Nice Coupe for Benz-Boy

More threads by Anthony 350 sl

G

GreaseMonkey

I always liked the Camargue too.
Apparently not eveyrone's taste they do sometimes get criticised for being too flash, and a bit big, but never bothered me.
It does seem to depend on the colour too, and that one looks just fine.
I read they tilted the radiator forward a couple of degrees to get the look right.
A good one in Europe would be a bit less than that, about AU$70K, but probably not such low kms.
I too have a problem with being a few dollars short unfortunately, or I would be on my way to QLD.
The Camargue region in France has always been one of my favourite places too.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Gentlemen,
With due respect, I suggest no-one buy anything at the moment. The economy may well go into a nose dive leaving some unable to pay for their toys. Anyway, the really top stuff has gone from the market at the moment.
Good buying will come later in the next quarter if you still have money.
I could be wrong but personally I am battening down the hatches and nailing all covers at the moment. I seriously fear the worst is to come.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

116Benz

I'll agree with you BenzBoy, I think this is the sneeze before the cold.

Martin280s

Rolls-Royces aside...I love the Camargue..Just the other day my mother was saying how bad things are in the UK. Fortunately brazil hasn't been hit yet...but we are preparng ourselves.

Just today I went to get a new flexdisc for my W124 and the spares salesman was saying how people are fixing up their old Benzes rather than trading them in for something newer, which it's usual to trade in in Nov/Dec in Brazil.

I too have decided to hang on to my W124 until , at least, the second half of 2009.

Martin280s

Rolls-Royces aside...I love the Camargue..Just the other day my mother was saying how bad things are in the UK. Fortunately Brazil hasn't been hit yet although, we are preparng ourselves. The Government has reduced some taxes to stimulate new car sales. The end of the is traditional to change your car here, just in time for your summer hols...

Just today I went to get a new flexdisc for my W124 and the spares salesman was saying how people are fixing up their old Benzes rather than trading them in for something newer.

I too have decided to hang on to my W124 until , at least, until the second half of 2009.

Last edited:
G

GreaseMonkey

Each to their own of course, doesn't do it for me, maybe it is the colour that is off putting.

I would prefer this, I even like the colour

http://carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri...11&seot=0&__Nne=15&trecs=7&__sid=11E5F7F4914B

Of course we were all debating this as if any of us were really going to buy either, but yes, given the choice a Corniche wins hands down every time.
Ignoring for a moment any worries about the world ending tomorrow, financially at least, as much as I said that Camargue seems overpriced, that Corniche looks a bargain (if it is all it should be), and if you could get two Corniches for the price of one Camargue then maybe the world has ended already.
My initial post was just in defence of the Camargue's styling, often rubbished, but I think, maybe now a few years have passed and we have the new 'Phantom' to look at, it was not too bad.
A Corniche, (or Shadow or MPW coupe) is still a good car without being over the top and will always be a classic that can be bought and run on a sensible budget.
C.M.

Lukas

My 2.2c: I don't particularly like the looks of any Rolls-Royce that has the modern car shape - essentially anything without running boards I suppose.

If anything, the squarer ones (like Michels) with square headlights are the best of the modern ones, as the large squared-off grille looks very out of place on something all rounded and curvy. The current shape is although an excepetion to that rule too - it looks to me like a car I would have drawn after playing with ProE for an hour - very primitive shapes, un-coordinated.

The Camargue, which I've not seen before this thread, takes the cake for fugly R-Rs in my book - the back looks like a Fiat, while the front looks like a R-R factory test car they slapped together from the parts bin. I do like the stripy grooved ceiling though.

Anyway, nobody asked me, so I'll be quiet now.:)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It looks like a FIAT because it was designed by Pinninfarina. The Camargue does not do it for me either but interestingly, no two Camargues are mechanically identical. Each was a development on the previous one and was in reality a bespoke vehicle. Great fun when you come to repairing and replacing the electrics and injection components. :eek:
The fact remains that they are highly valued so long as there is no rust - and usually their closed-box sections have it merrily muching away inside...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My 2.2c: I don't particularly like the looks of any Rolls-Royce that has the modern car shape - essentially anything without running boards I suppose.

If anything, the squarer ones (like Michels) with square headlights are the best of the modern ones, as the large squared-off grille looks very out of place on something all rounded and curvy. The current shape is although an excepetion to that rule too - it looks to me like a car I would have drawn after playing with ProE for an hour - very primitive shapes, un-coordinated.

The Camargue, which I've not seen before this thread, takes the cake for fugly R-Rs in my book - the back looks like a Fiat, while the front looks like a R-R factory test car they slapped together from the parts bin. I do like the stripy grooved ceiling though.

Anyway, nobody asked me, so I'll be quiet now.:)

Square you want - square we do; probably has a cdx equivalent to Government House in a gale; :D

L1030206.png

Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

It looks like a FIAT because it was designed by Pinninfarina. The Camargue does not do it for me either but interestingly, no two Camargues are mechanically identical. Each was a development on the previous one and was in reality a bespoke vehicle. Great fun when you come to repairing and replacing the electrics and injection components. :eek:
The fact remains that they are highly valued so long as there is no rust - and usually their closed-box sections have it merrily muching away inside...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Pinifarina, while making some nice cars did often use common ideas on different models and not always successfully.
The Fiat 130 Coupe was a nice car for the time (all rusted away now though,)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/Other Stuff/Fiat_130_Coupe.jpg

but scaling it up to fit the Shadow parts and adding a R-R grille did not lend itself so well proportionately (is that a word OBH?) and if you ever see one in the metal you will see it looks more like an elephant in a party dress.
Having said that, I still like them, probably the weirdo in me, I used to have a thing about old Ford Thunderbirds too!

I have an old Dalton Watson book here on Pininfarina, I will have a look later, see what that says about the evolution of the design.
In fact, I think I may even still have an original R-R brochure showing the Camargue, if I can find it I will scan that in too.
HooRoo,
Chris M.