used car trade in values

More threads by sean sherry

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Two observations:
1. The average age of registered vehicles in Australia is 10.1 years.
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/9309.0main+features131 Jan 2018
The average age of my cars is 38.6 years. (Ok - that is a bit wild on account of one of them being 86 years old.)
I have been offered double what the Peugeot has cost me but it's not for sale at the moment.
2. I have found the current Commodore to be an excellent car so yes, if the price is right, it would be a good buy as OS suggests.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian you are travelling well $$ wise. But the currant Opel Car with a Commodore Badge is destined to become an orphan. With Opel now gone who will support the Spare Parts supply ?? The makers in Poland ?:eek:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Two observations:
1. The average age of registered vehicles in Australia is 10.1 years.
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/9309.0main+features131 Jan 2018
The average age of my cars is 38.6 years. (Ok - that is a bit wild on account of one of them being 86 years old.)
I have been offered double what the Peugeot has cost me but it's not for sale at the moment.
2. I have found the current Commodore to be an excellent car so yes, if the price is right, it would be a good buy as OS suggests.
Regards,
Brian

Hmm, my average is around 44 years, with 1965 being the earliest and 1987 being the newest. Before I sold my traction it was 47...

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Moving on is down to me lacking the energy to even scratch myself as I have only 15 years to go to get a telegram from the Queen !!! Regrets ... yes I wish I had had somewhere to store my SL 107 280 and my 1500cc MGA. Both were better than the maker designed. Well the MG was , the last sports Car M G made.:)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Moving on is down to me lacking the energy to even scratch myself as I have only 15 years to go to get a telegram from the Queen !!! Regrets ... yes I wish I had had somewhere to store my SL 107 280 and my 1500cc MGA. Both were better than the maker designed. Well the MG was , the last sports Car M G made.:)

Might be time to invest in a small factory not too far from home :rolleyes:

abl567

Super Moderator
I've offered car storage at reasonable rates many times :cool:

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Patrick the 280 Sls were briefly available in the seventies with not many being sold. They were popular in Europe and in Hong Kong where mine came from. Ample performance with a first gear start 4 speed Auto. It was top of the line with detachable Hard Top .. Leather... Air Con ...Child seat .. etc.
Took 6 months to sell as everyone wanted a large lump of Iron in the form of a V8. Also it was Inka Red , a rare colour used for only one year. But it did not plough in corners with the much lighter straight DOHC straight six.:D

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Yes Patrick the 280 Sls were briefly available in the seventies with not many being sold. They were popular in Europe and in Hong Kong where mine came from. Ample performance with a first gear start 4 speed Auto. It was top of the line with detachable Hard Top .. Leather... Air Con ...Child seat .. etc.
Took 6 months to sell as everyone wanted a large lump of Iron in the form of a V8. Also it was Inka Red , a rare colour used for only one year. But it did not plough in corners with the much lighter straight DOHC straight six.:D

The M110 R/C107 was launched based on the fuel crisis of the early 70s. Introduced in 1974. The funny thing is that it wasn't really more economical, the advantage was the handling, and more of them were sold with a manual transmission.

We only got them officially here in australia for a few years in the 70s, but the 280SL was built through end of 1985, when it was replaced with the M103 300SL. The 280SLC went through end of SLC production. What most people don't know is that for a fairly low production model, the R107 280SL was available for more model years of 107 production than any other model. This is probably because it was never sold in the USA, and the USA accounts for something like 3/4 of R107 sales.

In total there were 25,436 280SLs and 10,666 280SLCs. They are not often seen in Australia because we only got them for a few years and people generally imported the high output versions like the 500SL as profits were higher importing such a car.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The M110 R/C107 was launched based on the fuel crisis of the early 70s. Introduced in 1974. The funny thing is that it wasn't really more economical, the advantage was the handling, and more of them were sold with a manual transmission.

We only got them officially here in australia for a few years.

A well known MB Club of NSW member has just purchased a lovely (taxi) yellow 280SL with manual transmission in LHD form.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I was keen on the new Ford Focus until I tested the VW 7.5 currant VW Golf today. A class act from the reverse Camera forward. Now drives beautifully with the upgraded 7 speed Dry Clutch Twin Clutch Auto. I was going to wait for the new Mk 8 ,but I can't see how it will be an improvement on the present Car. Cosmetics.. yes.. a new 1.5 Lt Engine with no increase in Power from the currant 1.4 Lt. The 1.4 has proved itself over many years. My previous two Golfs were bullet proof with not a single warranty issue . Both were 6 speed Manuals.
Australia will not be getting the new Engine anyway, as the petrol here is of a poor quality for a more modern European Engine. At $27 K on the road I don't need anything else. I will keep the C200 with 70,000Ks only. I have advertised the C250 with 82,000 Ks for $16,300 with full log Book Service Record and a years Registration. :)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
So much for the used Car Market, my C250 Avantgarde has a couple of dozen competitors on the net. some cheaper with low Ks If mine sells it sells ,if not .. not a problem. At least I will not drop 5 Grand driving the VW on to the street.

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, for some reasons or other, and I think it is the other, Mercedes Benzes, are not the star performer in the used car stakes. That also applies to Audi, Volvo and possibly the french brethren as well - whoa, I forgot Citroen and Fiat unless they are of the collectors' types. When you think about it, your common variety VW Beetle, or Mini or Morris Minor, will comfortably outsell any of the Benzes of the early eighties, late seventies etc. etc.

The problem has to be cost of spare parts, plus the cost of Mechanical Repairs, at the rate of at least $100.00 to $120.00 an hour. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Hi Michael, three or four years ago I inquired with Mercedes main Dealer ,the factory owned Dealership Sydney, as to their Hourly rate...... $197 ! Over $ 200 now ? mostly probably $250. Second owners usually don't have the luxury of these rates being Tax Deductible , so Mercedes are not interested in owners after 5 years. Even VW have suffered with my 2.5 year old Golf with 19,000 ks valued at $12000 as a Trade In.. Half new cost. Privately I got $14,500 even though it had the balance of the Factory Warranty. I had only two inquiries:eek: , one was a tire kicker.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Little wonder I have had not a single inquiry for My C Class 2011.. There are hundreds of Mercedes for sale on the Net. Fortunately it is a very good small kSs car and no hardship to just keep it, which i will do.;)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Money is cheap.......... New cars are cheap..... Low interest rates are here to stay for our life time. Central banks have dug a big hole for themselves and are digging deeper. Used Car values will not recover in this environment.
Putting a false floor under Share prices and House prices. Our Grand Kids will have to sort it :eek:out.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
One of our competitors, DAF Trucks, are now offering zero% finance rates and a full 3 years free servicing on there top of the range heavy duty truck.

That’s big money directly from the factory to local outlets.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Sign of the times Patrick. Australian Banks dropping ,dropping maybe some good Buys to be had whilst paying 6% plus with their Franking credits.