German website - 116 and 107 for sale

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...axMileage=200000&customerIdsAsString=&lang=de

My God, what have I done ? As I am typing this, I have absolutely no idea how this thread is going to look and develop. What I am trying to do is as follows - this particular website has four pages of 107 and 116s listed for sale, and some of the values, and of course an abundance of photos, provide an excellent overview of just what is happening price wise with our cars.

I have picked on the most expensive 6.9 listed on the site. Almost 40k. Euros with very low mileage.

N.B. Well, I needn't have worried. It is Page 4, and the car is the one with an asking price of, I think, $39,500 Euros. Serious money

Check out the underside of the car with its exhaust system - someone may be able to explain what the system is all aboput. It is certainly very, very NOTICEABLE. However, please also note sections of the interior - the driver's seat with damaged flute stitching, and the fact that the rear seat is showing signs of collapsing - and that's on an absolutely minimal mileage car. Very interesting. Even some of the other pics quite clearly illustrate that this car is not a Concours winner. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a couple more items I find of interest and curiosity value - for a start, the speedo that reads in miles, the temperature gauge showing Fahrenheit, but more importantly (perhaps), this car seems to have the low compression engine. 286 PS as quoted ? I have my doubts. Just note that this car does not seem to have the separate engine oil cooler. Regards Styria - N.B. I must have a closer look at some of these other cars adverised. Also note, the big money 450s are fetching.

Just seen it in the text - there is a Yankee tie up with this car.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The exhaust system you refer to appears to be a system of catalytic convertors with heat shields. I suspect that may have been put in place to avoid the practice in some European cities of banning "polluting" vehicles.
Yes, the interior does need some attention from Parks doesn't it? Maybe it was sat upon by FAT plutocrats rather than lean, lithe Australians...:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

wbrian63

The advert states that the car was originally ordered by the Consul of France "in the American version" and was used in Europe and in the US. Part of the car shows "the American version", and part doesn't. The owner posted the data card options for the car. I can't tell which # points to it but it clearly shows "California Version" in the list. This would explain the catalytic converters, the lack of an engine oil cooler and the MPH and F gauges. However, if this was a car built for US delivery, where are the park-bench bumpers?

Also note that there are no headlamp wipers - I thought this was a standard feature on 6.9's (except those built for US delivery) ... but I'm still learning about these cars.

Other items in the options list are "yellow fog lights" which were fittments for cars going to France. This agrees with the "original owner" statement, but where are those lights now?

I don't buy that the car was purchased "on purpose" as an for-US-delivery car. As far as I know, foreign govt's can bring in their own vehicles and are not subject to US regulations as to emissions or safety.

Maybe owner #2 replaced the bumpers and lamps to bring the car back to "euro-spec".

For sure, if it's a US delivery car, it has the 250hp motor, not the 286hp.

wbrian63

There are a number of cars listed there that are very nice - nicer than the ex-Franco-consul vehicle. Several have the uber-rare reclining rear seat, and I see one later model with ABS.

Still big bux - +30k euros is a pile of US dollars.

Maybe someday #521 will be good enough to fetch those $.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I found 24 6.9's on this site. The average price is 27,600 euros. Translates to $US 29,200, or $AUD 42,450.

The average distance travelled is 129,000klm (80,100 m)

One important point to make regards european cars. Roland Grellinger (Merc mech. in Sydney) remarked that the euro cars have to comply to their original anti pollution regs. for the year in which they were built, or they cannot be registered for the road.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just to take matters a little further following on from SEL69L's statistics. As at this date, the number of cars for sale are as follows, as well as their average price:

450SL/SLC & 5.0 litre (2 or 3) 35 units avg. price 15,800 Euros
450SE/SEL 16 units avg. price 9,200 Euros
450SEL 6.9 30 units avg. price 24,700 Euros

One of the appealing features of this website are , as a rule, the number of photos that can be perused which, of course, helps in evaluating the condition of the various cars on offer. It is quite remarkable that 6.9s fetch an average price that is almost 9,000 Euros higher than the various 107 models which, of course, include SLs as well. Very interesting. It appears quite clear that the 6.9 variants are definitely true collectors' items - at least judging by the units on offer on this website. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This site is worth another look -amazing how many 107 and 116 cars for sale, some at quite substantial prices. There is even a Brabus 6.9 listed, although I doubt if any engine mods have been carried out. Also, I am quite surprised at the asking price of some of the 450 Sedans - and not before time either. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
The most expensive 6.9 is 45900 Euro and it even has ABS.... Styria what a fantastic find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BTW that's $59,188 Aus!!!

Last edited: