Electric v Vacuum

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
As Cars shun Vacuum controls the modern trend is to use Sensors and electric motors. With our two C Class CGI Mercedes I could not find a vacuum take off point to introduce a cleaner into the Manifold to clean the intake valves. As only Air now passes them with direction injection there is no longer fuel passing to keep them clean. Then I remembered that the MAP Sensor is plugged into the inlet Manifold, buried under the Air filter box and the ECU. So nothing ventured nothing gained , I removed it and was able to spray in a can of special cleaning fluid. Same as Subaru use in their Boxer Engines. Also Porsche Boxer Engines. . The engine still ran with the Sensor out. :):)

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, you're quite adventurous. Was it necessary to clean the unit ? I had a very slight issue at one time with my Captiva that was reluctant to start after filling up with petrol. The mechanics that service the car cleaned the throttle sensor (I think) and this seems to have fixed it. Well, it's been trouble free for a few months now. Regards Styria