Alas - SLC has to go = have a look!!!

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

Too many cars. not enough time.
The W116 Crayford wagon will need a bare-metal respray next year, and the 1927 Ford T is still just a rolling chassis. so the SLC has to go.
Must be one of the cleanest surviving, it is a '76 in Diamond Blue with dark blue velour inside, all original - no chrome wheel arch add-ons, or oversize alloy wheels - and running great, it will come with a full year's rego from next week, at offers over $12k.
Not bad for one of the best - but we don't use it enoiugh, so someone could get lucky here.
Email for more photos, or info, or come along to Oran Park for our club track-day on the 16th to check the car over.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mate.......

That is a tough call...

I look forward to seeing your SLC on Nov 16

Good luck meanwhile

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, if the car is as good as you say it is, and I am mainly referring to its rust free condition, PLUS good paintwork, your asking price is certainly quite fair.

Good luck with the sale, but hopefully I'll be able to see it at Oran Park. I might even bring my Astral Silver 6.9 as well - just depending. Regards Styria

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Well, much as I like it, and if there were enough hours in the day, I may have time to drive it too, being realistic, it is a shame to have one this good sitting unused, and if there is someone who would appreciate one of the best examples, it is better to move it on.
I have too many toys and not enough space, the Crayford wagon and the Model T still need time and money, and my wife is playing Monopoly again, (but with real properties) so we will probably be needing some cash, which means she still won't be getting her SL for a while, but hey, can't have it all.
Oran Park, Nov 16th, inspection invited.
Chris M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A couple of years back I tried to find a good SLC under $15,000 and gave up. There was so much that was rusty and tatty that I came home in despair. I reckon yours represents good buying but now I have my hands full. Go on someone, buy it. At that price it is good value. :D And it may well have investment potential...
Regards,
BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Look forward to seeing it in the flesh....errrr... metal on the 16th....:p

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh....errrr... metal on the 16th....:p
We will be there. Give it a few laps, but I had always intended, given it's overall condition, not to thrash it too hard anyway, as it seems to have had a gentle life so far, and deserves to go to a discerning collector.
Even driven like an old f*rt it will get round the track better than any of my others - til maybe one day I get a 6.9 Crayford W116 !?!?!
Chris M.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I mentioned above that I may sell my SLC and I would be at Oran Park tomorrow.
Unfortunately, I can't make Oran Park, but the car is still available, and I can send more photos if required.
I am building a new garage, but still only have room for four cars, this is the one we use least, so, much as I like it, it is a shame to have hanging around unused, and the Crayford wagon and the Model T have prior claim on said garage.
It just got a new pink slip yesterday, so will be registered until Nov 23 2009.
Open to sensible offers over $12k.
I will not bother advertising it anywhere until after Christmas, but somebody has shown an interest in buying my Crayford wagon, and if this comes to a serious offer, (which so far, I am not too sure) I will have room in the garage to keep the SLC anyway.
PM or email me for further info.
Chris Martin

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

best to wait a while if you want a good price.

The economy may improve

Of course, like I said I am not in a hurry, I would rather it went to the right buyer who wants a clean original car.
There are plenty of cheap ones around that look ok until you get under the carpets, or tarted up cars with big shiny wheels.
I am only feeling a bit guilty about not using it much.
The two sedans are our daily drivers, and the Crayford is a rolling resto case, that will eventually take over as a daily car and a useful wagon at the same time.
As I said, that has had some interest, and may go instead if the offer is right (and serious), in which case I will have garage space to justify keeping the SLC as a Sunday car.
If and when the 'market' picks up, who knows?
By the way, in my day job I build luxury yachts in the two to five million dollar range and that business is not suffering yet, so there is still some big money going around!
C.M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have to support G-M here. A couple of years ago I searched high and low for a 450SLC and found only rubbish, regardless of price. In fact, some sellers were pissed that I would not make an offer on rusted heaps of junk - why should I? Wait for the right buyer and he/she will come along.
now, does this help? My belief is that guilt is not a normal human emotion. It is one of control that has been fostered by families and religions to control us. There is no guilt in not using the 450SLC - you are merely saving it - so enjoy looking at it and enjoy the occasional drive.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I have to support G-M here. A couple of years ago I searched high and low for a 450SLC and found only rubbish, regardless of price. In fact, some sellers were pissed that I would not make an offer on rusted heaps of junk - why should I?

Exactly, I have seen a few that would cost far more than they are worth to put right.

Wait for the right buyer and he/she will come along.
now, does this help? My belief is that guilt is not a normal human emotion. It is one of control that has been fostered by families and religions to control us. There is no guilt in not using the 450SLC - you are merely saving it - so enjoy looking at it and enjoy the occasional drive.
Regards,
BenzBoy
Most of the time, I tell myself just that and all is well with the world, but the council here make it very difficult to build a garage bigger than 6 by 6, so something is going to have to stay outside.
I forget all the guilt when I do drive it though, in fact I may just go for a spin down the coast this arvo!

C.M.

SELfor50

Most of the time, I tell myself just that and all is well with the world, but the council here make it very difficult to build a garage bigger than 6 by 6, so something is going to have to stay outside.
I forget all the guilt when I do drive it though, in fact I may just go for a spin down the coast this arvo!

C.M.

Did you end up going for a spin GM?? If so, did your elbow hold up OK?

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

No, but it wasn't the elbow that stopped me, ( I can still drive one-handed, just prefer not to on the limit at speed ), it was the lovely Mrs G.M. who wanted to get up the ladder and finish the wood staining on the pergola prior to a liberal dose of decking oil.
My job was to sit there with a cold glass calling the occasional "Hey, you missed a bit", and she had to put up with it too!
May take it to work though tomorrow.
C.M.