B

BAR

Such lovely speakers and you go and use low quality MP3 as the sound source!***

Seems to be a waste.

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
Such lovely speakers and you go and use low quality MP3 as the sound source!***

Seems to be a waste.

Within the confies of a car, the only way MP3 you would hear the difference between MP3 and CD is if the recording bitrate was poor (less than 128kb) - I have used both for many years and in all honesty, you can only really hear breakdown at massive volume.

Everything I have recorded or bought for the last 18 months has been 320kb and it sounds almost as good as a raw wav file - I have played 320kb MP3s through a 200,000 watt rave party sound system and whilst it does not have the depth of vinyl, that can be adjusted through an equaliser.

For simplicity and sheer amount of music stored in a USB stick/MP3 CD, I reckon you cant go past MP3 in a car stereo!!!

My thoughts,

Cam

G

GreaseMonkey

I used to use an average CD player, which sounded ok, but since I am using my ipod in all the cars now, I have to say I am happy enough with the sound quality.
If I can find an original Becker for the 280SE wagon, I will just upgrade the speakers and be happy with that.
Anyone know what are the best speakers to replace the originals without any mods?
I am starting a new thread re music in cars.
C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have been very disappointed with the Ipod connected to the Becker Grand Prix. It sounds quite OK but compared to the CD player and to the radio it sounds very digital (if that describes it) and lacks the depth I would like. Still, it is an easy way of running sveral hours of music without having to do any more fiddling...:D
Regards,
BenzBoy

TJ 450

Hi Benzboy,

The reason why the IPod sounds more "digital" than the other sources is that its DAC is highly compromised. Compressed formats such as MP3 can actually offer respectable sound quality if coupled with a decent DAC. Unfortunately, there is little one can do with an IPod in that regard.

Therefore IMHO, Ipod = Highly compromised convenience.
Becker = Sensible sound quality, even if you do have to carry CD's in the car.

Tim

OP
R

rosstamon

The Fusion Head unit features some very clever decoding software including SRS iWOW http://www.srs-store.com/store-plugins/mall/iwow-plugin.asp I have been using this plug in on my imac for years -all my disks are loaded to my itunes (7000+ songs) and until you hear this feature in action you cannot believe the difference. there are also several excellent EQ options as well as high and low pass filters. The MB Quart crossovers allow further manual tuning of the tweeter frequencies. And now that all the options are dialed in and stored in three custom user settings for different music styles (conveniently sorted in handy playlists) the current sound in my slightly windy 280SE is frankly quite awesome. remember I was simply upgrading an old JVC head unit -hooked up to the original paper cone speakers. And as anyone who has gone far enough down the 'upgrade road' soon realize- that while the Lads in Stuttgart built great cars they didn't spend much time on the "Tunes" -5.25" cutouts jammed into the parcel shelf corners... Scheißpech! :eek:

B

BAR

The point is, with MP3 - iPod or otherwise - as you have noticed from all observations and scientific fact, the sound will never be 'CD' or analogue quality [yeah, the radio broadcasts are still analogue].

Thus why spend mega bucks on speakers, crossovers and amplifiers if the sound quality is already compromised, you'll only notice the difference even more.

I use a simple Sony head unit, with a mini stereo input jack [good for iPods and other MP3 devices or even PC audio - if watching DVDs on your PC] and some inexpensive speakers. The only way to improve on the overall effect is to get a Subwoofer and amp for it. Trust me, my home AMP and SPeakers cost tens of thousands and my car stereo is less than $600. I know what I am about here.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The point is, with MP3 - iPod or otherwise - as you have noticed from all observations and scientific fact, the sound will never be 'CD' or analogue quality [yeah, the radio broadcasts are still analogue].

Thus why spend mega bucks on speakers, crossovers and amplifiers if the sound quality is already compromised, you'll only notice the difference even more.

I use a simple Sony head unit, with a mini stereo input jack [good for iPods and other MP3 devices or even PC audio - if watching DVDs on your PC] and some inexpensive speakers. The only way to improve on the overall effect is to get a Subwoofer and amp for it. Trust me, my home AMP and SPeakers cost tens of thousands and my car stereo is less than $600. I know what I am about here.

I tend to concur with BAR on that

G

GreaseMonkey

I agree, but still say the average ipod through stereo set-up is good enough for most cars in normal use.
I know you can spend a lot on in-car stuff, but really, how many people can honestly justify it in daily commuting, apart from the placebo effect?
If I want to listen to something at home I can still use the cds through a decent hi-fi system and get a much better sound, but in a car, one's priority should only be background music while driving, rather than driving a mobile sound system.
C.M.

OP
R

rosstamon

exactly why I researched the best way to spend my massive $500.00 budget. and to borrow Michael's eloquent phrase I concur with greaseMonkey ".one's priority should only be background music while driving, rather than driving a mobile sound system.". I mean really who the #### cares! I didn't start this thread to discuss what poor choices I made in my system - I originally asked you all..What else is out there guys !!!

B

BAR

Well, if you get the Head Unit and those speakers for $500, it is money well spent.

Are you only going for a stereo sound or will you get the two way units for all four corners + the head unit for that price. Seems like a bargain.

OP
R

rosstamon

It was a definite bargain. the fusion was $300.00 Repco and the rear MB's were $175.00 AUD discontinued stock...Already had the 4'' MB'S up front and knew them to be an excellent choice. Sound systems are like your favorite tires -everyone has a different opinion based on what they want. I was just curious as to what other sound-systems are out there in the w116's and what experience was gained in the installation. None of us will ever agree (concur?) as to what sounds best nor should we because like our rides... we're all different So back to my question what else is out there!
Anyone?

Last edited:

Lukas

I'm very far from up with the latest and greatest in car audio, but what I would do for any car I was giving an audio upgrade is:

1) Decent speakers - not necessarily OEM, but I guess at up to $50 per speaker, and for something that fits the original holes.

2) Consider replacing wiring from head unit to speakers - unless convinced that what's there has good conductivity, little interference and no physical damage - up to $50 for new wiring I guess.

3) Head unit - no ipod connectivity, just USB and of course CD. [Disclaimer: I have a bit of a thing against ipods]. $200 max, due to theft risk and impending obselesence (digital radio). In that price bracket, the best quality audio comes from CD, especially when coupled with hydro-pneumatic suspension:).

4) If really getting serious, consider some sound-proofing work on the car

I'd be unwilling to spend any more than this ~$400 total - if anything, spend the $ on the "infrastructure" (speakers and wiring) rather than the head unit.

No need for an amp. Keep in mind too that you should still be able to hear the sirens from emergency vehicles over the top of your music - 116es may be built strong, but fire trucks are stronger.

Sorry to still not answer the original question posed - it's more of a "what would be out there if I had actually done it."

Lukas

TJ 450

Back to the original question, I have a basic Kenwood head unit with Soundstream 4" speakers up front (adjustable tweeters, 6db/oct crossover) in the 450. I left the rear speakers alone as I didn't want to interfere with the original Becker wiring.

In the 6.9, I have a pinstripe Becker with inexpensive JBL 4" 2-ways and Philips 6-1/2" component speakers in the rear hooked into the original fader. I have and plan to use my Ipod with a cassette adapter, which sounds quite adequate and powerful even playing intense electronic music. The level of fidelity is reasonable for what it is.

Tim

B

BAR

You write. " I have and plan to use my Ipod with a cassette adapter, which sounds quite adequate and powerful even playing intense electronic music ".

So what is the question? or have you already answered yourself by. "The level of fidelity is reasonable for what it is" .