New Car

More threads by mathew

mathew

Well it seems the star has struck again but this time not for a vintage model like I would normally go for. With fuel costs rising the old V* was getting a little too thirsty for everyday use so the search was started. As luck would have it Mercedes are having a demonstrator clearance sale and after driving a couple, I settled on a C250 CGI Avantgarde model. What an amazing car t's fitted with all the toys and a Harmon Karden entertainment system which simple beggars belief!!! This is the best compact Mercedes ever made beyond any doubt. It's as stiff as in the structure and the handling is exceptional a top little car!!!

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Ooooh; nice!!! :D

260ebenz

Master
Welcome back Mat good to see you posting on the Forum again.

Now that is what I call a Mercedes owners garage with 5 Mercedes that is Paradise to me a garage full of Mercedes great to see!

Well I must say the C250 is one fine looking car congrats to you and your Family on the purchase.

I did know last week about Mat's new wheels spoilt the surprise now for the rest of you sorry guys!

But I suspect a few fellow Club Members knew about Mat's new wheels?

"Mr.Storm" looks absolutely stunning I wonder if I can prize the keys from the owners for a drive at this years Concours of course I should say please and what a great honor it would be?

To you and your Family Mat happy motoring mate!
:D

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Matt, nice looking car and, believe it or not all you other guys, the amount of power is blinding. Steering wheel paddles, the lot - you just want to keep playing and fiddling all day. Good stuff. Regards Styria

WiSeGuYY

Congratulation on the new purchase , c204 is a real fine looking car in the Mercedes fleet today and best seller here in CAIRO as well and AVANT
GAUARD is full of toys and gadjets i know , we have the C300 AV AMG and it is real powerful for the size.

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done Matt.

I fell in love with the new C Class at the Press Launch last year and almost ordered one there and then!

I know you won't be regretting this purchase, especially with the excellent deal you got!

CONGRATULATION$ :p

6.9forever

Noble
I got mine new in Aug 10 and have driven 35,000km trouble free. I do covet the current facelift's superior 7G Tronic gearbox though.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Mat: Could you give us a few clues on the fuel consumption you are getting, some of the details of the bling Mercedes has installed in this model, and some of the spec's.

Ta!

6.9forever

Noble
After 35,000km my car has averaged 8.6 litres/100km. "Bling" daytime running lights, see round corners xenons, agile turbo 1.8 but aided greatly by subsequent 7 speed box. 255 rears, 225 fronts x 18" Continentals. COMAND. Excellent Harmon-Kardon sound. Easy easy car to drive every day. Very stiff body, good breaks and pick up when needed. V light steering, aim and shoot (sooooo different to RCB steering on 6.9 - scary really what 30 years design progress can do).

6.9forever

Noble
oops ...

breaks --> brakes

Styria

The Godfather
oops ...

breaks --> brakes

Them's the brakes - oops, breaks. Still like Gleaming Beauty - something very satisfying, especially with a straight through rear muffler now. Even Gleaming Beauty likes it. :D Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Unfortunately I find most new car experiences to be rather insulated and non-responsive. It's not until really pushed that they get up and go. And it's not long after that when the electronic intervention fun police steps in and reigns everything back to boring. So there's a very small window of enjoyment. The only one that really impressed me in recent years was an E63.... WOW! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Meh as long as there are enthusiasts there are ways to de program speed limiters

Where can you do more than 250km/h safely (and without getting booked) in OZ? :(

Oversize

Grand Master
I was referring to all the other devices that make up the fun police (not speed limiters).... Traction control is great when you need to overtake, or pull out in a hurry and suddenly you lose power! ABS is lovely on a gravel road (not). Fly-by-wire is also brilliant when you put your foot down and the car decides when it wants to go (after a lengthy delay). And then there's the electronic transmission controls that seems to take forever to decide whether it probably should kick things down a gear or two. Not happy Jan.... :mad: Gimmie a pre-gizmo car any day!!!

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I was referring to all the other devices that make up the fun police (not speed limiters).... Traction control is great when you need to overtake, or pull out in a hurry and suddenly you lose power! ABS is lovely on a gravel road (not). Fly-by-wire is also brilliant when you put your foot down and the car decides when it wants to go (after a lengthy delay). Not happy Jan.... :mad: Gimmie a pre-gizmo car any day!!!
Um - I have to disagree very strongly here.
ABS/BAS/ESP are very nice when you crest a hill at speed to be confronted by a car on the wrong side of the road and you need to make an emergency table-drain exit left. :eek:
There have been occasions when I have dipped my hat to Saint ESP - even in gravel. Saint Christopher eat your heart out on this one. :D
Anyway, on a Benz you can turn off the ESP - you can't on a Toyota so they are totally useless for driving on country roads in the wet. Try it and you'll see why country folk don't waste their time with non-switchable ESP.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian i disagree it was not me on the wrong side of the road . No body saw me no body can prove a thing lol. Anyway yes esp have come a long way in a short period of time and current systems mostly are very good . There are exceptions though . Geoff :D

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes ESP is a god-send. But the other stuff sux!!!

Talking about safety, I was recently told that if you hit a pole (or tree) sideways above 30kmh without curtain airbags and you'll be toast. Side airbags will increase that critical speed slightly. A few questioned this submission, thinking the fatal speed would be much higher. They were given an interesting comparison: How fast can you run? (A = 30kmh). Now try running flat out at a pole and turn sideways just before you hit. Would you survive? The roof and side of a vehicle provide minimal protection, due to the deformation required to absorb the impact from a relatively narrow object and the distance between the side of the vehicle and the head of the occupant. Suddenly 30kmh seems fast! :eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi Brian i disagree it was not me on the wrong side of the road . No body saw me no body can prove a thing lol. Anyway yes esp have come a long way in a short period of time and current systems mostly are very good . There are exceptions though . Geoff :D
I reckon the fox tail hanging off the Armalite gave it away....:D