The Worst Crash Test?

More threads by Michel

Styria

The Godfather
I don't think I have seen worse - I also looked at one of the other tests involving a Smart Car and a small hatch that could have been a Barina. I was surprising how well the Barina (?) stood up to the crash, although I got the impression that the Smart hit with a harder impact, whereas the Barina seemed to be deflected by the concrete barrier. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Before you can begin to compare these Youtube clips you must know the testing parameters.
Not all tests are conducted at the same speed, for example, and not all follow the same testing protocols. Unbless we know the actual protocols then the videos make for fun but potentially misleading viewing.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys Brian would be right you dont know the speed involved in the test unlike the current ancap testing results. As for the 80's Commodore yes they were lightly made so not really surprised. I was rear ended in a VL taxi in Canberra on the Kings avenue bridge roundabout during Skyfire by a Celica . The driver was watching the fire works and not the road. I saw him coming so hit the accelerator just before impact. The boot stopped after pushing my chair and me up against the steering column. Impact about 70kmh very lucky to walk away. I crashed a HQ into a concrete wall at lets say a lot higher speed the car was a write of but body was intact doors could be opened and closed. As for the place Eastern Creek the car was a HQ fitted with a 454 rear suspension broke i turned left hard. But thats life anyway back to subject didnt feel a thing .

hoddo

Connoisseur
from the comments on youtube

"100 km/h Holden VB Commodore crash test. This test was conducted on 9 June 1992 by the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) as part of a test series to commission the Crashlab test facility in Roseville, New South Wales, Australia. The test was of the facility's drive system, not the actual car which had the tail shaft removed, 300 kg of sand ballast placed in the footwells and boot and a 75 kg ballast dummy placed on the rear seat. This was supposed to represent a worst case scenario."

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Thanks Hoddo i did not see that but it sounds about right. I watched on my phone