Becker Radios

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If you have a Becker Mexico or Grand Prix I think it may have recently become signifiacntly more valuable. It appears that Becker have decided to drop the Mexico and Grand Prix from their catelogues due to falling sales in the face of competition from lower end companies who are providing integrated units with more buttons and readouts than one could use in a lifetime.
I discovered that you can still get them repaired but that may not continue for ever. Some retailers have limited stock that is disappearing rapidly.
Another sad tale for owners of classic cars.
Go and google car radios and be alarmed at the limited range available; more blue lights and enhancements than plain good quality sound.
At least there is still Nakamichi if good simple looks are important as well as good sound.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian i agree i still have my Becker Mexico tape deck plus the system in my car is Alpine dd drive splits with Alpine amps total wattage is 1200 Watts rms . And head unit is Nakamichi flagship tape deck with music bank cd changer . All up system was about 8500 back when bought in 1998 :D

WiSeGuYY

DANG MOTEC , if i may ask what kind of music you like to hear while driving? and you really not regreting paying so much for sound system?

REGARDS

TAREK

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tarek no problem i listen to a very wide selection of music from the 50's and through to current . I include some classical on there from time to time . I dont regret spending that amount of money in the 90's i used to compete in car audio competitions for sound quality still have trophys won. Currently while living in a hotel in Darwin for work for another 7 weeks listenig to Nicklebacks new album through a pair of Stax electrostatic headphones . :D

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi Tarek no problem i listen to a very wide selection of music from the 50's and through to current . I include some classical on there from time to time . I dont regret spending that amount of money in the 90's i used to compete in car audio competitions for sound quality still have trophys won. Currently while living in a hotel in Darwin for work for another 7 weeks listenig to Nicklebacks new album through a pair of Stax electrostatic headphones . :D
I love my Sennheiser electrostatic headphones - I can be in a world of my own at whatever volume I want - more into a Bach cantata than Nickleback but the principle is the same.
The audio equipment installed in cars is so ordinary but it can be so good. The CLK has the optional Harmon Kardon installation and that is very clear and crisp and the Becker + Alpine set up in the Spirit is very mellow and warm. I can't believe people put up with a $100 radio and $50 speakers in cars - just crap from the manufacturers.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian i agree most standard car stereos are not worth keeping . When i bought the Territory Ghia for my wife as her transport in 2006 i was appalled at the standard sound system . I went to Alberts here in Perth and upgraded the speakers to Focal with Rockford Fosgate interceptor box and amp fitted very happy with results. As the climate control screen is also the stereo sceen head unit cannot be replaced. A plus is reversing camera and sat nav in dash board. I have a liking to playing War of the Worlds when i like to relax . Current home system is Shanling T-100 cd player with Krell 300 amp and Sonique sav5se speakers:D

WiSeGuYY

Hey BRIAN& MOTEC , dang i never thought of sound system before , LOL my BMW x3 had the factory setup the business which integrated in the console i will not touch and fine speakers system of the M kit , for a man like me the CD is enough or usually i listen to the FM radio , the MERCEDES w204 also had the factory setup still can't touch it , the problem with my classics started few years back with my w126 i change my BECKER with SONY one of the BRIAN refere to it as COLOUR no end set with Digital everything .
NOW after MOTEC and BRIAN post i feel shame and think of getting back a BECKER we will see .
FOR BLU my recent W116 and the RED PIGLET w108 i will think what to use and available in here as speakers probably pioneer or JBL not sure yet .

about my HOUSE SYSTEM i use DENON set with KLEPSCH Floor stand speakers and for outdoor i will buy 2 PRX 635 JBL speakers ( the current is 2 pioneer) a bit old and must be changed .

REGARDS

TAREK

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian if you want the best car cd player it is the clarion HX-D2 it is plian to look at simple to use . And has not been beaten in any car sound off competion since release . All revues state it is the best sounding car cd player in the world and has a nice brushed alloy look to it . It was made at cost no object for soubd quality cost is just under $2000 :D

Oversize

Grand Master
The standard stereo in my Ghia sounds pretty good. It has splits in the front and originally had a sub (sadly removed due to the LPG tank). One day I'll get around to fitting a sub box in the boot...

In the house I have a Cambridge CD player, Denon receiver, B&W speakers and a SVS sub. I just love it!!! :D

Oversize

Grand Master
Does anyone have an original radio and if so, pix please!!! :)

braminator123

Aficionado
Hi All,

The Becker was taken out of my father's car many many years ago and I cannot find it!

How can I find out which model Becker was fitted to my car so I can go about locating one and getting it serviced before I put it in?

Also, I had the original Hirschmann electric aerial rebuilt but the mast has issues going up and done. Am considering replacing the whole unit for a new one. Anyone know where I can locate one?

Thanks All.

Oversize

Grand Master
On the radio issue it depends what you want. Do you want to keep the car completely original?? Do you intend to go to concourse level?

If it doesn't matter, I'd go aftermarket as they have much better features and will sound far superior. I'm looking at replacement units right now and I've noticed the cost of head units has come down significantly in recent years. What would've cost over $1K before, can be had for $500 now.

Although I don't know exactly how to find the specific details, unless your car was a very early W116, your original set was black plastic and butt ugly and used a tape deck as the best sound source! This is why many units have been replaced and I'd suggest most went straight in the bin.

The early W116 may've been fitted with the earlier and far more desirable pinstripe models, but even those aren't feature-packed by todays standards. I say may've because I'm not even sure if the Aussie delivered cars had them as standard equipment. I'd go so far to say they don't even look at home in a W116, as they suit the older interiors. Some people have gone to great lengths to upgrade the internals, or have the original unit function as the controller for a modern unit hidden somewhere else in the car. Although I once thought this was a good idea, I don't think I'll bother now.

I'm now looking at an Alpine head unit with DAB+.

Motec is very knowledgeable on all things hi-fi, so he'd be the one to ask for an opinion....

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
If you remove the aerial mast and lubricate it with CRC on the inside you may be able to resurrect it. I had a procedure that was almost failsafe:

Remove the mast by undoing the nut just below the head of the mast. Turn on the radio and allow the mast to extend. If it siezes part way give it a hand and don't let it stop, or you'll have to try again.

Once out and you need to extend the mast fully; even if you have to apply force. Carefully straighten the bends without applying any more force than necessary to correct the defects. Rotate to identify other bends. Then lube thoroughly with CRC and force (if necessary) the whole mast into the retracted position. Extend and retract completely at least a dozen times to be confident it operates smoothly.

Then I'd wash it off with kero and degreaser and dry completely. If you leave it covered in CRC (or other like lubricants), it'll attract dust and fail in no-time. After it's dry, I'd apply a light film of silicone spray and re-install.

There's a bit of a trick to installing the mast as you have to make sure the nylon cord curls as per the body shape of the aerial. Radio on you can feed the cord into the shaft until it engages with the gear wheel within the aerial. I'm sure there's a ledge in there just before it engages, which can fool you to believe you've got it right. You'll know soon enough when a mate turns the radio off. If you're spot-on the mast will retract and all you have to do is tighten the 12mm nut. Wrong and you'll stand there all day waiting to something to happen!

If it still doesn't work properly, try a new mast. Failing that, you have no choice but to buy a whole new aerial. Not sure where's the best place to pick one up ATM.

Oversize

Grand Master

6.9forever

Noble
For telescoping mast for Hirschman aerial available from Sydney supplier then, see my post of 16 April 2008.. Also story re cleaning.

6.9forever

Noble
For telescoping mast for Hirschman aerial available from Sydney supplier then, see my post of 16 April 2008. Also story re cleaning.