Team116 #2 cronicle 25th-27th April 2008 - small annoying things

More threads by B13

B13

Since it was the Anzac long weekend I took the time to attending to the following small things on the Team car:

Changed hydraulic chain tensioner with a good used one
Had a look inside old chain tensioner
Changed radiator expansion tank
Cleaned battery area where there was white powder corrosion from previous leaking battery
Installed 350SE speedo in readiness for 350SL diff
Changed aux air valve for a good used one
Cleaned flame guard filaments

NOTES:

The more I'd been trying to diagnose the noisy timing chain the more it seemed that at various times the tension wasn't consistent. There are times when the chain is silent, and other times when its clanking around louder than the exhaust... since I had a spare tensioner from a 450SEL I ratted for parts I fitted that and which I'm not prepared to say thats solved the problem, in the test driving I've done the chain seems to be consistent in its sound, if not exactly quiet. Pulling about the old tensioner I see that the O ring on the piston has shrunk as was no longer giving a positive seal, most of the pressurised oil probably ended up straight back in the sump and the tensioner only pushed so-so against the chain. I'll rebuild it soon with a new O-ring.

My car had this old brass or copper radiator expansion tank with its seams starting to weep so I changed it with a plastic one from a later model 450SE. Looks like I might have saved a kg or 2 in the change over. No more problems getting pressure into the cooling system or strange hisses from the crappy old brass tank.

The 350SE speedo went in a treat and reads 60 when I'm doing 70 so I think I'll just do whatever speed other motorists seem to be doing on our roads.

Tested in hot and cold water both the aux air valves (the one which came with the car and my spare) both seemed to open and close the same amount but I put the spare one in anyway and found the warm idle was now so low the car stalled. Turned the idle speed screw out 3 turns to get it right - at least its now not 1/2 turn away from bottoming out. It hasn't solved everything with the D-jet but made it a bit smoother, both in terms of hunting and smoothness of idle. Idle has been set to 800 in D using a desktop tacho.

Cleaned the flame guard filaments because everyone else seems to be doing it at the moment. The front one was much dirtier than the rear one.

Car is going in for its roadworthy certificate tomorrow... wish me luck... pending the outcome, I can start the proper track preparation in earnest. Oh and a compression test tomorrow before the roadworthy...

I.

Last edited:
OP
B

B13

Compression test results are in... all 8 pistons read between 140 and 150PSI, and the leakdown is OK - not great but not bad. Basically for what I want it for its not a bad candidate. Bring on the timing chain and sprockets!

Can someone tell me whats the lowest compression reading ever recorded on one of these engines before they will no longer run?

(On those wankel engines I mess around with 75PSI is the absolute lower limit and 120PSI is about as good as it gets unless its a brand new engine, which will start out at 150PSI but work its way down to 120PSI within the 1st 20,000km as the seals loosen up.)

Ian.

SELfor50

Ian, I can't help you with compression readings.. and I haven't ever done one on ol' silver so I can't even offer a comparison.

What I can tell you is.... "It's On!" ;)

I'm guessing this means it's full 'steam' ahead on the development of Team 116 Car 2??

What's your target list by the first event, and which event are you aiming to be ready by?

Cam2.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi B13, those compression readings are fine - on that score, the motor will give you no problems. I take it that you have obviously overcome your oil pressure issues.

As far as low pressure readings are concerned, 50lbs./sq.inch is about the lowest limit on one or two of the cylinders. Anything more than that, you'd have major problems. Regards Styria

OP
B

B13

Thanks guys, yes I'm pretty pleased with those figures since listening to the engine its obvious the tappets haven't been adjusted for 20 years, and the timing chain hasn't been done in that time as well... plus the previously noted oil pressure problem I was expecting oil-staved rings and compression to be very ordinary... its almost as if the PO put on a sports exhaust system to drown out the noisy tappets/chain :eek:

The oil pressure issue has been resolved, in that its never going to be as responsive as Oscars, Cams, or even my 6.9s, but it still is well above what MB specified as the minimum acceptable limits so it will have to do.

Not exactly out of deep water yet, I'm waiting for the results of the RW test today (I can tell you already a dozen small things wrong with the car which will make it fail) but if I get a list of what my tested actually wants then I can fix them. The modify the car.

If I get into it with Mercules-like gusto, I reckon the car can be ready for an event in August. Yes its that rough... by rights the car should have been consigned to the wreckers and a better car sourced in the first place but remember I:

- am learning lots of stuff about working on these cars
- really wanted a SWB with no sunroof and a D-jet 450SE V8 (a hard combination to find in any condition)
- got some 15" wheels suitable for competition with this car, a better proposition than the 14" bundts
- enjoy a challenge

I.

SELfor50

Thanks guys, yes I'm pretty pleased with those figures since listening to the engine its obvious the tappets haven't been adjusted for 20 years, and the timing chain hasn't been done in that time as well... plus the previously noted oil pressure problem I was expecting oil-staved rings and compression to be very ordinary... its almost as if the PO put on a sports exhaust system to drown out the noisy tappets/chain :eek:

The oil pressure issue has been resolved, in that its never going to be as responsive as Oscars, Cams, or even my 6.9s, but it still is well above what MB specified as the minimum acceptable limits so it will have to do.

