KE Jetronic issues

More threads by mathew

mathew

Well it seems my sweet running 420SEL was short lived a few weeks back he started to hesitate on take off. Nothing drastic but being ecentricaly in love with my car, I knew he was not feeling well. So I pulled the plugs only to find they were sooty, cleaned refitted and no improvement. So I took it out for a 200km spin and cleared out the cob webs, for one week all was good alas it didn't last.

Weird thing was, it started first turn of the key idled ok but touch that pedal and it would almost die and once warm the idle was woeful!!!! Given it's not far off 400,000km I figured thos injectors might need to go, wow there was almost no seal left on half of them and they were looking bloody tired. So having found a parts supplier in the US that is 80% cheaper then here, you know what I did. New injectors, seals and mounts, inlcuding upgraded rubber seals for mounts. Brought new pumps, filter as well as they were on sale.
DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Now of course all was going well till I discovered at some point the injectors had been removed and refitted and the bolt head stripped!!! Ever tried getting stripped bolts out of a 22 year old intake manifold not bloody good people!!!!

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Of course as you do, you find a mirade of other old worn out bits that have helped your engine run like a dog. So I took the plunge and replaced all the rubber vacum hoses as you can see several were completely broken and I really wonder how it run at all, looking back at it.

DSC_0044.jpg

Then I decided to replace the EHA valve on the fuel distributor as well, because it did seem to be running lean at random lucky that was on sale not cheap!

Once I finally got it all back together big job, I turned the key holy crap what have I done, it choked spluttered and died on the spot God the misses will never let me live it down if I can't get it running. Hot tip when working on a car at 2am always check things the next day, turned out I hadn't tightened the hoses to the fuel pumps, nice pool of fuel back there. So final check done turned the key and presto he runs not smooth but running none the less. So after two hours of adjusting the fuel distributor and EHA valve I finally havee him running sweet it pulls like never before and you can balance a coin on the engine it's that smooth! The power is awesome the gear chanegs heaps smoother and even the climate control seems to be working better, it's amazing what eliminating vaccum leaks can do! If you have an old car it might be time to cheack those rubber hoses and replace them whilst you can still get them!

8-10.jpg

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice ending to a heartening story Mat.

I have always believed you're in the wrong business!

Well done mate.:D
Glad to read the Gov is in shape again

260ebenz

Master
The trials and tribulations of a Battleship! LOL.
;)

All jokes aside Keano good to hear The Gov is alive and well!

BTW can't see the photos would be interested to see the pics you posted.

All the best mate.

Styria

The Godfather
Matt, thanks for the comprehensive post - I just wish I could download the pictures. I have gone left, I have gone right, gone double, but I just get nothing - not a thing. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Shall I guess he's added the wrong Photobucket links? Try the last one on the drop-down box under the pics... I'd love to see them too! :)

Tony66_au

The issue was one too many of these
DSC_0044.jpg

I edited them out of this quote

Well it seems my sweet running 420SEL was short lived a few weeks back he started to hesitate on take off. Nothing drastic but being ecentricaly in love with my car, I knew he was not feeling well. So I pulled the plugs only to find they were sooty, cleaned refitted and no improvement. So I took it out for a 200km spin and cleared out the cob webs, for one week all was good alas it didn't last.

Weird thing was, it started first turn of the key idled ok but touch that pedal and it would almost die and once warm the idle was woeful!!!! Given it's not far off 400,000km I figured thos injectors might need to go, wow there was almost no seal left on half of them and they were looking bloody tired. So having found a parts supplier in the US that is 80% cheaper then here, you know what I did. New injectors, seals and mounts, inlcuding upgraded rubber seals for mounts. Brought new pumps, filter as well as they were on sale.
DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Now of course all was going well till I discovered at some point the injectors had been removed and refitted and the bolt head stripped!!! Ever tried getting stripped bolts out of a 22 year old intake manifold not bloody good people!!!!

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Of course as you do, you find a mirade of other old worn out bits that have helped your engine run like a dog. So I took the plunge and replaced all the rubber vacum hoses as you can see several were completely broken and I really wonder how it run at all, looking back at it.

DSC_0044.jpg

Then I decided to replace the EHA valve on the fuel distributor as well, because it did seem to be running lean at random lucky that was on sale not cheap!

Once I finally got it all back together big job, I turned the key holy crap what have I done, it choked spluttered and died on the spot God the misses will never let me live it down if I can't get it running. Hot tip when working on a car at 2am always check things the next day, turned out I hadn't tightened the hoses to the fuel pumps, nice pool of fuel back there. So final check done turned the key and presto he runs not smooth but running none the less. So after two hours of adjusting the fuel distributor and EHA valve I finally havee him running sweet it pulls like never before and you can balance a coin on the engine it's that smooth! The power is awesome the gear chanegs heaps smoother and even the climate control seems to be working better, it's amazing what eliminating vaccum leaks can do! If you have an old car it might be time to cheack those rubber hoses and replace them whilst you can still get them!

8-10.jpg

260ebenz

Master
Tony thanks for working out the problem with the photos I can see them now.

Mat sure has had his hands full with the KE Jetronic issue but a positive outcome that's good to hear!

Hey Mat left a message on your phone about the hydraulic fluid hope you got the message?

Cheers.

OP
mathew

mathew

Thanks Tony for fixing the picture problem. Well despite the frustration of the problem it did force me to learn how this system works to the very last detail and I even managed to track down a Bosch KE manual very hard to get. Whilst it is a very complex system it is in fact a very simple design as such and quite easy to trouble shoot once you have educated your self on the finer details. More than anything else though you need patience and time to adjust drive test, adjust drive test and so on. Now I'm working on a 560SEL fuel fault for a friend at work here's hoping I can get lucky twice lol.

Cheers Mat.