RUST - THE ENEMY OF EVERYTHING in '70"s

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Parks and I have seen the odd 107SL/SLC that really took a pounding from the eternal foe - rust.

One car, in particular, an Astral Silver SLC had practically no panel left below the rear screen - from side to side ! The attached scanned photos illustrate what can be done to fix most of the rust- at least, what you can see. It is a 1973 Signal Red 350SL. Just as an aside, that very same owner 's 450SEL looked at by bb was for sale several months ago and last I heard it was in Canberra with an asking price of about, was it $13,500 ?

mercedes350SLRustandPaint.jpg

You can also get an idea of what is involved in rectifying rust problems...not very nice...These pictures also show a bonnet being completely stripped..it had 2foot waves that needed eliminating...

oldcar350SLNo3.jpg......and now well and truly into preparation prior to painting...

mercedes350SLRustandPaint002.jpg

It can come as no co-incidence that one may need to look for lengthy periods to find a good, rust-free example. Once you do, you have a valuable asset on your hands. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
One car, in particular, an Astral Silver SLC had practically no panel left below the rear screen - from side to side ! The attached scanned photos illustrate what can be done to fix most of the rust- at least, what you can see. It is a 1973 Signal Red 350SL. Just as an aside, that very same owner 's 450SEL looked at by bb was for sale several months ago and last I heard it was in Canberra with an asking price of about, was it $13,500 ?
Regards Styria

Was that before you repaired it or after?

-bb-

Noble
Just as an aside, that very same owner 's 450SEL looked at by bb was for sale several months ago and last I heard it was in Canberra with an asking price of about, was it $13,500 ?

That 450SEL is still for sale and it's $14990, not $13500 :eek:

http://www.mbspares.com.au/Cars/450SELsedan1979model.aspx

Can you clarify the ownership of both cars? Is the owner of the SLC to which you refer, the bloke at Wahroonga I nearly bought that 450SEL off, or is it someone who bought it off him after I didnt proceed with the purchase?

PS: That's a ####load of rust...

Last edited:

Martin280s

Wow, and I'm panicking over the rust spot I found behind the lower door seals on Lady Genevieve, a bit of therapy and she'll be fine. That poor old girl when through extensive surgery and intensive care!:eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just to clarify things a little - there are no pictures at all of the rusty 450 SLC in this thread. It was a car that had spent a fair bit of time over near Bondi Beach (Junction ?) and it had its share of rust otherwise as well - not only in the windscreen panel.

The red 350SL's owner was also the owner of the 450SEL that you, bb, looked at. Neither the dealer at Wahroonga, nor John Green, have had any involvement with the 350SL - at least, not that I am aware of any. Although having said that, I wonder if the SL is still with the original owner ?

He had been done big time with the car. Bought it for $15K. with huge chromies and tyres which rendered the car almost undriveable - Parks drove it and he still maintains today that the thing purposely tried to run off the road whilst going in a straight line ! In fact, the handling was so bad, the owner sold the rims and tyres to a mate with an R129 - I think it was a 500 or 560SL. Apparently, they were alright on that car.

The owner, an absolute gentleman, had bought himself a real lemon and a half. We re-trimmed the car for him, but what cost huge were the external trim strips, front bumper centre section etc. etc. It seemed to be never ending with the parts that he had to purchase. It also turned out that a guy working with me at the time had known of the car and had been involved in preparing the car for sale with temporary rust repairs.

Michel, I do not have pictures of the car in finished condition - Parks may have some. Yes, the things you come across. Regards Styria

s class

It also turned out that a guy working with me at the time had known of the car and had been involved in preparing the car for sale with temporary rust repairs.

That must have made for an interesting working relationship!.

I also got 'caught' a bit with my 450SL - bought when I was younger and less knowledgable. It has rust in the right front chassis leg below the washer bottle, and in the front of the right sill. It had been quite well disguised when I bought the car. I have now been trying to sell the car with these problems for a reduced price - but being the honest fellow that I am, I've stripped the affected areas back with a 3M stripping disk so that prospective purchasers can see what is on offer for the money. I guess I could never make it in life as a used-car salesman.

Anthony 350 sl

All this rust talk makes me quite nervous.
My car has had rust repairs done to it some time ago but has since sat covereed in a shed in Tamworth for the last 10 years so it it is rust free at the moment.
It now resides in Sydneys inner west uncovered in my driveway. I am looking build a carport in the near future but are there any measures I can take to stop rust occuring. I read alot about applying fish oil.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
All this rust talk makes me quite nervous.
My car has had rust repairs done to it some time ago but has since sat covereed in a shed in Tamworth for the last 10 years so it it is rust free at the moment.
It now resides in Sydneys inner west uncovered in my driveway. I am looking build a carport in the near future but are there any measures I can take to stop rust occuring. I read alot about applying fish oil.

Well Anthony, there is no need to hit the panic button at this stage. Having spent the last ten or so years in Tamworth would certainly have helped as far as rust prevention is concerned. I think what you'd need to do is have a REALLY GOOD LOOK IN NOOKS AND CRANNIES. perhaps pull off door trims and the interior quarter panels, have a good look in the compartment that houses your soft top, the lower edges of the boot lid, the right front inner guard area, under your battery tray and of course sill panels particularly near the jacking points.

As far as parking in your driveway is concerned, there is little you can do as far as rust prevention is concerned. You just have to live with it. Regards Styria

B

BAR

For all those who have some repairs or restoration it is worthwhile looking at the diverse product range from Permanent Painted Coatings. www.por15.com.au

They will also post out a catalogue to Australian residents.

All their product is available by mail order.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a word of caution about POR 15. I can supply absolutely no proof about its rust protection properties, but I suspect that one could do a lot worse than using the product...and that's where caution needs to be exercised.

From a longevity and "future use" point, it is imperative that POR 15 is treated with the utmost respect. Once it is subject to the atmosphere, it dries rock hard (like a ceramic substance) and you will even have difficulty re-opening a tin if there is any POR 15 attached to the lid and the body of the tin. Whatsmore, even if the tin is sealed off with duct tape, there is every chance that it will solidify and that's the end of it. Nothing will 'soften' it once it has set.

Also, you need to keep it off your skin - it will take about two to three weeks to disappear from the pores of your skin - deadly ! Also, when spraying the stuff with an engine degreasing gun - it needs to go exactly where it is meant to be - nowhere else - it drips like you wouldn't believe and you need to be quick to remove it from unwanted areas-you've been warned - exercise extreme caution. Regards Styria