Driving Experience GB 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a couple of observations. Driving along Windsor Road the other day, towards Parramatta, I quite often take GB up to about 70 or 80 - yes I know, that constitutes speeding, but it is downhill after all, and I don't commit the indiscretion very often. Anyway, it just so happens that a driver in a Toyota Camry was stopped to turn into a driveway on the other side of the road and you know the scenario of the classic multiple rear ender - one after the other. I spotted the queue a bit late, not that I was totally inattentive, but I did have to brake pretty hard - it is surprising, or really it shouldn't be, how quickly one spears towards stationary cars at the speed mentioned above.

To my relief, the brakes dug in really well, with just a bit of bounce but no tyre squeal, and I do now know that the brakes are right up to scratch, and that the 18" Nankangs do certainly hang on well in the dry - other than blessing myself and everything else, this was a good test passed with flying colours. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Good morning Styria,

Quite the driving experience glad to hear there was no incident.

Stick to the speed limits even when going down hill.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Nothing like a small incident as such to jolt you back into reality. :rolleyes:
At least GB's brakes were there when you needed them. :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes Michel, I was quite impressed with being able to pull up so quickly and evenly, without the car lurching or skidding in any way whatsoever. Top marks for brake set up and also of course the tyres. Incidentally, I did fit a rebuilt brake servo unit and rebuilt master cylinder about eighteen months ago.

There is another story I would like to relate, and it concerns GB's exhaust system and perceived increase in power output. BTW, this is my third attempt to write this snippet. I have previously referred to the fitting of a genuine 350SL first muffler to GB. This particular muffler needs to fit into a very tight and confined space under the body of the SL and consequently it is very shallow, but also quite wide. I was hoping for more power (hopefully) and a more aggressive exhaust note. I guess it is fair to say that I pretty well missed out on both targets. This still left an after market stainless steel second muffler, and it certainly achieved its target of quietness. There was a time at Hoddo's get together when I was actually able to hear the exhaust with someone else driving, and I got an inkling ever so slight that there was some purpose to the sound coming from the system. Obviously I stayed back when someone else drove the car.

The whole thing was still nagging me, but a couple of years ago I spotted an absolutely to die for stainless steel muffler, almost as large as the genuine unit, but this was straight through, and beautiful quality. I was smitten and this was it. The exhaust people reckoned that it could be fitted without too much difficulty and they agreed to effect a flange fitting as for the rest of the system for ease of maintenance if any part of the unit would have to be removed. There are two flange fittings to the engine down pipes just in front of the bell housing for that very reason.

When I went to pick up GB, she was still on the hoist for final fittings. Sitting in the lounge provided, there was eventually a deep rumble when the car was started. Is this my car, I enquired, and the answer was in the affirmative - wow, this sounded good, a feeling reinforced immediately as soon as I drove out of the yard and accelerated down the road. I have never been sorry for carrying out this modification. However, what I have noticed lately since driving GB more frequently, there is a definite power band and increase starting from about 2.2K. and 3.5K. revs. In fact, say about 70, and you pull the liver back to 2nd gear and accelerate somewhat more purposely, it is fair to say that really just about all hell breaks lose - the build up of speed, accompanied by an absolute crescendo is absolutely toxic. In all honesty, I am telling exactly as it is and I have a constant smile on my face. Regards. Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, probably not as I will have to leave by no later than 12.30. I guess it all depends on when we are allowed on the track, but even then you probably would not hear that much. You need a quiet area, or be inside the car when being driven to appreciate the full effect of what I am talking about. Regards. Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
I wonder if she'd be any better with S2 W126 brakes.... So glad she didn't get bent and no-one got hurt!

Oversize

Grand Master
Huh??

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I'd be in the bad books. Most Club members (not all !) are fairly conservative, so caution and consideration are the better part of valour.

I really think when you just idle along at about walking pace, the sonorous rumble (discreet) could possibly attract more attention. People might just listen and think that what would the "old heap of rubbish" sound like if you put your heavy foot in. THat's my theory. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sorry Styria your car is too sedate and quiet for me. :p

Oversize

Grand Master
I think the 6.3 is praised because of it's animal-type demeanor. If a 6.9 had some of those traits if would be an even better machine....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Trust me Mark my 6.9 is a complete animal at the moment. Any though of using the throttle means wheel spin. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Trust me Mark my 6.9 is a complete animal at the moment. Any though of using the throttle means wheel spin. :eek:

When are you going to put some decent rubber at the back? :rolleyes:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
After paint job when AMG wheel go on. :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry Styria your car is too sedate and quiet for me. :p

I know Geoff, but................it does go in a straight line, even when accelerating hard. Do you remember the first Holden Monaros with the 350cui. V8 ? I remember once going slightly uphill on a damp road - well, just a little wet - and all the car would do was to spin its rear wheels without virtually going anywhere.

Any car as deficient as this in the handling department is outright dangerous, and almost unuseable. So I hope that your 6.9 will in fact be able to put its power to the ground - even on a damp surface, AND going uphill. That's the test. Regards Styria

N.B......and BTW, I did have the opportunity to properly listen to Gleaming Beauty's exhaust sound - my oldest boy drove the car the other day and I asked him to accelerate with a certain amount of fervour - the sound was absolutely magic.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Nah that just means the car is under powered and slow. There is no such thing as to much motor just to little car. :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Nah that just means the car is under powered and slow. There is no such thing as to much motor just to little car. :D

You take the high road, I'll take the low road. :D. Regards Styria

N.B. As long as we both enjoy what we've got.