6.9 Sbarro 6.9 Road Test

More threads by Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I saw a picture in a car magazine many years ago of a two door GT car, with a 6.9 engine. Again, I think this car was built in Switzweland. You would have to be a real detective to find THOSE pictures! I dont I have the keyboard skill to do that!

Here's an easier one:

Not long after joining the Topklasse Website, I posted two pictures of a two door 6.3 coupe. For those that do not remember, I took the pictures myself at the Earl's Court Motorshow in 1970 onto colour slides, and had then scanned into digital format, and posted them onto this site.

Don't know how to find them now, but I think they are interesting. Perhaps someone else may wish to revisit them with a link.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Now that is a very neat design. At one time Sig. Farina argued that a well-designed car would allow the driver to see a point on each of the four courners while seated in the driver's position. This design bears out that philosophy - one I applaud.
Regards,
Brian

abl567

Super Moderator
Now that is a very neat design. At one time Sig. Farina argued that a well-designed car would allow the driver to see a point on each of the four courners while seated in the driver's position. This design bears out that philosophy - one I applaud.
Regards,
Brian

Granted, but would you describe it as pretty, or even attractive?

Oversize

Grand Master
Pininfarina should know better than to mix straight & curved lines together; not a bad effort though. I don't like the lines of the Sbarro, but it is clean & very unique. And it has what was missing on the 6.9 ..... electric supportive seats!

What I'd like to see would be something that looks like a Gullwing / GT40 with a mid-mounted 6.9. Now that would be a sight to see & something I'd sell body parts to drive!!! :D

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
abl567: That is indeed the very car, but I didn't take that picture!

I notice a Maybach in the background. There was no Maybach that appeared in the 1970 Earl's Court Motorshow!

Apparently, the car has survived until this very day to be pictured again. I believe that it is a 'one off'.

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Well here I am fulfiling my own dreams!! I remembered I have a copy of Road & Track Special Series, Exotic Cars:5, which contains some very special cars from the 80s. After searching the bookcase I found it along with #7. May I present to you all my new wet dream: the Isdera Imperator 108i (you'll need to turn up the volume 'cause the sound isn't very good :rolleyes:):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IELHeVXm0cg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_05-uiRylsY

And I didn't even have to sell a body part!!!! Good thing I'm a horder with a good memory (yes I nearly threw out the magazines during a spring cleanup)...... :D:D:D:D

Oversize

Grand Master
Well after reading the article I can tell you that the Imperator had a 5.6L V8 (560SEL) & could be optioned with the AMG Hammer powerplant (DOHC) which produced 390hp & it would do 0-100kmh in 4.9 seconds. That's what I'm talking about!!!! Unbelieveable for a car that was available way back on 30/04/87 (which was when the magazine was printed). BTW the car was based on the b+b Cw311 which was originally built back in 1979. Now I'm off to E-bay to find me one...... :D:D

Does anyone have a copy of Road & Track, January 1979?? They did a road test of the Cw311 way back then & it'd make for interesting reading!

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes.
Indeed I would.
I like straight lines - none of this L'art nouveau organic smultch for me. :D
Regards,
Brian

Hi BenzBoy - what's this - new word or expression to describe certain whatever ? Should it be organic 'mulch' or perhaps even 'Schmalz' ? Whichever, very 'classy' and 'with it' description ! I am glad that this thread has blossomed, as it has provided us with an interesting group of pictures of a very unusual Mercedes Benz exhibition or gathering. I like the Pininfarina 6.3 as with so many other of his designs - they were just timeless. All we need now is for someone to find "the" four door 6.9 convertible - not the one that's been doing the rounds, but another that was exhibited, I think, at a New York show. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Regards,
Brian

Hi BenzBoy, just to clarify - you mention Signor Farina - should that be Pininfarina ? I am pretty sure that there was a designer by the name of Farina. Was he perhaps responsible for some BMC designs, such as the Wolseley 24/80, Austin Freeway ? (Does anyone remember them ?). Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
OK - so you want "pretty"? Here is "pretty" as far as cars go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HcCrEliXHU
Regards,
Brian

I know you've got a soft spot for the little Fulvia, and quite rightly so. Possibly the Zagato version may even be prettier again. BTW, I knew a guy (many years ago) that had one - possibly the 1.6 litre HF version - he reckoned or claimed to have covered the Gold Coast to Sydney in eight hours. Way back when the highway wasn't chock a block with speed cameras. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi BenzBoy, just to clarify - you mention Signor Farina - should that be Pininfarina ? I am pretty sure that there was a designer by the name of Farina. Was he perhaps responsible for some BMC designs, such as the Wolseley 24/80, Austin Freeway ? (Does anyone remember them ?). Regards Styria
Pininfarina began life as Giovanni Battista Farina and yes, he designed a number of cars for BMC. As the baby of the family he was nicknamed Pinin and he eventually changed his name to Battista Pininfarina.
And here is the modern version of the Fulvia; alas, it has not yet made it into production - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjivdoUlb1s&feature=related
I am left with the unfortunate conclusion that although Benz has built some wonderful cars, it has never designed any that can be called pretty.
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master