Cruise Control

More threads by Michel

rosstamon

Hello Lads
this is from Autohaus Arizona -tried to set up a link but failed...

Makes > 1977 Mercedes > 280SE > cruise control > Cruise Control Amplifier/Valve

Part Number Brand / Description / Restrictions List Core Your Price Qty Select

0015457032X
Programma (OE Rebuilt)
Cruise Control Amplifier/Valve
Please specify Mercedes number on original unit, this unit replaces numerous original numbers. 1 per car. $950.00 $60.00 $152.66

That's normal list $ -followed by core (exchange?) -and then your price $152.66
not bad at all might get one for gollum (after the injectors replacement -176k on the current set) I have purchased from these boys before and no problems

s class

As an electronics engineer, I'll make the following comment :

Capacitors come in many varieties, including polyester, polystyrene, electrolytic, mica, tantalum.

They differ in their construction and the type of dielectic separating the plates. They are all capacitors, and exhibit capacitance as expected, but other side effects. Its the different side effects that separates the in-circuit behavior of the different types.

In general, electrolytics are the cheapest, with the widest tolerance on their value, but tend to offer high capacitance values. Interestingly, one of their parasitic properties is inductance (which in very crude terms is the 'opposite' of capacitance).

Tantalum are some of the most precise.

The point of all this is that any particular circuit will include a range of different types, all chosen for particular reasons. Replacing them with the wrong types could lead to unexpected circuit behaviour, even if the nominal capacitance rating of the replacement components is correct.

A good components supplier should be able to identify the different types and supply appropriate replacements (which may not necessarily look the same as the 30 year old ones).

styria makes a good point- I'd fix my own amps, but I'd be wary of doing other people's !

rosstamon

$160 dollars for a guaranteed (one year) factory spec unit...why would you risk even poking around in the old one anyway? Why don't I go ahead and order one and see how it goes. If it works I'll happily report on it here...If it catastrophically fails I'll try to contact you from the "other side...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Rosstamon, if you were to be 'on the other side'. I doubt if we would get much of a report from you. :D However, by all means, I would suggest that you go ahaed and try one of their excellent products. They're a good organization and the only pronblem I've had have been in relation to heater hoses - they kept on supplying units for a 450SLC - in the end, I gave up and bought locally from the Dealers. Regards Styria

B

BAR

Hi there

Having looked at the Autohaus site, one has to be careful of the true costs.

Purchase price is around US$160, but their delivery charges would embarass the Queen's messenger. US$60 for freight [within USA]. Plus a 'refundable' deposit of US$60. So one would presume that the 'old' unit would need to de sent back. Add in another US$30 from Australia to USA. and then wait for the deposit money to come back to your account.

The true cost is double the purchase price!

B

BAR

Cruise Control - local supplier

I always prefer to deal locall or nationally. That avoids issues such as compliance or compatibility of components and also the extra cost of send funds overseas [around $25-20 for a wire transfer].

The assurance of being able to get there and get satisfaction is not to be avoided. When it comes to the cruise control, well the part listed at AutoHaus is different from that on my cruise control and it makes me wary that it may not work on my vehicle.

So all that said, why not get in touch with Colin at MB Spares in Canberra. Better still, send your old electronic unit to them - 14 Lyell Street, Fyshwick, ACT 2609 and for $245 they'll have your original unit rebuilt - guaranteed to work - and return it to you.

Total compatibilty is thus ensured! It's also cheaper than buying a rebuilt unit from the States.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have decided to get an exchange unit from Styria (the Godfather) which he has agreed to supply and fit to the 690SEL after I return from Europe...

I shall keep you posted...;)

-bb-

Noble
I wouldnt automatically assume it's the cruise control unit. My 450 had an exchange one put in by the last owner (have the receipt) and the cruise is still no go.

Initially, it might be worth fitting a known good unit as a trial to see if it makes any difference.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I wouldnt automatically assume it's the cruise control unit. My 450 had an exchange one put in by the last owner (have the receipt) and the cruise is still no go.

Initially, it might be worth fitting a known good unit as a trial to see if it makes any difference.

That makes sense BB..
In anycase, I would get the Godfather to go through the whole lot.... bit by bit.. until we get the darn thing working..:D

rosstamon

Nice bit of detective work comrade BAR -and I agree if it's available...shop local. (Styria I didn't realize you currently supplied said units?) whether this fixes the CC or not we shall see. I think if one is serious about overhauling the system replacing the 'unit' is something your going to want to do. which brings me to the point...I've decided that at least for now, the cruise control 'ain't no big thang' and I think I'll just settle back with a sweet little cask strength single malt and forget about it!

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nice bit of detective work comrade BAR -and I agree if it's available...shop local. (Styria I didn't realize you currently supplied said units?) whether this fixes the CC or not we shall see. I think if one is serious about overhauling the system replacing the 'unit' is something your going to want to do. which brings me to the point...I've decided that at least for now, the cruise control 'ain't no big thang' and I think I'll just settle back with a sweet little cask strength single malt and forget about it!

Please don't settle behind the wheel with that 'cask' thang....:eek:

Des

B13; does the Cruise Control in your 6.9 work?

Don't think I ever tested it? have you?

curious if that ever worked??

sounds like it is a fairly common part to fail from reading people's comments on the various forums.

Freighttrain

This is going to sound absurd, but where is the cruise control and how are you supposed to set it on the 1980 300SD? I didn't realize I had one. Or maybe I don't...Yup, I'm a novice.

Lukas

Is a small black stalk that sticks out of the right side of the steering column, secondary to the indicator and headlight stalk also on that side for right hand drive cars. Basically, if there is an unaccounted-for stalk coming out of your steering column somewhere, try that. The white markings on it are probably worn / faded, but it should move up and down and I think front or back too.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Don't despair... most cruise controls of that era don't work... :mad: