Rust

More threads by Karl

Karl

Connoisseur
what are the major rust areas to look for on an SL?

any areas that in particular might have been patched up in the chassis or bodywork?

hoddo

Connoisseur
check the floor ..pull the mats
really check the sills well
up behind bonnet hinges
under and around the boot rubber
best bet is to have it properly inspected by an expert with a hoist

G

GreaseMonkey

See my reply to your SL enquiry in the post titled Hello, but generally any rust visible, walk away.
C.M.

hoddo

Connoisseur
Chris I think you are a bit quick to condem some of these old girls to death, while I agree any major rust will make the car a money pit, and usually what rust you can see is only an indication of alot more you cant see, professional panelbeating /rust repair isnt that expensive if the rust is not extensive. A car in otherwise very good condition needing a few grand spent to tidy up some rust can be a good buy if the price is right.

OP
K

Karl

Connoisseur
That is true I am just looking to make sure I don't end up with a rusty car needing work, otherwise I will look at something else.

G

GreaseMonkey

Chris I think you are a bit quick to condem some of these old girls to death, while I agree any major rust will make the car a money pit, and usually what rust you can see is only an indication of alot more you cant see, professional panelbeating /rust repair isnt that expensive if the rust is not extensive. A car in otherwise very good condition needing a few grand spent to tidy up some rust can be a good buy if the price is right.

Well I used to be in the trade years ago, and in my experience, a little visible rust equals a lot of hidden trouble, like the iceberg theory, ninety percent is unseen, and a lot of panel shop guys will not give a quote on a job, because they really can not tell what will be needed until they strip it down.
Anyone who gives a price up front is probably a bodger who will cut corners to get the job done.
I stand by my advice, and would be very wary of any evidence of rust in a 107.
Chris M.

OP
K

Karl

Connoisseur
Rust is like an iceburg until you start pulling panels off and getting into areas not normally seen it is possible to tell what is there. A little rust can indicate a lot more is there if you can find it.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Rust is like an iceburg until you start pulling panels off and getting into areas not normally seen it is possible to tell what is there. A little rust can indicate a lot more is there if you can find it.

There is rust and there is rust.

If it's a few bubbles here and then, that might be ok...

If you see serious big holes and flakes, it usually means that you have a major problem.

However, it all depends on the price.

ANYTHING can be fixed...

G

GreaseMonkey

However, it all depends on the price.

ANYTHING can be fixed...
Exactly......at a price,
my point is that with these cars, the difference in prices between a good car and a rotten one is so small there is no point trying to fix the rust unless you are a good panelman/welder with time on your hands.
Of course if a 300SL Gullwing came up cheap with a few rust bubbles the end result would justify the expense to put it right,
but right now there are a lot of good 107 models out there at bargain prices.
Happy hunting,
Chris M.

abl567

Super Moderator
Exactly......at a price,
my point is that with these cars, the difference in prices between a good car and a rotten one is so small there is no point trying to fix the rust unless you are a good panelman/welder with time on your hands.
Of course if a 300SL Gullwing came up cheap with a few rust bubbles the end result would justify the expense to put it right,
but right now there are a lot of good 107 models out there at bargain prices.
Happy hunting,
Chris M.

I thought Gullwings were aluminuim bodies over a space frame...

abl567

Super Moderator
Now we all have seen them:D:D

DSC00273.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, am I correct when I assume that the photograph depicts a wooden mock-up (if one can call that) that would be used in replicating exterior panels for the Gullwing models ?

If so, are they an EXCLUSIVE to the Lindsay Fox collection ? BTW, I know that you M100 guys visited that museum during the course of your Rallye. Were there any restrictions as far as taking photographs were concerned ? Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi abl567, am I correct when I assume that the photograph depicts a wooden mock-up (if one can call that) that would be used in replicating exterior panels for the Gullwing models ?

If so, are they an EXCLUSIVE to the Lindsay Fox collection ? BTW, I know that you M100 guys visited that museum during the course of your Rallye. Were there any restrictions as far as taking photographs were concerned ? Regards Styria

Hi Styria, if I remember correctly they were built here by the Lindsay Fox Foundation from the original blueprints supplied by MB and built with MB permission.
The only restriction at the collection was to respect the cars on display.