TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Tim,
Glad you have decided to make the trip, if you follow the map attached your trip should be about 3 hours, Let's make the start time at my place 10am, lunch at 1pm gives 3 hours for detailing duties before and a few hours after lunch.
September 23rd
RSVP's
260ebenz
E200K
BenzBoy
abl567

We are on a roll gents, come one come all

Excellent Anthony have saved a copy of the map print it out my directions on how to get to your place.

4 Members of TK who will be at the detailing duties who else is coming?

Any unwanted comments about the 'shiny wheel arches' myself and the Battleship will leave suddenly well maybe! lol.
:D

Thank you for organising the detailing day for me Anthony and all involved most appreciated guys!

Cheers Tim.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Tim,
Glad you have decided to make the trip, if you follow the map attached your trip should be about 3 hours, Let's make the start time at my place 10am, lunch at 1pm gives 3 hours for detailing duties before and a few hours after lunch.
September 23rd
RSVP's
260ebenz
E200K
BenzBoy
abl567

We are on a roll gents, come one come all

I should be there, however, no chance for 10:00am as this is when I finish radio.
Maybe 11:30-12:00
Can I just make lunch and give directions in the afternoon? :p

And IS TONY gonna make it?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Tim - I am pleased to hear that you aill be there.
Maybe you would like to bring a family member with you for the drive to help navigate and for company? Any family member - or friend would be most welcome.
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

I should be there, however, no chance for 10:00am as this is when I finish radio.

At this stage he is not.

The car I was looking at turns out to be a bit of a dog, possibly with fleas.

So im looking at another in South Aus.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
At this stage he is not.

The car I was looking at turns out to be a bit of a dog, possibly with fleas.

So im looking at another in South Aus.

Is it a cheap dog with fleas?

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master

No - we have you scheduled for underbody detailing services. The muffler and exhaust will need to be polished and the .....
Unfortunately Ant does not have a hoist but I'm sure we can find a creeper for you to lie on.....
Remember, you are the man who told my my muffler was not shiny enough once? Now it's time for you to demonstrate just how to achieve the mirror finish. :D
Regards,
Brian

abl567

Super Moderator
I have a hoist at my factory at Seven Hills so will reserve a different day for Michel to come along and tend to the undersides of all vehicles:D

abl567

Super Moderator
I'll start a new thread in the members area for the 23rd

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
No - we have you scheduled for underbody detailing services. The muffler and exhaust will need to be polished and the .....
Unfortunately Ant does not have a hoist but I'm sure we can find a creeper for you to lie on.....
Remember, you are the man who told my my muffler was not shiny enough once? Now it's time for you to demonstrate just how to achieve the mirror finish. :D
Regards
Brian

I guess I'll have to bring Jerry along instead of Paula :eek:

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I trust the Jiff and brillo pads will NOT go anywhere near my Battleship Brian?
How else are you going to clean your exhaust pipe and mufflers Timmy? I assume you have already done this anyway? The underbody must be as clean as the day the car sat on the Dealer's forecourt. Have you tackled any of this yet?
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
How else are you going to clean your exhaust pipe and mufflers Timmy? I assume you have already done this anyway? The underbody must be as clean as the day the car sat on the Dealer's forecourt. Have you tackled any of this yet?
Regards,
Brian

12:12AM here we are talking about Concours detailing what a day! lol.

Yes but more room for improvement detailing day will be a great advantage to do this plus so much more.

Thank you now I must rest.

E200K

Tim, what's your paint like? Is there much swirling? Are there any deeper scratches?

Preparation and a good foundation is the key. If you've got swirls and scratches and you don't correct them, it doesn't matter how much you wax... you'll end up with a nice shiny car that has swirls and scratches. The more preparation you do, the better the results.

If unsure, take a trip down to Car Care Products in Sydney and have Mike take a look at your paint. He can give you an honest opinion on the condition of your paintwork and will have everything there you need to purchase to do your own paint correction. I'm sure he will also be only too happy to guide you on how to use the products to get the best results for your paint.

