1939 - 770K German Staff Car

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I was fortunate and privileged to see three of those lined up side by side at C. F. Mirbach, Classic Car dealers, in 2005. The actual physical size of these cars was overpowering. Unfortunately, taking photos was VERBOTEN. (Prohibited). Regards Styria

N.B. The music and background audio are quite appropriate for this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2XzgF-JAac

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Looking at this video again, I guess RECREATION of history will never die - this lot saluting the car look like coming straight out of Dad's Army...ah well. Regards Styria:D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Interesting Craig. Did you get to C. F. Mirbach in Hamburg, or in Bavaria ? You may recall that the last mentioned location was pretty close to the Chiemsee, right on top of a plateau, in magnificent surroundings. If you saw that venue, it was a privilege to be part of.

I have reason to believe that at some time the Company experienced some difficulty for various reasons, and then changed hands, and I also believe that they closed the outlet at Bernau (?) on the Chiemsee. Are you able to add more to this ? Regards Styria

CraigS

I saw the car in Hamburg. Since 2011, the company changed hands and now "Mirbach" is only in Munich. However, Claus has re-opened in a different suburb of Hamburg as Claus Mirbach (http://www.clausmirbach.de). Both companies have changed direction however and neither of them have as many classics (500/540K/770/Horch etc) as they used to and are mainly more commercial now.

I guess that is a sign of the times.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just to illustrate to members the extent of Mirbach's operations and facilities at Bernau (between Munich and Salzburg), the pictures hereunder were taken by myself back in 2005 - maybe some have already been shown on TK - if so, I apologize in advance. This picture depicts the main showroom, but take note of the additional different construction building at the back. From memory that section alone housed at least thirty cars. Sorry, no pictures of that area, as I was under strict instructions not to take photos. Any other photos were taken on the 'sly', so to speak.

MikeNo1018_zpsc6d4e831.jpg

MikeNo1031_zps30e94bbc.jpg

The largest of the four buildings housed the 770 Open Tourer staff cars - photos VERBOTEN - not allowed.

MikeNo1021_zps59b0b97a.jpg

.....and this is the Autobahn Kurier that I mentioned in some detail when featuring the Embiricos Bentley shown in PDF format.

MikeNo1028_zps7d3f6474.jpg

.....another view of this grandiose area - the place reeked of huge money - unbelieveably so.

MikeNo1023_zps432435fa.jpg

I would be loath to put a value on this Bugatti partially hidden by an immaculately kept garden area - however, note the building in the background - the upstairs area contained three 540Ks and a beautiful Horch cabriolet. Again, my apologies for no photos taken of that upstairs area - I still had my 'guard' with me. Regards Styria

MikeNo1029_zps7cb99f04.jpg

It really makes one wonder how such a successful operation could possibly have gone off the rails - the story (so I have read elsewhere), related to shady deals, vehicles on consignment not being processed in certain ways and apparently there were some quality issues with restorations. All restorations, by the way, were arranged with outside sources...anyway...