Racing Legends

More threads by 260ebenz

sean sherry

Master
without a doubt this Video is the best I have ever seen.
Having been at the Ulster Grand Prix when Moss won in a Jaguar and also seeing Moss and Fangio race Mercedes with the Air Brake when I was an Apprentice Mechanic from 1950 on.. The mechanic I was apprenticed to was a Flag Marshal at all the Races on the Dundrod Circuit in the hills above Belfast, so I got to see them all till 1956 when I left to come here. I also remember seeing Moss win driving a Norton Engined Keif ( ? ) at an Airfield Circuit near the old Ards Grand Prix Circuit. He won that too. That was probably before he got the Jaguar contract. A long time ago !

Great days , also with the bikes , Goff Duke and Reggie Armstrong on the Italian 4 cyl Gilera at the Northwest and the old Claddy Circuit with the 7 mile straight. Manx Nortons won there as the Claddy straight was very undulating, The Gileras taking off as they were very light compare to the heavy Nortons which although 30 MPH slower, they stayed on the ground !
The younger people will have to Goggle the Nth Ireland Circuits of yesterday year. i.e. the Fifties , a wonderful time to grow up in.....

Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, you are lucky that you have been part of that era which has so many romantics when you look back. Moss of course, was the best GP driver never having won a Formula 1 championship, but his driving skills were one that legends were made of - and he's even still charming them today.

Racing in Ireland - unfortunately, thus far I have only ever seen videos of bike races at the Ulster circuit, and one really has to dip their hats at the courage with which the riders face up to possible adversity in those races. Them Irish lads...gotta give it to them. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Yes Styria, Road Racing in Ireland is not for the faint hearted... narrow roads and stone walls. I recall 23 times winner at The Isle of Mann ,Irish Man, Joey Dunlop ,saying that he liked to feel the Stone Walls with his elbows as he raced round ! I hope to go to Ireland in May , health permitting , and to sit behind a grass bank watching some local races , as in the fifties. It's still the same............Sean

sean sherry

Master
Styria ,just to show that I'm not just a one eyed Irishman, when we lived in Oxford U. K. in 1982 I bought our daughters Puch Bicycles. Very well made.

They also made very fast Split Single Two Stroke Racing Motor Cycles pre War. There are two as new Factory Bikes stored on a Farm outside Goulburn , they were stranded here when the 2nd World War started. They are works of Art.
Sean

Styria

The Godfather
As a kid, Sean (isn't it nice to have memories to call upon !), mother was the lessee of a hotel in Graz, second largest city in Austria, pop. about 250K. In those days, of course, and I am talking about 1956-1958, what was absolutlely the 'wanderslust' by the German tourists. Of course, we had the Puch motorcycles (mfg. in Graz), and they were beautifully put together, and right upthere with the NSUs (primarily) ridden by the Germans, with huge packpacks presumably containing all their creature comforts.

There were some Nortons as well, plus BMWs, but the last named were pretty expensive. Believe it or not, I used to see quite a few Matchlesses, with that beautiful 'M' logo on the tank, and the BSAs were also well represented, together with the two stroke Czech Jawas, with the handlebars emanating each side from the headlight. 2 stroke, blue plumes of smoke, but they were the hotties' favourite. You know, regarding those pre-war Puchs, have you ever seen them ? Obviously, I am not a prospective buyer, but it would be interesting to research their background history. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Talking about that hotel, and please forgive me if I am straying from the original thread, it was at best a 2 star hotel, with timber floors in the restaurant/bar and kitchen, as well as right through the four storey structure, with no lift but concrete steps. It had a very large cellar that was right next to a freely flowing canal, as per picture. However, moisture or water ingress was never an issue.

P9220303_zpsd2bc2832.jpg

The shield on the wall proclaims that it is the local headquarters of the Albanian Muslim society. When I was there in 2005, forty seven years after leaving Graz, I could still observe the bar and tables and chairs when looking through the window - the same as they had been at the time of leaving. The next is a sideview of the hotel, with the white door leading to the kitchen, the first floor window, third from the right, was my mother's room and right on the top floor, with the gabled window, was the room that was occupied by two dancers, one of whom was and has always been my first love.

P9220301_zps3d1b4a8f.jpg

The next is a frontal view of the hotel, showing the main entrance. The room, with the balcony, was occupied by myself and two friends, brothers, with whom I met up in 2005.

P9220299_zpse9feb4dc.jpg

The next picture shows the gymnasium (advanced high school)

P9210252_zps123416d0.jpg

whilst the next picture shows the shopfront where I had started to work as an apprentice. Needless to say, it is a different shop today.

P9220277_zps12320292.jpg

Apologies for reminiscing a little - I'd like to show you a little more, but Photobucket is somewhat stubborn. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Yes Styria, I have seen the Bikes about 6 or 7 years ago. I will find out if they are still there. Nice photos of your Home Town. Bev and I have been to Austria, seeing a wonder production of The Merry Widow in the old Opera House in Vienna and at another time some wonderfull Chamber Music in a Castle in Salzburg. :) The Coffee Houses are not too bad either !
Sean

sean sherry

Master
Hi Styria, the contact for the Puch Bikes is Steve Hazelton in Goulburn.

133 Marys Mount Rd . A couple of Ks out of Goulburn in an old Historic Property.
...Sean