Electric Windows

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
The windows on my 109's and 126 work when the ignition is off but the drivers door is open, they only work while the ignition is on in the 116, regardless of the drivers doors position. Is there an issue with my 116 or is this how it should be? if so why the change and change back between generations?

Styria

The Godfather
Well Anthony, whatever the W116 is doing, it is doing it correctly. In other words, you must have the ignition on. I am quite puzzled by your other experiences - I know that on my 420SEL the same principles apply as in the W116, and I must admit I know nothing of an open door feature. Maybe Helmet might be able to clear this up. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Dear Ant, Your W116 is as its maker intended. It's your other cars that are being feral.
My CLK350 and ML320 will not allow window operation when the door is open in the manner you find with your ferals. :D
Regards,
Brian

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
I know it is correct operation in the 109 as I have read it in the owners manual, so I presumed it would work that way in the 126 when I got it, and it does.
That's why I'm surprised it doesn't work that way in the 116 and curious as to why?

Styria

The Godfather
I know it is correct operation in the 109 as I have read it in the owners manual, so I presumed it would work that way in the 126 when I got it, and it does.
That's why I'm surprised it doesn't work that way in the 116 and curious as to why?

That open driver's door still has got me tossed - now, Anthony, what time of day or night was it when you checked this / :D Did you sort of stand there swinging the door to and fro, or perhaps did you sort of swing on it as you were operating the switch on the gearbox console ?

Oh Gosh, I just couldn't help being a smarty-pant so early this morning. Please forgive me, but I've got tears in my eyes as I am letting my imagination run wild. Anyway, it is a serious subject matter - I will check the veracity of your findings on my 420SEL this morning. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ant wrote: "The windows on my 109's and 126 work when the ignition is off but the drivers door is open, they only work while the ignition is on in the 116, regardless of the drivers doors position."

I checked both the ML and the CLK this morning and they both operate in the same way as your W116. I believe it is a safety requirement to avoid children jamming fingers and necks in the window as it closes. I remember when the requirement was talked about but not when it was mandated.
Regards,
Brian

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Being introduced as a safety measure makes sense, what doesn't is the skip in generation. I don't have my 126 here to double check so we will have to wait for Styria to report back, unless his is different not being Australian delivered as mine is.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Quote Styria from another thread
Anthony, you were dead right - I checked my non-Australian complied 420SEL and sure enough, the electric windows are operational without ignition on, nor engine running. Honestly, I am quite flabbergasted. Regards Styria

So the big big question is why it skipped a generation with the 116?

I find it a very convenient feature in the 109 & 126, and a pest to have to go get the keys and turn the ignition on just to roll down the window while the car is parked at work

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Ahoy Mat Kean,
How do the windows in the W140 operate?

This would make a great Col8 thread, NOT

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
4898 posts to go...

4897 bottles on the wall

260ebenz

Master
Maybe the W126s are faulty? Current cars act the same as the W116. Perhaps Tim could check his 300?
Regards,
Brian

Test it out tomorrow and report back okay.

Battleship owner Mat has been sent an email about how the windows work in the W140.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Throw on my white lab coat and conduct the test now okay.

Dr.Leece will send you the bill for conducting the test and sorry cash only NO cards excepted! LOL.
;)

260ebenz

Master
Sorry guys the test was unsuccessful.

Someone else with a W126 can do the test now perhaps?

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm not convinced Tim, please try,
Key in ignition, IGNITION OFF,
Drivers door open, try the window switch to open the window
Result?

Opps, Mod reply

WiSeGuYY

LOL GUYS , i never thought i will INFORM you something you don't know

but in fact my w126 also have windows open and close without ignition providing doors are open.i don't know that Australian versions act different.

REGARDS

TAREK

260ebenz

Master
Maybe the W126 Manuals I posted on the Forum make mention about the electric windows?