Original Becker, or update? Discuss.

More threads by GreaseMonkey

WGB

There is another way to install the jackpoint that hit me today as I was leaving for an important trip to the hardware shop to buy the steel and bits to make an M117 valve spring compressor.

My two ML's both have a 3.5 mm jackpoint inside the glovebox into which I plug the ipods and leave the ipod in the glove box.

It would be easy to run the auxillary wiring out of the back of the Becker to a jackpoint mounted in the liner of the glove box and then get the best of all worlds - automatic switching, ipod hidden out of view and no holes drilled in the Becker.

Bill

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Top idea mate!
I will check to see if Soundlabs, or any others, can fix my old Mexico, and add the above mentioned mod at the same time.
I run my ipod through one of those cheap FM transmitters which you can set to a vacant frequency and then leave it in the glovebox anyway.
Hidden lead would be even better.
C.M.

WGB

The becker is capable of quite reasonable sound quality with an ipod for input if used directly.

The sound quality through the FM transmitter is very ordinary but most of them also charge the ipod which is a distinct advantage.

Then again the ipods we have seem to have the most amazing battery life anyway.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
I recently bought this mp3 cassette adapter from Dick Smith.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4aaab5d80b44f1f6273fc0a87e010713/Product/View/C9219

There is a cord that comes out of the cassette that plugs in to your ipod, iphone etc. then you just play the tape as normal. I have been using in the becker with no problems with yet.

Hi Anthony, I did look up the website but was not sure which item it was that you purchased. I wouldn't mind fitting something like that to the Pioneer unit that I have in Gleaming Beauty. Can you point me in the right direction ?

BTW, I am sorry that I did not get a real chance to spend more time with you on Sunday - it was all such a 'hurly burly' and I just never seemed to hook up with you at an appropriate time or place. Also, without wishing to be personal, nice to meet your wife 'with the Cronulla accent' :D and I am hoping that we'll see you and family at Anthony's (abl 567) ant's nest. Regards Styria N.B. Car still cranky when hot ? Let us know.

Anthony 350 sl

Sorry about that. The link must default or something. Try this
http://search.dse.com.au/search?w=c...ionid=4aaea2e507e406b8273fc0a87e0106bd&ts=new

It is the cassette adaptor.

Car was ok on the way home. On hot days and after driving for a while revs get very low when stationary and it sometimes stalls. I have to put it in neutral to keep the revs up.

BTW, I am sorry that I did not get a real chance to spend more time with you on Sunday - it was all such a 'hurly burly' and I just never seemed to hook up with you at an appropriate time or place.

Not a problem. You are de man in demand at these events. Am slowly brimging the family around to take an interest in these events

OP
B

BAR

In my experience Casette Adapters (been around since the first portable DVD players in the '80s) are about as useful as ...

Sound quality is very poor, so why take a bad quality input source (MP3 player or IPod) and make it worse.

Today one can buy a replacement single DIN unit with Auxillary Input (mini babana plug) for MP3, Walkman or iPod: Bluetooth (to connect your mobile phone), CD Player (both CDA and MP3 compatible playback) etc.

Much better audio quality and with the advantage of using the Bluetooth to connect one's mobile. It is now illegal in NSW to even touch a mobile phone whilst driving, but you can light cigarettes, fiddle with the whatevers and play with your sound system

SO better quality, easier to use AND safety first!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have a $200 Sony Tuner/Cd/Mp3 unit in my 690SEL and some matching speakers.

They do a great job, especially reading from a memory stick in the USB port with the name of the song, artist, etc displayed.

However, I feel they need a sizeable amplifier for that extra ooomph and I don't mean a thumper with subwoofers, etc...

That's my next project