Driver's Window Regulator for RHD 6.9

More threads by chrisp

chrisp

Hello,

Does anyone know of a source for these? As you can see from this picture, mine has seen better days:

15112010005.jpg

15112010004.jpg

15112010003.jpg

I remember Styria mentioning that there is a viable alternative to the genuine article but I can't recall the details, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Chris

John S

That type of simple break looks like it can be welded back together without too much trouble by a competent aluminium welder. May need an extra support plate but it certainly looks possible.

What I don’t understand is why it would break like that, I would have thought stripping teeth or bending was a more likely scenario.

OP
chrisp

chrisp

Hi JohnS,

I'm not sure how it broke but one day the window stopped working and this was the result. Before I start organising for it to be attacked by a welder can you confirm it's definitely aluminium? It's die-cast isn't it? I just want to make sure it's not magnesium or something equally flammable!

Regards,

Chris

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Perhaps it would be cheaper to get another from a car wrecker.

There is a 450 SEL (in Sydney) that would have one. Perhaps it could be railed to you.

Yesterday I broke a front bumper rubber off my 6.9 on my garage door post. I went straight to the above mentioned car, took the replacement and fitted it.

Cost? A bit of inconvenience for me, but Pick 'n Payless let me have the rubber for nought. No doubt they would charge for a complete window lift mechanism, but my guess is that you could get it for less than $50.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi ChrisP. and JohnS., I have my doubts that this break could be welded successfully as I tend to think it's cast alloy and even if you could find a welder competent enough, the cost might be such that it would be preferable to get an alternative unit.

This sort of breakage is not uncommon with these regulators - BTW, I do have one on hand, but I would prefer the possibility of obtaining an after market cable operated unit that would come with its own motor. I will makje another attempt tomorrow (Wednesday) to establish contact with the supplier. The electric motors that are part of the Mercedes arrangement are quite foolproof and long lasting, and proper meshing of the gear teeth is also njot a major issue with the front units. The rears are different - what a terrible arrangement - these regulators are under severe stress all the time. Regards Styria

BTW, there is a picture of the passenger after market unit in one of my recent posts on repainting Gleaming Beauty.

OP
chrisp

chrisp

Perhaps it would be cheaper to get another from a car wrecker.

There is a 450 SEL (in Sydney) that would have one. Perhaps it could be railed to you.

Yesterday I broke a front bumper rubber off my 6.9 on my garage door post. I went straight to the above mentioned car, took the replacement and fitted it.

Cost? A bit of inconvenience for me, but Pick 'n Payless let me have the rubber for nought. No doubt they would charge for a complete window lift mechanism, but my guess is that you could get it for less than $50.

Hi David,

Would you be able to send me some contact details for Pick 'n' Payless?

Many thanks,

Chris

P.S. Thanks for investigating the aftermarket items, Styria, keen to hear how you get on.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi ChrisP., the after market item is no longer available from the local supplier, and the owner of the business was not prepared to divulge his overseas source. Checking on availability from my own stock. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I think I can now expand on the matter of electric window regulators more fully. Following ChrisP.'s illustrations and request for help to find a replacement, I decided that it was time to tackle this problem more thoroughly. I have previously made reference to the units that operate the rear windows - quite frankly, the design is abominable. Just have a look at one of the units I pulled out of Gleaming Beauty and take note of the twisted base plate and the out of alignment meshing of the two gears......

GleamingBeautyRestoration072.jpg

....and believe it or note, those rear regulators still worked - somewhat noisily, but they worked.

Now, I had known that the front regulators were "very pricey". Following Chris' post, I decided to double check on the replacement cost. It was horrific, and I mean just that. It was explained to me that Mercedes sort of increase prices by about 3% p.a. - I reckon that a 'nought' has been left out of the equation, meaning at least 30% REGULARLY. I was flattened in no uncertain manner. When a likely after-market source turned out to be negative, panic started to set in and I decided to gather all regulators (116s) I could lay my hands on. It was absolutely imperative that I had spare units. So this is the pile I finished up with, and that I had to examine for possible use.

GleamingBeautyRestoration082.jpg

More of the same with some other parts - please note the two NEW air bags already fitted to their towers - they are for sale, at $200.00 each.

