6.9 as a daily driver

More threads by WGB

WGB

I have been waiting for a new set of tyres for my ML 500 and as one is a little close to the limit on one edge I have been using my 6.9 each day for work.

I generally drive 400 to 500 km per week so it must be a bit of a shock for the old girl (who turned 30 on the 24th of January) to be treated like a "bought one" but so far she has not missed a single beat.

It is delightful to drive the low stressed torquey motor through the Perth Hills and the water temp has sat doggedly on 80 degrees with the odd wander up to 85 in the warm weather.

Only complaint is a squeak in the interior fan at low speed which is intermittent and didn't do it when the fan was removed from the car for checking (of course).

Should be an even better drive when I have finished replacing all suspension rubbers and ball joints.

Bill

B13

6.9 makes a great daily driver, mine gets driven daily and cleaned and detailed on the weekends... and filled with petrol fortnightly

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
6.9 makes a great daily driver, mine gets driven daily and cleaned and detailed on the weekends... and filled with petrol fortnightly

How did you end up fixing the suspension problems at the front?

B13

How did you end up fixing the suspension problems at the front?

By ignoring them.

I'm getting a hose remanufactured this weekend and will tackle the problem again on Monday.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
By ignoring them.

I'm getting a hose remanufactured this weekend and will tackle the problem again on Monday.

Keep us informed....

Styria

The Godfather
I have used "Gleaming Beauty" as an every day driver for in excess of fourteen years now, and whilst I have always kept up a good supply of petrol to her, she is still thirsty and never objects to more !

Seriously though, a 6.9 can serve as a splendid every day driver, and not cause you undue hassles. Naturally, they should now be considered as 'old cars' and regular minor maintenance should be the order of the day. Having said that, however, there are no inherently troublesome issues with them. Mechanically, they are beautifully designed and what I like is that you could go on a four hundred kilometer trip, and the engine will still idle away nicely as if you had just started your journey when you have arrived.

I have also found that 2800-3500 rpm is a great torque range. Say you're driving along at about 2.5, and keep a steady foot on the accelerator, that motor will gradually take over and start spinning towards 2.8 and just simply maintain that rev range. On the open road, 120 is a cinch and it just wants to pick up more and more speed....or take an ever so slight downhill section - the increase from 120 to 150, without prompting, is remarkable. Yes, I think the more you drive them, the more you like them - as every day drivers. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I concur with the Godfather.

When they are in good shape (6.9s) they are the best.

Yes you will use a touch more petrol, but then again, if you can't afford the petrol, you can't afford the car.

AAB

My wife & I spend more on our daily cappucinos than we do on fuel for the 450SEL,.. ( do 25,000 km plus p/a ) & she would kill me if I suggested we get a smaller car...She does not drive,..she is a Yankee & thinks Victorian drivers are terrible ( no comments please !! )

Just noticed that I am " Respectable " !!,..all of my Barnes rellies would kill themselves laughing at that one.

Regards,

Alex

( the respectable Barnes )

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My wife & I spend more on our daily cappucinos than we do on fuel for the 450SEL,.. ( do 25,000 km plus p/a ) & she would kill me if I suggested we get a smaller car...She does not drive,..she is a Yankee & thinks Victorian drivers are terrible ( no comments please !! )

Just noticed that I am " Respectable " !!,..all of my Barnes rellies would kill themselves laughing at that one.

Regards,

Alex

( the respectable Barnes )

You could become Distinguished and then a Connoisseur,, before you become an Afficionado.
After that.... the world is your oyster.....:p

Styria

The Godfather
Hi AAB, you just need to let your fingers do the talking on the keyboard - plus, I for one, would like to see some pics of your car, and perhaps details of work etc. etc. that have been carried out.

Presently. I am re-commissioning a 450SE that's been sitting idly in my back yard for some considerable time. Getting it up and running has proven to be quite a challenge. Regards Styria

johnj

Hi all I use my 6.9 every day I have several cars to to use , but I can not go past the 6.9 I think I did approx 25,000 klm last year The only expence comeing up is may be a new battery

AAB

Ah !!! Glad you are back !!!

A brief history of my 450SEL,..bought 30 Nov 1989,..had 137,000 on the clock,..& had done about 500 km in the previous 10 years,.. due to a widow not using very much.

I had automatic & engine seals problems at first due ( I think ) to the lack of use over the 10 year period.

Eventually the green colour started to go strange ( Volvos do it also ) & I had a re-duco done.

I required that everything had to be stripped out, windows, new seals etc & it had to look as if it just come out of the showroom. It looked great ( & still does ),..& is still the best looking car in our street.

The W116's have about the right amount of chrome, & the bumpers are something else !!

At 450,000 km, I had a recond motor put in because the original was burning a litre per 1,000 km,.( which in hindsight was not excessive ? )

At the time of the engine job, I put in a recond auto as well.

How do I post pictures to this forum ?

Regards,

Alex

s class

I've not needed to use the 6.9 daily simply because I have a 280SE which does everything just as well. (obviously a bit less power). Great in traffic, cruises all day at 130km/h (begs to go faster).

Its about to come off the road for a much needed paint job so I'll be forced to drive the 450SL. IMHO quite a come down after a W116, no offense to the W107 fans.