Becker Mexico Cassette - removed from 1979 280SEL

More threads by B13

B13

Pulled from a low milage 280SEL 1979 is this Becker Mexico Cassette. Good cosmetic condition its untested but comes with the alloy tabs needed to mount him in your W116.

PM offers to me, or if you want a picture of it PM me your email address.

Its in Melbourne, yes I'll post it at your expense.

Ian.

Styria

The Godfather
It ought to be everyone's aim to have a nice looking, a nice sounding, Becker Mexico in your 107 or 116 - unless you have something more suitable - for your own taste.

I have the most gorgeous looking Pioneer in Gleaming Beauty ("gorgeous" as in Prince of Arabia speak ! ), and I honestly cannot think or imagine a nicer unit in my "baby" - $1100.00 worth, HONEST ! Photo to come. Regards Styria.....

...and, it's not worth that money.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And the nice thing about the original Beckers is that they can be repaired rather than thrown away - even the cassette section can be repaired. Now that is superior to many other brands who no longer carry spare parts.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

And the nice thing about the original Beckers is that they can be repaired rather than thrown away - even the cassette section can be repaired. Now that is superior to many other brands who no longer carry spare parts.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Do you know someone who is capable to fix these?
Mine works, but developed a loud screaming noise,
(no it wasn't the passenger!) and my M-B mechanic said chuck it (I didn't) it's a common failure.
Not bothered about cassettes though.
Chris M.

Styria

The Godfather
....or try Styria - he's had plenty of them repaired, including the cassette feature...Regards Styria

OP
B

B13

Thanks to those who responded. Its now sold.

B

BAR

A china egg looks good to a chicken, but it won't feed you.

A Becker Mexico may be original, but not very good in today's terms.

After all would any one of you like to put on the old 1970's tyres and drive around?

Quality, performance and period ... each has a place and I'd rate them that way.

oscar

After all would any one of you like to put on the old 1970's tyres and drive around?

If they were new michelin XWX's yes :D

I know what you mean Bar and I agree. ;) But I'm hoping one day that a decent speaker and amp might be able to bring the Mexico up to scratch. Don't know much about the internals and processing power but I would assume (hope) that the 70's electronics can at least feed a decent signal for a quality amp and quality speakers and sub to turn the w116 interior into a sound stage. I'm not an audiophile in the strict sense so whatever I do myself will fall below the mark as it has done already.

WGB

I have a Becker in my 6.9 with an ipod input and a modern amp and speakers and while it can't hold a candle to the Harmon Kardon's in our two ML's it isn't that bad.

It needs a sub to match the quality of the high end but I haven't worked out where to put one other thean the boot with a pipe into the interior.

Bill