Minor rust repair / panel beater Melb?

More threads by dmb1978

dmb1978

New 450sl - Hard Top Repair Question

Hi there

I'm new to this forum. I have just acquired a nice 73 450sl (some quick pics attached) and the hard top has some a very small rust issue (about the size of a 20 cent piece) at the bottom right hand corner. Anyone know a good place in Melb (I live in inner city but happy to travel) that would do a good job with the repair? also, does anyone know where I can buy a hard top stand?

Thanks and kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Welcome to Topklasse!

Hardtop Stands:

I have some info. on a business in Sydney:

One Design Stands Ph. No. (02) 9416 7540.

Obviously, not convenient for a Melbourne resident. Give them phone call anyway. They may be able to steer you in the direction of a supplier in Melbourne.

By the looks of the one pictured in our N.S.W Club Magazine, it could be fairly easy to make one yourself. 25mm square section steel tube and four castors seem to be the basis of the design pictured.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
thanks, I will give the Sydney mob a call, can always make one if need be, cheers

Or you can place it on the floor against a wall (like I did) ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi dmb1978, thanks for joining. It is hoped that you will be able to enjoy being part of the 'topklasse family' and that you will take the opportunity time to contribute from time to time. You know, circumstances how you got hold of the car etc. etc.

You may also be interested to know that I have a 1973 350 SLC brochure - unmarked, as new. $25.00 would secure this rare item, and that includes postage. Good luck too with finding a good tradesperson in Melbourne. Regards Styria

N.B I have just re-read your original post and come to realize that you have the SL version of the 450. It seems as if your car has been well looked after - a definite bonus when buying just about any car.

Last edited:
OP
D

dmb1978

Hi

Thanks for the welcome. I was chatting to a nice guy at the Healy Factory in Ringwood, Melbourne and will take the hard top there next week for a quote. Acquired the 450sl a couple of weeks ago - full service history, timing chain done, sub frame done, air con recently refurbished, new carpets, no cracks in dash, 266,000 km, original service books etc. Just one thing - centre console is a bit worn and will be looking to repair / replace, but for now loving it!