A few observations after test driving a W140 S420

Andrew280SEL

My dad has had his eye on a particular black W140 S420 (4.2 L V8) Mercedes.

He'd already test driven it but wanted me to do so as well, just for the fun of it and so he could also observe things as a passenger (which pays off, he noticed some imperfections he otherwise wouldn't have, such as a less than perfect roof headliner).

The first thing I noticed even as I was just taking off is... the weight. IMO you can feel how heavy these W140s are, which is a good two tonne or so. What also adds to this is when sitting inside the car, you feel pretty insulated from the outside world as some of these more modern big cars do and I thought it really felt like being in a luxury tank. This isn't a bad thing, it's something that you would almost expect from a big S-Class Mercedes.

The performance was a bit lackluster if I may say. It's a heavy car, so I'm not surprised that the smallest engine these models came with is a six cylinders, because a 4 banger would probably barely move it :eek:

Still, I was a bit surprised the 4.2L V8 didn't have a bit more pep. Certainly takes a bit of encouragement to get the car moving, but in general I was surprised enough that I actually pulled over and looked under the bonnet to check it was actually a V8 and not an incorrectly badged six... because honestly it felt like a decently powerful six. Sure enough though, the V8 is there. However further playing around with the loud pedal certainly revealed that you stamped on it really enthusiastically it would kick down a gear or two and would start to really take off in the mid-range speeds, but still, I was a little surprised.

The funny thing is after the W140, I actually test drove a W116 280SE that was also there. I had/have no intention of buying that one as it stands, but I was curious to see how that W116 went, especially being a D-Jet M110. That thing, at least off the mark and low speeds, actually felt more peppy and responsive than the S420 :eek::confused: Of course beyond that, the performance comparison would end, but I found that rather surprising indeed.

Anyway this post isnt to bag the S420's rather sedate performance, the W140 certainly seems a nice car and a very smooth ride. For those wanting a more modern Benz without going too modern and getting into the Naughties era of Benz, they certainly seem a decent value option.

Personally though, I still find myself leaning to the older models. It's just a personal preference of what I like when it comes to driving I think - for example that W116 280SE I mentioned was rather rough around the edges and had noisy brakes etc, but I actually felt more at home driving that than I did the W140.

A case of just being more familiar? Perhaps. But I tend to appreciate how the older cars actually let you "feel" the road and what's happening underneath your wheels. Plus I find there's a look and feel to the interior of a W116 and even a W123 etc that is hard to match elsewhere, even if they aren't perfect.

Anyway that's just my little ramble. I imagine, regardless of weight, the V12 S600 version would be a lot of fun :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
From all I heard and read, the W140 is apparently the most engineered Benz of its time and some say ever....
However, I'm also told that they are some of the most expensive to maintain; but I could not comment on that as i have not owned any.

This said, I don't find that series attractive, same as I don't find the R129 good looking either (same generation). :eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
They appeal to me as a solid and well-designed car; and very attractively styled in a heavy Germanic fashion. An S420 is normally very quick off the mark and just as quickly dives into the depths of your bank account....
If it felt slow then maybe not is as it should be?
Regards,
Brian
Ps: AnS600 has been known to bankrupt many an African nation ....

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Well truth be known I have heard the W140 series can be a very expensive money pit if you get one that has some of the typical issues known to the model (mind you that goes for most of our beloved Mercs, but I have heard things about the W140 in particular).

Certainly if my dad was to purchase this car I'd hope everything is checked out and fine beforehand.

You might be right, Brian, regarding performance. Having said that, I wouldn't say it was "slow", in fact I'm sure if I was to truly floor it from standstill it would pick up its skirts and take off pretty well.

It's more that I found I had to give a bit more pedal than I would have expected to get it moving and overall, to get it to really "go", I had to utilize the kickdown and let the engine really rev. It didn't seem to have that characteristic effortless V8 torque. In other words, it reminded me more of the 4 or 6 cylinders in how you have to drive it; the power seems to be there if you want it, but it's just not as effortless as I'd have expected.

lowan74

Connoisseur
I have been the happy owner of a W140 S500 for just coming on 4 years now, and still enjoy every time i take it for a drive. When things go wrong they are an expensive car to repair, however this comment then needs to be weighed up, as some friends with more modern Japanese 4wds spend an equally high amount on spare parts.

The (proper) double glazing make for an incredibly quiet ride, and the V8 is barely audible except when under heavy accelleration.

My daily driver is now a W220 S320 and there is no comparison between the build quality and solid feel of the 2 cars. The W140 wins every time.

That being said, the S320 is still a lovely car to drive, and is a more practical daily driver, routinely gets between 8-9L/100 km on a mix of city/country driving, and has a lot of convenience features, but doesn't come close in terms of driving satisfaction to the W140. Persons unfamiliar with Benzes still look at the W220 as a "new car"...

I hope your dad finds a good example that he is happy with! It will certainly lead to driving satisfaction. Get it checked out by a mechanic who is familiar with W140s to identify any immediate repairs needed.

Another intersting observation (not backed up by actual measurements) is that the LWB W140 is incredibly manouverable into tight spaces, and has a very tight turning circle- in this regard it feels easier to drive and manouvere than the W220. This defies common sense, but i am reminded of it everytime I take the W140 for a drive.