My New Daily Driver

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

So, it's not a Benz however it's still a sehr gute deutsches auto!! ;D

I was spending about $200 per week on petrol as it is, then factoring in other costs in rego / insurance etc etc.. it made sense that I needed something that was going to be a bit more economical. Doing a novated lease through work, this machine works out to be about the same $200 pw, but covers petrol / maintenance / rubber / insurance / rego / etc..
AND, it means that I'll have something to drive while other 'modification' work is performed on the 6.9SE throughout the year.

Model is 2006 Audi A4 (B7) Quattro. S Line (sports suspension and a body kit etc), 2.0T, 6spd Manual, Full Cow Interior.

Quick Review: It's got a nice amount of punch and is zippy, but to be honest - I'm missing the torque. ::) No suprise going from an M100 to a 4cylinder.
Don't get me wrong though, being an AWD vehicle it's absolutely f*king amazing on corners and nothing i've driven before this has come close to it in the handling stakes.
With ESP installed, you would have to basically run it straight into a tree to have an accident. It just sticks. Turbo doesn't really kick in until about 2700rpms, but then delivers nice and smooth throughout the range, drops off at about 500rpms before the redline of 7k rpms, but that's no suprise either. Gearbox is very distinct and solid, and snap shifts also work fine with no noise or crunching.

I chose the Audi over the C200 Kompressor, cause basically the interior styling is nicer, direct comparison on year model etc... The Audi is just that bit nicer.. shyteloads of airbags (same as the C200K), but better Stereo on the S Line (10 or 12 speakers or something.. very very sweet sound), also more manuals available in the Audi - hardly any manual C200K's around. Seats were that bit nicer.. And the S Line A4 overall, felt more sporty than the C200K AMG.

Cam.

th_DSC_0161.jpgth_DSC_0164.jpg
th_DSC_0174.jpg
th_DSC_0175.jpg
th_DSC_0166.jpg
th_DSC_0167.jpg
th_DSC_0169.jpg
th_DSC_0171.jpg
th_DSC_0172.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Cam, I am not surprised at your findings and the conclusions you have arrived at. Nowadays, and especially in the last five to six years, AUDI have given Mercedes a real run for their money - in fact, they are probably, no quite distinctly, the preferable form of transport, especially with the younger people - and I am talking about Austria and Germany.

In my opinion, and judging from cars on the road, Audi are definitely outselling Mercedes. Regards Styria - BTW, thanks for the pics - it is a fine and sporty looking car.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice choice Cam,

I am testing an Audi S5 convertible this week.:D

What a blast! V6 turbo and all-wheel-drive Quattro....:p

That is one smooth and wild baby...

Hope you have lotsa fun with your new toy.;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Nice Car Cam i hope you enjoy i looked at a 2 year old allroad before the fun police said i had to get new car so i bought awd Territory Ghia with 6 speed auto it is out off lease in Nov so we will see in the mean time i have the bike:D

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Thanks Fellas. Styria, I have no doubt that Audi are outselling MB - and I put it mainly down to Styling and Performance. When I say performance, I mean additional performance that can be acquired. MB don't exactly have too many off the shelf mod's, they're mainly sedate drivers. Audi's allow the owner to purchase a plethora of mods that increase the performance (even though stock is already quite punchy) by a bucketload.

Have fun with the S5 Michel. I looked at them, and took one for a test drive - but the fun police said it had to have 4 doors.. And the A6 isn't quite as sporty as the A4, so I went this one...

APR have a Stage 3 turbo kit (everything incl) for about 10k.. close to 400hp at all wheels. :cool:
Maybe after the 6.9SE is finished. :D

Lukas

Nice choice - I'd have done the same. I thought I had heard somewhere that any leased vehicle had to be no more than 3 years old, but obviously not the case, which is good, as it opens up the possibilities much more.

Don't know how it would have compared financially, but I've seen some (new) Skoda Superbs around lately - also quite nice looking, although no idea on the mechanicals.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I thought I had heard somewhere that any leased vehicle had to be no more than 3 years old, but obviously not the case, which is good, as it opens up the possibilities much more..

The Queen of Sheba is currently leased :D