Red Bull (5541)

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I dragged her out of the barn the day before last and treated her to a wash. While doing so, I checked her over and started a list of repairs. When the workshop's set up in the next week or so I'll put her on stands and do a closer inspection. I think the wheels are genuine AMG 16 x 8s... :D

CIMG6172.jpg

CIMG6173.jpg

CIMG6183.jpg

CIMG6177.jpg

CIMG6179.jpg

CIMG6178.jpg

Bet you've never seen the last numbers of a VIN etched into all the windows (done by the PO)!
CIMG6181.jpg

And so it begins..... :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark 16x8 means yes they are the real deal on the inside of the spokes they will have amg or ats. The only other brand is ronal who made the amg branded one's. They made penta's as well with slight change in styling with ronal on the spokes hope this helps :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I love it...

Great potential maaaaaaaaaate....:p

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm still checking her over and the worst so far is a leaking sunroof. Although the tyres are in good condition, they're crap Bob Jane tyres with an incorrect rolling diameter and load rating. The originals were 215/70 VR14 which equates to a nominal rolling diameter of 656.6mm. With Victorian regs of an acceptable range of + or - 15mm, it means anything between 641.6mm and 671.6mm is acceptable. The current tyres are 225/50 R16 and just don't look right (the profile and diameter appear too small). Sure enough, the rolling diameter is only 631.4mm and therefore out of the acceptable range. It'll obviously effect acceleration, top speed and speedo calibration.

The tyre placard specified a maximum load rating (not less than) 1610lbs (730kg). That equates to a load rating of 97. At only 92, it's clear the tyres currently fitted aren't acceptable and I'll be searching for some replacements. Unfortunately these issues are common with new tyres, as the fitters aren't aware of the regs and the controlling factor is usually the price. In a collision you could potentially come unstuck, as your insurance company may fail to honour a claim regarding a vehicle with unapproved modications.... :eek:

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I should take my own advice and not take pics with things 'growing' out of the roof!! After another wash she looks tough! :D

IMG_0345.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
And here I go..... :D

CIMG6553.jpg

CIMG6554.jpg

CIMG6555.jpg

I removed the sheepskins and discovered the front seats aren't too bad. But as usual, the RF base has collapsed:

CIMG6556.jpg

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
This curious repair to the RF floor had me rather worried when I first noticed it.... It's likely this is evidence of a previous rust repair:

CIMG6514.jpg

It looks like the accelerator pedal came adrift at some point and it's now bolted to the floor:

CIMG6518.jpg

Note the height difference where the original floor insulation was removed. Some aftermarket foam was added by a PO and after some accurate trimming by yours truly the carpet (with original moulded backing) fits much better:

CIMG6517.jpg

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Even though I don't drink the stuff, I like 'your' Red Bull.

Looking good :D

WiSeGuYY

I do DRINK it though it is bad for my BP but MARK you have one heck of a queen there. never mind the previous trials , i would take care of mine too , just treat her well as much as you can.

REGARDS
TAREK

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Quite true that Red Bull is no good for your health! Especially judging by the ball joints, struts and wheel studs... And no good for my hip pocket!! Red Bull the drink isn't good for you either and if I hit it hard I've found the sides of my tongue feel quite strange; almost swollen.... The quack said stay away from it... :eek:

BTW the rolling diameter of the original tyres (215/70 R14) is 658mm according to the Tyre and Rim Association. The 225/50 R16s currently on the car are listed as 632mm. Victorian tyre standards changed since September 2011 and it's now ok to have a rolling diameter up to 26mm less than standard. Despite the fact that the diameter is ok (right on the minimum), the load rating still isn't correct. Plus they just don't look right to me and I'm sure what I mentioned before about the speedo and gearing is still valid. And so I'll be looking for new tyres after all the other bigger jobs are complete....

WGB

It looks a great car and should be a good starting point.

Having spent four years under my 6.9 I know what you will have to do but it is worth it.

As each little issue is ironed out it will get better and better.

Bill

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Thanks Bill. I'm now aiming for July, so this will be interesting!!! :D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, it would seem obvious that you have changed tack by turning your attention to Red Bull, and away from Blue Flame, presumably on account of the chassis cracks you discovered in the later. As WGB says, you have a good starting point, even with both cars, although I must admit to having more of a liking for the red car. It just seems nice, notwithstanding the somewhat deteriorated state of part of the underside.

It's from hereon that the car(s) will start to cost you money, but how much will depend on the standard you would want to attain. Good luck with your project(s) and, may I add in passing or closing.....I have forgotten what I was going to add ! Regards Styria :eek:

N.B. I have just remembered - thanks for your detailed posts and photographs - one thousand just a deep breath away.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I had her running today after flushing the oil tank etc and getting the filter parts I needed. With the 10W-40 oil the pressure's the same and no noises so far. Actually she sounded a little angry, so maybe she's itch'n for a drive... Truely she sounded better and smoother, even though I haven't done a tune yet, or checked the chain.

The first and last time I drove her I felt something was seriously wrong and at that point I thought it was engine mounts... Obviously later I discovered the horror which is the state of the struts, with the RR ball joint completely detached. However today I also had a chance to check the engine mounts and I noticed the heat shield on the right one was cracked. Without being able to see it clearly, I suspect the mount underneath is cactus. When I went to check the LH one the problem was immediately apparent. The lower mounting bolt was missing completely!! I can understand a bit of neglect, but this thing was downright dangerous! Good thing I'm onto it..... :cool:

Tony66_au

Its funny how time spent on old classics unearth prior bad acts lol

I feel for you especially when you find stuff like missing or broken bolts, mounts etc.

I suspect that the only reasons for mangled driveline mounts is abuse and I've seen my fair share.

Nice to hear you had the old girl running Mark and the next 4 or so days will probably be the last dry days for a while so enjoy the warmth while you can mate.

Dont give up on em though.

Tony

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark best off luck with your cars but dont worry about the noise in the air it is just the sound off just 34.5 litres off Mercedes thunder you been thunder struck lol.:D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Funny that I was thinking of that only yesterday and if I add it all up it's more like 50L of V8 noise!!!! I'm surprized I don't vaporize as soon as I step outside, as I've must've created a localized hole in the ozone layer!!! And the neighbours are all blaming me for their stock evaporating, as the damn thing has my name on it!! ;):D

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Meh, between silage stock feed pits and cow farts the locals are more than responsible for any holes in the Ozone layer.

As for greenies?

Half of em are still boycotting spray cans even though they haven't had chloroflurocarbons for 15 years so there goes THEIR credibility.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark i was only counting the 6.9s as they are all that matters 39 litres if you count pee wee of Mercedes thunder 44 litres with the Ford . I used to have a 220kw AU 11 XR8 driven TS50 5.6 not bad better than 260 boss no one home till 4000rpm knock off at 5 . No wonder the turbo is better as for the Buick which motor does it have but yes you would have over 50 litres .I believe i have helped the ozone over the years including a 460 powered XB Fairmont & 454 powered HQ Kingswood and for Tony i had a Dodge Pheonix with 440 & 360 CL Valiant :D