The Sound of AMG

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I think it is fair to say that to some of us there is no better sound than a healthy exhaust note. As I have previously intimated, the exhaust note on Gleaming Beauty is toxic, in a nice, re-assuring and satisfying way. If on the other, however, you want a roaring lion crawling out from your chromies, you need to listen to the sound of the cars featured in this video.

I almost think that some of it is probably quite embarassing - I mean, if you were to take off from a gathering of people, their faces could well be pretty 'smirchy' and you could probably guess what they are saying to each other. Honest ! Say compare to the majority of Harley Davidsons - really quite offensive - or take your date that you have just dropped off at home, and you decide to drive off in a leisurely manner - this is night time, don't forget - is she going to listen, what would she think, and could it well be a wish of "Good Riddance' - I don't know, but you guys can make up your own minds. Phew ! I got all that out without going red in the face. Regards Styria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xir_oIOOHjU

Enjoy. :eek:

wbrian63

I've never been partial to the raspy sound that comes from a true free-flowing exhaust. These AMG examples all sound (to me) like they're running headers with glass-pack exhausts.

I've also never understood the (to me) juvenile need to rev the engine to rod-tossing levels to show the power of the beast. The tone and volume of an exhaust has ZERO correlation to how powerful the car is. As an example, think of all the little Hondas/Toyotas/Kias/Hyundais/Subarus/ etc etc with the coffee-can exhausts. I just love it when one of them tries to out gun my S55 for a spot in traffic or at a stop light...

As for the Harley contingent - don't get me started... I've got far too many neighbors that have chrome-plated Harleys with open pipes. Why the Great State of Texas would deign to impose noise restrictions on motorcycles is beyond me. These ne'er-do-well's drive down the major street adjacent to my house alternately gunning the throttle and releasing to listen to the exhaust scream under acceleration then pop and backfire under deceleration. It's all I can do not to scream - not that they'd hear me over the cacophony.

When I was a kid, I had an elderly relative that was a really mean ear flicker. Do something improper and before you were aware if it - snap! Just like a big rubber band popping you on the tip of your ear! Stung like a bee sting! I'd like to have a long-distance capability for my Harley riding "friends" - it would be easy to use, many of these "shallow end of the gene pool" individuals don't wear a helmet...

As for the cars, I'm sure MB has done an admirable job in making the interior of these C's and E's a comfortable place to ride despite the free-flowing exhaust. I guess it's tough luck to those of us that don't get to ride...

My '02 S55 has a nice deep throated exhaust. For my taste, it's a bit too tame, and I admit to having considered removing a set of resonators to allow a little bit more noise out the back, but then I rethink what the possible repercussions could be if I don't like how it turns out.

I do like the nice deep rumble that I get from the stock exhaust on my 6.9. No need to open it up further, far as I'm concerned.

To me, I'd rather listen to the sound of the engine than the sound of the exhaust. I get that in buckets whenever I tromp down on the gas in my S55... The hardest part is remembering I need to LET UP on the gas pedal...

Regards

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Neighbour has a Harley I tell you it is so loud owner was revving the throttle last weekend much to the rest of the neighbourhood's delight!
:rolleyes:

Oversize

Grand Master
To me they don't sound that free flowing.... It actually sounds like they hit a rev range where the flow is badly disrupted.

Blue Flame sounds unbelievable and that's without extractors! But it's too loud for a RWC and too loud to live with on a long trip. Something in-between will be perfect. Always keep the original exhaust just in case you change your mind....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW1Xsp8xPv0

260ebenz

Master
Sweet exhaust note the 6.9 has Mark.

Noticed in the video the fuel gauge was not working any reason for that?

Oversize

Grand Master
It's on LPG and has a separate LED gauge. I'm changing her back to petrol when I'm done with Red Bull

wbrian63

To me they don't sound that free flowing.... It actually sounds like they hit a rev range where the flow is badly disrupted.

Agreed - I don't like being able to apparently hear each individual cylinder firing, unless it's a Rolls Royce Merlin engine - that's another matter entirely.

Blue Flame sounds unbelievable and that's without extractors! But it's too loud for a RWC and too loud to live with on a long trip. Something in-between will be perfect. Always keep the original exhaust just in case you change your mind....

The sound is nice - what's the issue with long trips - does it drone?

Also - translate RWC please.

Regards

abl567

Super Moderator
RWC is Road Worthy Certificate, a requirement to register a car to drive on public roads in Victoria, it is basically a safety check of the mechanical and structural condition of the car

Nice to see you here:D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's on LPG and has a separate LED gauge. I'm changing her back to petrol when I'm done with Red Bull

Hi Mark, getting back to your 'Blue Flame', I do remember that the exhaust did have quite a bit of a drone to it, and you could always hear it whilst on the move, whether accelerating or decelerating. In contrast with Gleaming Beauty, there are periods when the exhaust is fairly quiet, say under steady, no load, cruising. It's only when you push the pedal that she really starts to 'snort' ? :confused:

Also, from your comment, I take it that Red Bull is going to be the first for you to commence restoration work ? What about Blue Flame ? She shouldn't need all that much to bring her up to scratch ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I listen to the glorious sound of AMG (the real one... ) everytime I start up the 500SL :D

IMG_14541024x768-1.jpg

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi Mark, getting back to your 'Blue Flame', I do remember that the exhaust did have quite a bit of a drone to it, and you could always hear it whilst on the move, whether accelerating or decelerating. In contrast with Gleaming Beauty, there are periods when the exhaust is fairly quiet, say under steady, no load, cruising. It's only when you push the pedal that she really starts to 'snort' ? :confused:

Also, from your comment, I take it that Red Bull is going to be the first for you to commence restoration work ? What about Blue Flame ? She shouldn't need all that much to bring her up to scratch ? Regards Styria

I do love the sound, but I'll have to experiment a little to get her quieter for the RWC.

Yes Red Bull is the first and progress was held up while I sourced some replacement struts. Blue Flame needs chassis work and a conversion back to petrol before she's back on the road; hence why she's second in line

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, I do think that the system on your 500SL operates under different principles. As I've said to you, I THINK that your car is fitted with extractors, but this might be subject to a proper inspection.I am only having an educated guess. Unlike the new "NOISE SYSTEMS" now computer designed by the manufacturers, your car's exhaust sound is a by-product of 'accidental' modifications, somewhat similar to what I have on Gleaming Beauty.

The sound from the two cars is somewhat more subdued and a little kinder to the ear, as well as ego. I don't know if I can put it any other way. Regards Styria