Wheels for w116

More threads by motec 6.9

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, you will talk about Carlsson wheels prices - this is what I spotted at the Mercedes dealership in Graz, Austria. Check the price - second hand !

P9230068-1.jpg

Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria yes Carlsson are very expensive wheels. i saw some 20 inch Carlssons wheels on a AMG SL55 last week on that little Island in the indian ocean that is always in the news believe it or not :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
The Carlsson wheels won't fit a W116 due to the offset & width.... The others are real nice, but too $$ for me!!! :(

Styria

The Godfather
There is no doubt that I do like them - as the seller implies, they are in 98% condition. I agree with Mark - they are quite pricey, and I do think that the exterior colour of your car will need to suit the high gloss black of the rims. I do know that rims like those can really 'make' a car, but the price would stop me - plus the thought of having to clean them'

I think the principle or idea of having 'body' coloured inserts, with high gloss chrome edges really appeals to me - I wonder what my Speedy wheels would look like with the centres painted, but display the chromed rim? Tempting, but then I think if I ever wanted to go back to the original appearance, the amount of work involved would be frightening. So I'll stick to what I've got. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria for some reason body colour wheels just don't seem to work. Yes I know Red Bull has red Pentas, but I bought her that way.....

I was really taken by the silver AMG 6.9 that sold in the US recently. The one with the black Pentas. So I'm toying with a specific gunmetal grey ATM and will look at refinishing all of my wheels with that (even the Bundts like Tony's)! And yes, I intend to polish and clear the outer rims. I've found that the current trend of grey over the whole wheel just makes em look dirty!!! Think the Holden Thunder series with the greyed out wheels....

http://www.holden.com.au/vehicles/ute#

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, I really do think that chromed or polished edges are a mandatory 'must' - you just need that shiny section to set off the rest of the wheel - as long as it is, say, attractive. Your Pentas lend themselves well to that treatment, as do the BBS rims which B13 used to have on his 6.9. Also don't forget, even the humble Bundt rim comes into its own with white walls or when they are chromed. Incidentally, in my opinion, and have any of you ever considered that, to look at, the Bundts are absolutely unique in their design ? To my mind, there are no other rims outthere that even remotely look like Bundts. Regards Styria

N.B. Just forget the ones that say....just as well.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Incidentally, in my opinion, and have any of you ever considered that, to look at, the Bundts are absolutely unique in their design ? To my mind, there are no other rims outthere that even remotely look like Bundts. Regards Styria

N.B. Just forget the ones that say....just as well.

Pity one can't get Bundts (at a reasonnable price) in 16 or 17 inch.

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, they only ever made Bundts in the standard 14" and the optional 15" that sell for an absolute premium. Normally, you'll get no change out of twelve to fifteen hundred dollars. I will need to find some pics to illustrate the difference between the two sizes. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Styria if you have a set of 5 15 inch bundts in that price range I will be around with cash before you can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. But they would have to be in that sort of condition.

Oversize

Grand Master
The best thing about the Bundts is that they're light as a feather and cheap (not the 15s)!!! But they don't look flash and it's getting difficult to find decent tyres. The looks can be enhanced through resurfacing and different finishes. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The best thing about the Bundts is that they're light as a feather and cheap (not the 15s)!!! But they don't look flash and it's getting difficult to find decent tyres. The looks can be enhanced through resurfacing and different finishes. :)

Try this option...

IMG_0684-wheel-1.jpg

RedRims.jpg

Oversize

Grand Master
Michel I think yours look great (when I'm wearing sunnies). Otherwise all I can see is red..... :D

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
Not a big fan of the original alloys myself , especially when they get brake dust on them. So today my mechanic tried to fit what I Thougt was a nice set of later series alloys with decent set 215 60 15 tyres. No luck , he had problems with front tyres coming in contact with tie rod ends. Pity as they were a good price and I wanted a slightly wider 215 instead of the 205 I have on my current 14" Bundt alloys

Frankly I prefer the colour coded hub caps on my Last 450sel
Though I have not seen any for sale for a while in the requisite red colour I need

What else fits ?
Pictures anyone ?

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi 450SEL1979 when looking for 15 inch wheels for a W116 you need the wheels from a W126 or W107 as they have a wheel an ET of 25 or less E class W124 wheels look the same but will foul on your suspension . Hope this helps i have 17 inch CSA VIP copies of AMG Hammers

Styria

The Godfather
Nothing to do with our 116s and 107s, but this has got to be one of the most ungainly and plain looking wheels on a beautiful CL500......

MikeNo2021.jpg

I spotted these on a bi-turbo S-Class. I tend to think that these are just about my favourite wheels - would they look alright on our cars ?

MikeNo2059.jpg

Same wheel, different lighting conditions.

MikeNo2063.jpg

Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Not a big fan of the original alloys myself , especially when they get brake dust on them. So today my mechanic tried to fit what I Thougt was a nice set of later series alloys with decent set 215 60 15 tyres. No luck , he had problems with front tyres coming in contact with tie rod ends. Pity as they were a good price and I wanted a slightly wider 215 instead of the 205 I have on my current 14" Bundt alloys

Frankly I prefer the colour coded hub caps on my Last 450sel
Though I have not seen any for sale for a while in the requisite red colour I need

What else fits ?
Pictures anyone ?

There's been quite a few threads on this topic. If you click on the search button and type in 'wheel offset' you'll find the answers....

From what I've gathered, W116 wheels should be between 14-18" in diameter, 6-8.5" wide, with an offset between ET11 and ET30.

You could probably fit 19-20" diameter wheels, but I haven't tested them yet. However tyres for these are expensive, the ride will be harsher and they'll be prone to damage.

The 6.9 wheels must be at least 6.5" wide.

With an offset of ET11, you might be able to fit wider wheels under the rear, but that hasn't been tested either.

Offsets below ET11 may cause havoc with your suspension and steering geometry.

Offsets above ET30 will do the same, plus it's highly likely they'll rub on the suspension and body.

Don't use spacers to allow fitment of wheels with offsets above ET30, as it may cause similar suspension problems, require longer wheel bolts (which can be overloaded), possible wheel bearing issues, plus they're illegal in some states.

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria I couldn't find a thread that featured Gleaming Beauty's wheels so I thought this one might suit to add further comments. Do you know the size and offset of your wheels? What about you Michel?