Wheels and clearances

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am considering at a set of wheels for my 690SEL

They are 18" x 8.5" +25 offset at the front and 18" x 10" +25 offset at the rear.
The tyres are 235/40ZR18 at the front and 275/40ZR18 at the rear.

I know the offset is about right, but would the physical size of the wheels and tyres fit?

I can't check them physically as the wheels and tyres are in Melbourne.:(

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel not so sure about the rear but the front yes as i have 235/45/17 on my 6.9 all round i did know someone about 10 years back who had b45 simmons on the 450se in Canberra in 16x8 and 18x9.5 i thought at the time it looked great from memory fronts were 225 and rear 265 so i think you should be ok but just to be sure there is a business in Qeanbeyan called Wheel Factory at 5 Silva Ave ph 02 62977988 the owner does a lot off speacial order wheels for show car guys and really knows his wheels from memory he is friends to the now retired owner off Simmons and neale wheels if he cant tell you what will fit i dont think many others could hope this helps:)

John S

Michel, the heavy load on the front wheels of a 6.9 gives more understeer than the 450's, so I can see where use of a wider section tyre makes sense on the front.

However, unless you want the wider tyres on the rear for improved looks, I cannot perceive that going to a much wider tyre on the rear will improve drivability / feel near the limit.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have driven a 6.9 with 225 16 60's, and the car seemed more 'together' when driven near the limit than my car with 215 15 65's. More rubber on the road obviously helps. One problem with 6.9's in particular, though, is that if the car is not driven regularly, the suspension goes down. If you have very wide tyres on the front, then can interfere with the inside of the front mudguards, and so prevent the wheels from being turned. For this reason, I ALWAYS park my car with the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

I am personally not keen on fitting low profile tyres to a 6.9, because the valving in the hydraulic suspension is tuned for a 70 series profile tyre. A 70 series has more compliance in it than a low profile 50 or 45 series tyre. The original spec. tyre for a 6.9 is 215 70 14. Besides, I rekon those red wheels on your car Michel, look really fabulous!

Obviously, the overall gearing is altered. The front tyres are 1.7% less in diameter, and so will spin a little faster, making your speedo read a little optimistic, and the rear tyres are 3.1% larger in diameter, and so will give you a little milder acceleration, because of the slightly taller overall gearing.

Just remember, also, that with zero offset steering, the axis of the kingpin should pass through the centre of the tyre contact patch on the road.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Very wise words by just about everyone. There is a good chance that the rims and tyres will fit, and Motec69 mentions a chap from Neale Wheels that knows just about everything there is to know about mods, wheels tyres etc.

That chap, Michel, calls himself Walter these days (and has done so for more than sixty years) and he just happens to be the guy that I bought my wheels from. Walter owns Neale's Wheels at South Strathfield and you may perhaps recall that I need to see him to pick up a spare rim for 'Gleaming Beauty'. Perhaps you may wish to call him regarding the rims in Melbourne. He'll be able to steer you on the right path. If you like, mention my name and tell him that I, or we, should be down later this week - possibly sometime on Friday. Regards Styria

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you all for the wise words and the recommendations.

Styria,
Maybe we can go and visit Walter this Friday.

SEL_69L
Would you like me to organise the same design for your 6.9?
All I need is your wheels for a few days and Jerry will spin his magic :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel any chance off pics off these wheels please:D

Oversize

Grand Master
Just to give an answer to this thread, yes they will fit. However one should pay attention to the ratings on the tyre and the OD. For various reasons mentioned in other threads, the most suitable option for tyres in these sizes would be 235/45R18 front and 275/35R18 on the rear.

Obviously I'm on a mission to dispel any wheel/tyre issues at the moment!!! :D:D I still haven't determined the largest that will fit, but it's not so much of an issue now, as the only way to fit huge wheels and tyres on a W116 is with a negative wheel offset well outside ET30-ET11 and would therefore adversely affect the steering.