Team 116 Car #3 - Day 1

More threads by SELfor50

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I just opened this thread as I have been a tad busy....

Shock... Oscar.... a new car ! :confused:

After I sat down and had a cuppa, I began to realise it wasn't such a bad move after all...

Oscar was close.... he has the parts, has the space and a very understanding Oscarette (you'll need to put more money on scrapbooking material as well as MB parts :rolleyes:)

Anything I can do to help (from Sydney) don't hesitate to ask...

Congratulations to both of SELfor50 and Oscar on the will to salvage another 116 and a future Team Car :cool:

oscar

Anything I can do to help (from Sydney) don't hesitate to ask...

Thanks Michel. If you could put Jerry on the next flight to Griffith.... :D
Seriously though, some advice when the time comes for the panel and paint would be awsome. ;) Maybe some product too if I ever get to Sydney again. Anyway, more of that when the time comes.

(you'll need to put more money on scrapbooking material as well as MB parts )
I wouldn't mind a MIG for myself. I wonder if oscarette will be convinced it has uses for scrapbooking:p.

abl567

Super Moderator
I thought the radiator fan must have hit the dizzy too. But I've found out since it was the top oil cooler hose. I'm not sure if the oil cooler may be able to be used again but the top oil hose is cripmed and "S" shaped now and is wet with oil but not dripping. I reckon if the motor was running it would be spurting. It needs to be renewed. The lower hose is ok.

I think what's going to happen from here on in is that the good red 280 is going to be supplying parts due to compatability and I think it's going to be easier to repair the front end of the crashed one than convert the red one to manual.

Do I need an oil cooler? The k-jet 280 has the wide radiator, the red S has the rad+oil cooler arrangement (same as the white one) but both apares also have A/T cooler hose attachments unlike the manual:confused: Can I use either of these radiators?

I can't find ignition amplifier box. So I had a look at red. It hasn't got one either:confused:

I'm confident that a new dizzy will see it start, but obviously I don't want it to run for very long with the coolant and oil leak.

I have a 280 oil cooler here you can have for the cost of postage, or you can pick it up.

oscar

Thanks so much for the generous offer. It's a hard decision so far as sourcing other parts or parting out the red 280S. You might have missed that saga but I bought a 280S from Canberra in Nov 06 as a parts car but found it to be in rather good nic. The major drawback a blown head gasket and cracked piston rings in the 6th cylinder. The engine needs rebuilding. So whilst I've been scratching my head for a while I think I'll just use parts for the racer and possibly rebuild the engine at a later date for use in the racer as well.

The body will stay intact but everything I need mechanically for the racer is in this corner. I might as well use them.

and here's a couple of pics when i bought the thing. It's a bit dusted now in comparison.:rolleyes: Wow I haven't seen these photos for a long time:(

don't try this, too darn heavy for the suspension

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Thanks Michel, I'm confident the ol' girl will get there and eventually be quite competitive. :)

Oscar, those pics of the Red one look bloody great! Red goes faster too.. Engine / Trans swap would prob be easier to do in 1 piece?! Then again, that body seems too nice for the track..

...also just thought. This post is still titled, "Day 1". I guess that's still appropriate yeah? :rolleyes:

oscar

day 1 indeed:cool: When I get stuck into it I'll have to post progress reports in different threads.

The only thing I did to it today was push it out of the garage, did an 8 point turn and put it nose in so it faces my shed and busy bodies will think it's the 350. Speaking of which, I bought another 350se badge of ebay today to complete the illusion.

Arriving in the mail today was new brake hoses from Argentina. $37US for a set of four. I'll try them on the 350 first before recommending them but will get another set for the 280 if they're good.