New Sound System for the 690SEL

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I finally decided to update the sound unit on the 690SEL.

I am so proud of how she performed at the Track Day that I went and bought her a Sony CD Tuner with a USB port and some new speakers...

It is nothing flash.... On special at JB Hi-Fi for under $300. (what a bargain)

I am planning to have it fitted soon with the help of the Godfather and aim to have it all documented with pics.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Styria

The Godfather
Yesssssssssssssss.. that is why I will have also an auto electrician there.. :p

Don't need an Auto Electrician - next please ! :D Regards Styria

With a bit of luck, it will work - no, with a lot of luck.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Don't need an Auto Electrician - next please ! :D Regards Styria

With a bit of luck, it will work - no, with a lot of luck.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

B

BAR

Wiring kits... an interesting observation.

At the time these beauties were manufactured, the nature and type of 'head units' was relatively basic.. but some way removed from the valve systems.

Original wiring saw a 'switched' power source and if you were lucky, speaker wires for 4 corners, being fed from the head unit to a 'front-rear' fader. There was also a trigger for the electric antanna.

Given the age of the cars today, one can really toss the old speaker wiring to the dumpster as it will have aged enough to cause deterioration in signal. The other thing is that the old 'fader' built into the centre console, is a source of noise. That said, all head units today have in built fader controls, making the MB item redundant.

My recommendation is to replace the original wiring for the speakers, in itself quite simple to do once the front knee rolls are removed. In case of the rear, when replacing the original speakers, one would need to remove the back seats to get the parcel shelf out anyway, so at that time, it is also easy to run new wiring for the front speakers and it doesn't require removal of the centre console.

New wiring, removal of the original fader and then run a new 'unswitched' - feed from the terminal block [located under your battery tray] and don't forget to add a fuse link, to accomodate for the elctronic 'memory' of preset stations. All too easy. Just takes time for the preparation. Then if you need to add in amplifiers etc, you are right to go.

Andrew280SEL

Yes I have actually ran a "unswitched" quite thick audio grade power wire straight to the battery in my 280SEL (had no choice, the original ignition wire died for some reason). Of course it has a big fuse in between.

I haven't replaced all the other wiring however. But since I would like to update the speakers at some stage it may well be worth doing.

B

BAR

A good thick power supply is good for the unswitched line, don't forget the bus bar under the battery tray: connecting to this is a cleaner and neater method, rather than the positive terminal on the battery.

I forgot to mention that it may benefit any system to run a new earth wire from the head unit to the bodywork: again a thick wire works better than the thin wire.