I'm not suggesting you have bad paint, but people who wax over bad paint end up with shiny bad paint.

260ebenz

Master
Tim, what's your paint like? Is there much swirling? Are there any deeper scratches?

Preparation and a good foundation is the key. If you've got swirls and scratches and you don't correct them, it doesn't matter how much you wax... you'll end up with a nice shiny car that has swirls and scratches. The more preparation you do, the better the results.

If unsure, take a trip down to Car Care Products in Sydney and have Mike take a look at your paint. He can give you an honest opinion on the condition of your paintwork and will have everything there you need to purchase to do your own paint correction. I'm sure he will also be only too happy to guide you on how to use the products to get the best results for your paint.

I'm not suggesting you have bad paint, but people who wax over bad paint end up with shiny bad paint.

Hi Simon,

Yes the 300SE has swirl marks and scratches the car is almost 23 years old but for the age of the car it is in good condition.

The advantage of the detailing day is a real bonus for me it will be a good way how to learn hands on how to detail the 300SE properly.

Simon you have a look at the 300SE at the detailing day and tell me your opinion of the car and everybody else who will be there.

Cheers Tim.

E200K

Hi Simon,

Yes the 300SE has swirl marks and scratches the car is almost 23 years old but for the age of the car it is in good condition.

The advantage of the detailing day is a real bonus for me it will be a good way how to learn hands on how to detail the 300SE properly.

Simon you have a look at the 300SE at the detailing day and tell me your opinion of the car and everybody else who will be there.

Cheers Tim.

Tim, if you have swirls and scratches then have a think about going to somewhere like Car Care Products. They can check your paint and recommend what correction is needed. They'll also be able to check your car with paint thickness gauge to make sure you don't go too hard at it.

260ebenz

Master
Tim, if you have swirls and scratches then have a think about going to somewhere like Car Care Products. They can check your paint and recommend what correction is needed. They'll also be able to check your car with paint thickness gauge to make sure you don't go too hard at it.

I am not a car paintwork expert Simon so to my untrained eye I can see swirl marks and scratches.

But what the paintwork does still have a good shine.

A visit to Car Care Products to check paint thickness what would that cost do you know Simon?

Photo of the 300SE see if you guys can see any swirl marks?

Best to judge when you guys see the 300SE in person compared to the photo.

Cheers.

Attachments

• TIMS CAR 007.jpg
    TIMS CAR 007.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 4

E200K

I am not a car paintwork expert Simon so to my untrained eye I can see swirl marks and scratches.

But what the paintwork does still have a good shine.

A visit to Car Care Products to check paint thickness what would that cost do you know Simon?

Photo of the 300SE see if you guys can see any swirl marks?

Best to judge when you guys see the 300SE in person compared to the photo.

Cheers.

Tim, assuming you're actually going there as a potential customer with the intention of buying their products if you're happy with their advice then I'm sure you won't be charged to have your paint checked.

You need the correct lighting to see the swirls - hard to tell from your photo.

Tony66_au

Photo's are no judge of a cars condition, merely an indication.

Even pro DSLR's wont do it unless the photographer knows what he is looking for and shoots from the right angle with the right light.

Tony66_au

Michel........ Im not even sure where to start answering your question about the car I was looking at lol

The car actually does have a sand flea infestation compliments of the owners cats, (Greg pulled 3 off his leg after sitting in the car for a moment) it has roof damage where it looks like someone walked over top of it and it has been resprayed at opposite corners and done cheaply.

The car also smells and there was evidence of urine on the leather.

Add to that the gaps in history and a few other tell tale signs of neglect like platic trim badly glued back on they can go take a flying leap because it isnt worth the 6k they were looking for.

I had a friend who used to collect cars from interstate for me have a look while he was in the area while I was on the phone to him and we didnt even start the car nor would he sit in the thing again and when the owner threatened to send it to scrap in a pissy fit we both suggested it was a good idea.