This sound is driving me nuts

More threads by digitalzed

TJ 450

In Australia, no MB had a catalytic converter until 1986. Unleaded petrol was introduced around that time.

The 260/300/420/560 and the smaller engines of the time, were the first engines to feature Lambda Sond and thus Catalytic Converters for the Australian market. This was also the premiere of the KE-Jetronic Fuel Injection System.

The 280 and 380 engines available in the W126 up until that time had EGR, Air Injection (with electronically controlled clutch), Fuel Evaporation Control and a Deceleration Air Valve. The air pump receives filtered air via the engine's air cleaner. They did not have electronic idle speed control.

Indeed, catalytic converters do not work until they have reached operating temperature. If anything, emissions are higher during warm up period than without. This is one reason why many cars destined for cold climates recirculate air from the exhaust manifolds and feed it into the air intake via a thermostat, so as to allow the engine to warm up as quickly as possible.

Tim

OzBenzHead

Master
Thanks for those clarifications, Tim. :)

[...] The 280 and 380 engines available in the W126 up until that time [...] did not have electronic idle speed control. [...]

Owners of Japan-market grey imports, however, should be aware that the 380, at least, did have the electronic idle speed control. A local friend has such a car, and that device constantly gives him trouble, no matter what's done to it or by whom.

TJ 450

Ah yes... I should have clarified. Australian cars didn't get the electronic idle speed control. UK imports also have electronic idle speed control, as do most Euros. When it's working it is a brilliant device.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
I've just been through this on the dark blue project 6.9 this last weekend. I now have the lower control arms separated from the subframe, but I still need to press the remains of the bushes out. Boy, it's taken some time and sufferance.

Hi S-Class, it is gratifying that someone like yourself, with your knowledge and expertise, agrees with my findings that I expressed this time, but also on another occasion probably about eighteen months to two years back. It is a bad job when that happens, and some people just may not realize the extent of difficulty one CAN experience. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I can't let the subject go yet - for two reasons. One is that I probably came closest to picking the problem (pat on back - silly boy) by talking about the exhaust system, and also I would thank ChrisP for the excellent information that he provided as far as English versions are concerned. Frankly, I also have always thought that European versions did not get catalytic converters until quite late as well. California of course, and to a lesser extent, Sweden and Australia copped these "green devices" quite early. Thanks guys. Regards Styria