Driving the 690SEL

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Most of you know my cars as the Benzes and the RR Silver Spur, nevertheless, I do have a few others and namely a 2001 Mitsubishi Magna VR/X Limited Edition that my company has had since new.
That car is factory black with red leather and black cloth interior as well as factory sunroof.
Without digressing too much about the reason for this post, the said VR/X was painted and signwritten in a way to promote my magazine and my radio programme.
Well, being black and living mostly outdoors in Prestons had an effect of the paint. So Jerry, my bodyman, decided it needed a respray (maybe another thread on this one later).
So, we've been down one car and our supply of 'new' press vehicles also was quiet forcing me to use the 690SEL daily.

What a pleasure...

I always say that after getting back into my beloved 690SEL.
I love the drive, the feel, the handling and the NEW Star that I replaced atop the grille.

Oh My Great Feeling... 690SEL !

-bb-

Noble
I feel a bit like that then I have not driven the 6.9 for a while; there really is something special about driving old Merc's, especially a 6.9. It's almost like I get in, start it and the car just wants to back itself out of the garage and go for a drive. Much like a dog wanting to go for a walk, it just wants to be driven.

Last edited:
OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A bit more on the story. :D
I had a meeting to go to yesterday for most of the afternoon and part of the evening, and as it was at a 'safe parking place', I decided to take the RR.
Paula needed a car to do some shopping and as no others were available, reluctantly agreed to drive the 690SEL.

After a quick instruction session including:
1-Don't floor it hard (or you'll possibly loose it)
2-Park at the end of the car park, over two lanes.
3-Central locking might be slow, be patient.
4-Sound systems works this way, etc....

I left for my meeting only to come back and ask how was the drive with the 690SEL.

"Oh, I love it" was the answer...

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
I have owned Gleaming Beauty for either fourteen of fifteen years come the month of August and, without a doubt, in its own inimitable way and probably lack of common sense or reason on my part, it is the most satisfying and best 6.9 I have owned and driven. That includes a couple of quite low mileage examples, but they really felt no better on the road than GB. Whilst GB is a little rough around the edges at the moment, I still maintain her reasonably carefully and without hitting the panic button that could be within very easy reach.

Michel and bb will probably agree that their 6.9s, as all the others I know of, are not the supersmooth, nor superquiet conveyance that one might expect from a car like the 6.9 - far from it. I have driven a beautifully kept 420 and it drove, well, like a well oiled sewing machine - it was that good. Would I swap for a 6.9, or my GB to be precise - unlikely. I like the sound of Gleaming Beauty - I tried to make it sound more sporty by fitting a genuine MB 350SL muffler which is very flat and wide, and the end muffler is the huge, but in my case, aftermarket stainless steel unit, and the sound is just disappointingly a little short of being 'sporty'. Yep, Gleaming Beauty is my girl. Regards Styria

I appreciate Michel's remarks, as he has no shortage of some very satisfying press vehicles he gets to test and drive, yet he praises his 690SEL. Ther's got to be something.

450SE

I left for my meeting only to come back and ask how was the drive with the 690SEL.

"Oh, I love it" was the answer...

You should have removed a spark plug before giving your wife the keys... You DO realise that you've lost the car forever now, don't you? :eek:

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You should have removed a spark plug before giving your wife the keys... You DO realise that you've lost the car forever now, don't you? :eek:

CryingSmiley-1.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
The Missus? Oh Michel, shame on you!!! Paula is the best driver in your family.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BenzBoy, not only that, but also by far and away the best looking of the lot as well. Not that there is anything wrong with Michel and the boys, it's just that..............mmm, she's woman and, so Michel tells me, she is not only a fast, but also very capable driver. There, I've said my bit ! Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Michel you should re-read your old material once in a while.... ;)

Styria

The Godfather
I just did, thanks to you... LOL

So Michel, what did you think of driving the Red Terror down to the Autofest ? Did you actually enjoy the drive, and how did the car perform ? An appraisal would be most welcome. Regards Styria

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
So Michel, what did you think of driving the Red Terror down to the Autofest ? Did you actually enjoy the drive, and how did the car perform ? An appraisal would be most welcome. Regards Styria

As you probably still remember Godfather, I was very happy with the drive. :D

The Red Terror (aka 690SEL) perform faultlessly and was a pleasure to drive.

The ususal stares and envious looks were there, probably on account of the fact that Jerry spent a day buffing and polishing as well as giving it a final hand wax!

He's a great guy my Jerry! :cool:

And I truly love the 690SEL... It's always fun to drive and cruise in.

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I wonder what two 6.9s sounded like when we took off from the park and traversed up that hill ? I purposely kept Gleaming Beauty in 1st gear in the hope that the guys left behind at the park appreciated the sonorous tones of the two mighty V8s, or whether their thoughts may have been a little unkind ? I wonder, but it was fun for me to hear that crecendo of caucophony. Quite toxic - it makes you want to use as much fuel as possible just to create attention. :) Regards Styria