Not exactly out of deep water yet, I'm waiting for the results of the RW test today (I can tell you already a dozen small things wrong with the car which will make it fail) but if I get a list of what my tested actually wants then I can fix them. The modify the car.

If I get into it with Mercules-like gusto, I reckon the car can be ready for an event in August. Yes its that rough... by rights the car should have been consigned to the wreckers and a better car sourced in the first place but remember I:

- am learning lots of stuff about working on these cars
- really wanted a SWB with no sunroof and a D-jet 450SE V8 (a hard combination to find in any condition)
- got some 15" wheels suitable for competition with this car, a better proposition than the 14" bundts
- enjoy a challenge

I.

And the last line is the most important my friend.... :D ;)
I don't see any reason why you won't come within 1-2 secs of my lap times! :D

Ok... sorry.. getting well ahead of myself. :eek:

Seriously though, it'd be awesome if you have it ready for an event later this year. Regardless of results, I can't wait to see the 2 chariots lined up together and see the heads turn. Gonna be pretty :cool:

OP
B

B13

The car finally passed its roadworthy today, so its on to Vicroads tomorrow for its club permit (a.k.a conditional) registration.

Some things which needed changing:

windscreen
wiper blades
rear subframe bushes
rear control arm bushes
re-kit brake calipers
brake pads
auto trans leak
engine oil leak
coolant leak
p/s leak
pitman arm bushes
tie rod ends
drag link
front brake pads
tyres
fix rust
fix more rust
exhaust leak

and any number of other things...

oscar

Well congratulations. The things which need changing, are they stipulated by vic roads or is that your list of things to do. In other words, do they have to be seen to to maintain rego?

OP
B

B13

Thats just the sh!t to get it through the RW process... if I'd know it needed that much stuff I'd have started out by looking for a better car...

A lot of those things, like the fluid leaks and the exhaust leak, are very minor, and its getting R-spec tyres etc... I suppose most of that stuff would have had to be done sooner or later, I guess its less stuff to worry about in the future.

Now - lets modify!

oscar

Now - lets modify!

Well I found another weight saving measure. Standing in Gloria Jean's last night in Wagga, I saw an unflattering reflection of me in the window. Did the whole Homer Simpson routine of pulling the gut in and sticking the chest out till I realised passing cars could see me. Don't know about your build but I reckon there's at least 20kg's to be shed for my cause without using a grinder.:rolleyes:

SELfor50

Good to hear Mavric!! And yep, let the development race begin... ;)

Oscar, you're spot on mate. Since i've started motorsport i've been smashing the gym.
From Sep last year to March this year I was going pretty much 2 x a day, 4 days a week.
Starting weight was 104.6kg, i'm currently 85.5.
Target is 82. I've definately noticed a difference in pace.....on the treadmill anyway. :)

What's the first things on the modification list Ian?

oscar

Far out Cam:eek: that's awsome. I remember that photo of you and the PM then when I saw you at Sutton I thought you looked different, but you know, blokes don't necessarily comment on how buff their mates are lookin'.:rolleyes: You've got me motivated. JC here I come. Jenny Craig that is, not jesus.:D

Anyway, back to your question - What's the first things on the modification list Ian?

SELfor50

Are you talking about using Nitrous to blast away all the traces of rust? :D

How you going to do it?? Just tap into the fuel supply?
What sort of shot size will you use etc?

OP
B

B13

Nah... I'm full of crap.. no nitrous... just wanted to see who responded first.

N20 not allowed in any sanctioned events except drags.

I'm going to attend to all the under car stuff: diff, springs, shocks, brake ducting, service the auto, etc. That should keep my busy for the next week.

Next the exterior: stickers, spoilers etc.

Then the boot stuff: fuel cell, battery relocation, harness mounts..

Then the motor...

And finish off with the interior...

I.

SELfor50

Nah... I'm full of crap.. no nitrous... just wanted to see who responded first.

N20 not allowed in any sanctioned events except drags.

I'm going to attend to all the under car stuff: diff, springs, shocks, brake ducting, service the auto, etc. That should keep my busy for the next week.

Next the exterior: stickers, spoilers etc.

Then the boot stuff: fuel cell, battery relocation, harness mounts..

Then the motor...

And finish off with the interior...

I.

You serious?? F*K I should've checked that before i got my hopes up.
I actually did have plans for NOS but oh well..

You reckon you'll be ready for July @ phillip island?

OP
B

B13

You reckon you'll be ready for July @ phillip island?

You mean Sandown? (Sandown is closer, geographically to both me and Canberra)

I'm doing the prep on the Mazda for that shortly. I guess I have to decide whether its a good or bad idea to run Team116 #2 with stretched timing chain... will decide after I measure timing chain stretch soonly.

I.