Brake Failure - Post Race Analysis

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Ok, so last outing at Winton the track beast known as Ol' Silver had a bit of a hard run for the day. It wasn't just getting abuse from me, but also from 13B (Ian). ;)
Being it was getting double the abuse in 1 day than it's used to, it takes it's toll.

On my last run for the day (which I wasn't going to complete, but at last minute decided why not), I ended up with total brake failure after coming through the esses at the end of the front straight. With only 2 options; Kitty litter at 100+km's and more than likely the wall -OR- Hard hook to the right across the grass back across the apex and then kitty litter. Pulling up short of the wall by about 2-3mtrs.

Anyway, long story short I got home took the car off the trailer and parked it in the garage. Hadn't had a chance (or maybe subconsciously I didn't want to) to investigate till now.

Results as follows;

Wheel/Tyre - Traces of Fluro Green brake fluid after the Rear Right caliper seal seems to have gone cactus.
IMG00096-20091124-1812.jpg

Rear Right Caliper / Rotor
IMG00091-20091124-1809.jpg
IMG00090-20091124-1808.jpg

Rear Right Caliper Internals / Pistons - Charcoal!
IMG00098-20091124-1854.jpg

Front Left
IMG00103-20091124-1918.jpg
The Pad's
DSC01820.jpg
The Rear Right Pads
DSC01821.jpg

Front Left Pad's
DSC01822.jpg
DSC01823.jpg
DSC01824.jpg
DSC01825.jpg
DSC01826.jpg
DSC01827.jpg
DSC01828.jpg

And the new stock pile of parts that will be for the 690SE. All bushes / suspension parts, new shocks (the heavy duty billy's, standard service parts, dizzy cap, rotor, penta's.
Those shelves will be filled in the next 3 weeks. Then they'll slowly be emptied. :)
DSC01810.jpg

John S

Wow, were those pads new or newish before you started racing the W116? They certainly generated a lot of heat to buckle the pad backing plate!!!

Looks like you need denser pads to ensure that they last a race or two.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Wow, were those pads new or newish before you started racing the W116? They certainly generated a lot of heat to buckle the pad backing plate!!!

Looks like you need denser pads to ensure that they last a race or two.

From memory, i'll do a quick countback. They lasted me;

3 x hill-climbs (5 Laps each)
1 x Wakefield Park Supersprint (About 30 Laps)
1 x Sandown Supersprint (About 16-20 Laps)
1 x Oran Park South Circuit Arive and Drive Day (25-30 Laps)
1 x Oran Park GP Circuit Supersprint (About 25 Laps)
1 x Winton Supersprint with 2 Drivers = Double the usage for 1 day (35-40 Laps)

So........

In summary,the Pad's are DEFinately up to the challenge. It's just the poor maintenance on my part that said before winton, "eh, they'll be right for 1 more event".

1 Set of pad's to stop a 1500kg W116 for over 150 Laps (obviously this would be less if they were consecutive laps) is pretty bloody good.

Still stand by QFM Comp 3's.

Cam.

B13

The economics of the QFM pads work out to be pretty good bang-for-buck in the scheme of our budget racing teams.

On an annual basis we put the cars through approx 6-7 sprints/track days, and 4-5 "other" events (in my car the other events are dirt autocrosses, and in Cam's other events are hillclimbs which are rather harder on the brakes than the autocross).

When weighed up how many events a single set of pads lasts, 12 months is a pretty good run for $340 worth of pads, and obviously they should be examined as part of the prep for each event (even I've been guilty of not checking them on my 450).

Also, remember on the last Winton event that car was pushed HARD by both of us with minimal cool-down time between heats, and the one-upmanship to get the best time (I eventually recorded the fastest time) and if the brake pads were down to 25% or less before that day started I can see why they eventually burned themselves out.

I checked whitey's pads before the cancelled-Calder round and they had about 50% thickness after 18 months of events. Haven't checked the 190E's pads since its only been in 2 events...

I.

oscar

3 x hill-climbs (5 Laps each)
1 x Wakefield Park Supersprint (About 30 Laps)
1 x Sandown Supersprint (About 16-20 Laps)
1 x Oran Park South Circuit Arive and Drive Day (25-30 Laps)
1 x Oran Park GP Circuit Supersprint (About 25 Laps)
1 x Winton Supersprint with 2 Drivers = Double the usage for 1 day (35-40 Laps)

So........

In summary,the Pad's are DEFinately up to the challenge. .

When you put it like that they definitely seem worth it. 150 laps of racing. I take back anything I said about queerying their suitability.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Hahaha... the buffet will be installed in the rear parcel shelf. Along with serviette dispensers etc.. I'm looking at doing formal events as well. :D

Styria

The Godfather
Well, the last time I saw those calipers they looked shiny and new ! Surprising the transformation in a comparatively short time. Really Champie, you should value your life and well being a bit more, shouldn't you ? ;)

The stuff you're stockpiling - it's looking pretty impressive and I am really looking forward to see what sort of product you come up with in the end with your 690SE. Please keep us posted - if you can make the time - about progress with the car. Regards Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Well, the last time I saw those calipers they looked shiny and new ! Surprising the transformation in a comparatively short time. Really Champie, you should value your life and well being a bit more, shouldn't you ? ;)

The stuff you're stockpiling - it's looking pretty impressive and I am really looking forward to see what sort of product you come up with in the end with your 690SE. Please keep us posted - if you can make the time - about progress with the car. Regards Styria

Hahah... yeah, I value my life mate. :)

They were shiny last time you saw them, but that was about 200laps ago.

I think for replacements I'll be buying brand new ones. Probably upgrade to the 560 brakes on the 450 as well. Same as on the 690SE. There's not a massive difference in the size, but if you add the different brake booter also.....the stopping power increase is quite significant.

I'll be posting pics etc once I get things underway... only a couple weeks now. ;)