GleamingBeautyRestoration083.jpg

Anyway, I mustn't digress.I am still in the process of sorting things. First of all, the motors. They are long lasting, and there is left and right (both front and rear), and front and rear motors are not interchangeable. I have already repaired two rear base plates (successfully I hope) and I will be fitting those to Gleaming Beauty. Absolutely short of right hand front, have some lefties, but they will need to be seen to. Another item I would like to mention. All windows are a very tight fit in their Bailey channels, and both motors and regulators have their work cut out. I am also please to report that I have finally found some after market regulators (with motor included) and they sell for a lot less than the Mercedes units. The future looks brighter. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a short addendum. You may wish to take note of instructions how to disassemble the internals of your rear door - disassembly, but more importantly, reassembly should follow the hints that I have written out.

GleamingBeautyRestoration069.jpg

Good Luck, Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I like the 'Hey Presto!' bit!

Seriously though, the general design of the window lift mechanism (all doors) is abominable. The pressure diecast base plate cannot be repaired. At least I think that, if repaired by welding or whatever, would quickly fail again, because of the stress in which this item is placed under. The crystalline structure of the diecast metal around the weld I feel, would be seriously weakened, even if a weld could be made.

The diecast metal base plates in every example in the photographs were bent.

I seems to me that Mercedes Benz may have not manufactured the 'genuine' atricles in the first place. If they had made them themselves, I feel sure that they would have done many repeat tests to destruction. I conclude that they were made by an outside supplier under contract. To my mind, Mercedes vehicles were generally better built then than they are now, but not necessarily in this case.

Styria has very obviously demonstrated to me that the aftermarket design, which is totally different in concept, is also very obviously superior.

It is very obvious also to me, that another source for the supply of the aftermarket window lift apparatus would best be found, even if a 'genuine' second hand replacement was available. The drivers door window lift is the item most often used, and therefore most prone to failure.

A second hand replacement may be cheaper, but in this case, would not be better.

abl567

Super Moderator
Styria, they look like rear bags and towers for a 109, if so and the bellows are not dated 1976 I'll take them;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, they are about two years old. I'll bring them to your factory when next in your area. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria wrote: "Now, I had known that the front regulators were "very pricey". Following Chris' post, I decided to double check on the replacement cost. It was horrific, and I mean just that. It was explained to me that Mercedes sort of increase prices by about 3% p.a. - I reckon that a 'nought' has been left out of the equation, meaning at least 30% REGULARLY."
And the price is?????????????
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Son, tell 'em the price, tell 'em the price, son ! Here goes. It always worries me when one Mercedes Benz dealer suggests that another one in South Australia have got a 'a couple on their hands' and I am sure that they didn't pay all that money for them and that you could probably haggle them down ! The figure was $1K.plus, but I have located an aftermarket unit, with better working properties, for a lot less money than that. Still negotiating final price. Forget MB - in any case, I can, or should be able to, provide used original units at about $120.00.

Quite honestly, I was too embarassed to reveal the original price quoted in the beginning - it is beyond comprehension.

As a matter of interest, if anyone is interested in purchasing the centre alloy strip spine for the 116 grille, it is yours for $70.00. I would imagine, and dare say that, if they cost $12.00 each, they would sell half of the 1600 presently in stock over in Germany. Not my figures - supplied by a MB Dealer. Regards Styria Yeah well, buy them, before they double in price sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
So owning an R-R is cheap by comparison.
To replace ALL components on the window regulator including the electrical connections, motor etc on a Shadow of the same time period is $500.
Thankfully when I replaced the regulator on the 450SE two years ago it cost $125 from M-B...
So what has happened to prices?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I don't have the answer. However, I am fairly certain that you are quoting the price of a rear regulator. Am I correct ? I only enquired about the front unit.....as well, are you certain that you bought yours only two years ago ? I seem to recall that when I checked round about that time ago, the price was already at close enough to six hundred'

Obviously, I have no idea who sets the prices - I am sure there are dozens of reasons, insinuations and guesses that have been poffered about for years now, and really no one has ever come close to working out the basis on which spare parts prices are set. Let me have a guess though - the personnel responsible certainly would not be owning a 116, nor would they be asked to fork out the 'dosh' that Australian sourced spares are responsible for. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Front driver's side. I have the receipt in front of me....
A mystery indeed Mr S.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

It certainly makes a mockery of the supposed 3% compounding increase on a yearly basis, doesn't it ? That price came with the compliments of Marshalls in Sydney. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Classic Centre list prices, in US dollars are $354 for fronts and $428 for rear, plus shipping