W116 - save what you can

More threads by charlottesbutler

charlottesbutler

Wrecking yards and sheep paddocks may not be fully approved sources of parts for a W116, but may I offer this? The cars I mentioned in my first post, on joining this forum, have yielded numerous small parts as well as intimate glimpses under their skins. Without harming my own car through inexperience, or cluttering my yard with junk, I have seen how handles, locks, dash, seats, seatbelts, vacuum systems, etc., are fitted and removed, and how they work. Logical, predictable Benz engineering is a pleasure, after some makes I have owned.

The various on-line manuals are very helpfully provided by generous enthusiasts, and much has been learned from them; but I still think better in 3D. A comparison would be the use of cadavers in anatomy lessons. Carving up a badly dinged or corroded, no longer serviceable part teaches a lot, and spares the owner pain and expense during what will be, at least for me, a fairly long learning curve.

The donor car was a W116 280S, and my first target was the lights at each corner. Always at risk from other parkers, these items offered some easy, cheap replacements for the sake of 2 hours interesting labour. It would have been less, but the boot was locked and keyless. The lid was badly perforated by salt and leaf mould, so no harm done by breaking in. Let's say it was a real battle, and draw a veil over how I did it; but our favourite marque builds a really tough car!

At length, I had access to the tail lights, which came out surprisingly quickly, each possessing its own flora and fauna after 3 years standing under a tree. Front lights were not hard to get at, and the indicators were a simple finger and thumb process, no force, just a lip to ease past and out. One lens had a small hole punched through, letting water in to corrode the reflector and bulb holder. Otherwise, all was worth taking home to play with. My own lights are in fine condition, but now I have spares, to keep the car roadworthy while new old, or replica parts are ordered. Handy, that, but let's by all means support those who still bother to supply the new stuff.

For the fun of it, I did a photo essay on a simple repair to the damaged lens, Why bother? Well, my generation remembers food rationing and, although mostly quite comfortably off, still saves string and wrapping paper. See these links if you are interested:

http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums...ens Recycle/?action=view&current=lensfix1.jpg

and 4 further pics.

The idea was to improvise an amber plug to seal up the lens, make it waterproof and, at a casual glance, roadworthy. Concourse? Not hardly, and it would pay me to read all the instructions on a tube of glue, for starters! Still, I hope this may entertain and help someone out there. Feedback is very welcome.

Cheerio,
Rod.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
All I can say is "good on you for trying"

hardly anone bothers nowsdays because of time constraints and the relative cheap availability of parts.

Tony66_au

LOL Sheep paddocks !

Im all for collecting these cars in whatever condition and this morning I put my hand up for 2 localish Benzes a mate had upside down in a gully on a property he just purchased.

he spoke to the old owner and they were paddock bashers his sons couldn't destroy that started out as fox chasers (Shooting rigs) and degenerated from there.

I haven't seen them but im assured that they are benz shaped and the old owners confirmed this and said they could be pulled out of the gully by a dozer or large tractor.

They also spent some time under water where they currently reside due to flood run-off.

My first thoughts were spare parts but I don't think that will be the case so my backup plan is 2 x 1980 kg of scrap metal once they are skull dragged from their graves.

But first im giving them a hose out and once over and as they are free the cost to me will be a morning of hard yakka.

Im also thinking of beginning a W123 collection!

Had a nice bloke drop in yesterday (With his family) with an ex Embassy 300SE (126) a little worse for wear because he noticed my Mercedes collection and I've had quite a few visitors purely because I've washed a car and had it parked outside leading to interesting chats and a helpful exchange of information (Usually from me to them) but it all keeps the marque alive.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
LOL Sheep paddocks !

Im all for collecting these cars in whatever condition and this morning I put my hand up for 2 localish Benzes a mate had upside down in a gully on a property he just purchased.

he spoke to the old owner and they were paddock bashers his sons couldn't destroy that started out as fox chasers (Shooting rigs) and degenerated from there.

I haven't seen them but im assured that they are benz shaped and the old owners confirmed this and said they could be pulled out of the gully by a dozer or large tractor.

They also spent some time under water where they currently reside due to flood run-off.

My first thoughts were spare parts but I don't think that will be the case so my backup plan is 2 x 1980 kg of scrap metal once they are skull dragged from their graves.

But first im giving them a hose out and once over and as they are free the cost to me will be a morning of hard yakka.

Im also thinking of beginning a W123 collection!

Had a nice bloke drop in yesterday (With his family) with an ex Embassy 300SE (126) a little worse for wear because he noticed my Mercedes collection and I've had quite a few visitors purely because I've washed a car and had it parked outside leading to interesting chats and a helpful exchange of information (Usually from me to them) but it all keeps the marque alive.

Vote for Tony: Prince of Gippsland! :D

Tony66_au

It just seems a shame when i have all this space...................

Went to hoik the car out this morning, seems there's a LARGE wasps nest in there somewhere, amazing how much noise those buggers make when they are angry.

So they get to stay there till the next flood

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It just seems a shame when i have all this space...................
Went to hoik the car out this morning, seems there's a LARGE wasps nest in there somewhere, amazing how much noise those buggers make when they are angry.
So they get to stay there till the next flood

Or until the next cold snap :p

BTW, I can handle the noise :rolleyes:
Its the bloody stings that I hate :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
it was pretty chilly this morning, about 8 degree's but obviously not cold enough.

The alternative is the wear long sleeves, gloves, a closed face hat (with a net) and hold two (large) cans of fly spray and go for them - eventually reaching the queen.
Once she's gone (dead) the others go away.

But don't be shy in giving them plenty of the stuff
( don't get the no-brand stuff it's useless)

Tony66_au

Ta Michel, I used to go to war with them at my old place and sorted the overpopulation where I am now using a slightly unorthodox approach involving C02 Extinguishers and Baygon but with the cars the access was difficult and it meant a trip home to scrounge up implements of war.

BTW Ive used the black can surface spray ALDI sell and it is as good as Baygon and 1/3rd the price.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
BTW Ive used the black can surface spray ALDI sell and it is as good as Baygon and 1/3rd the price.

Thanks for the tip on Aldi's product! :D

Styria

The Godfather
The alternative is the wear long sleeves, gloves, a closed face hat (with a net) and hold two (large) cans of fly spray and go for them - eventually reaching the queen.
Once she's gone (dead) the others go away.

But don't be shy in giving them plenty of the stuff
( don't get the no-brand stuff it's useless)

............just illustrates the influence women have over us poor male creatures..Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Hahahahaha! :D