This Week's Test-Drive - Genesis GV70 EV

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This weeks's test-drive is the very quiet Genesis GV70 EV.

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpeg
    IMG_9695.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5

Styria

The Godfather
We have prided ourselves in keeping an open mind to all matters not only pertaining to cars, but also to your own personal, foibles, tribulations, belief and happiness. So Daka my boy, go for it - you can even talk about the Dakar (Daka sic.) Rallye. Unfortunately, my favourite manufacturers of KTM, Husqvarna and Gas Gas (all KRONPRINZ- TRUNKENPOLZ - and MATTIGHOFEN have all been upstaged by Honda 450 Dakar Rallye Specials. So there you are, my friend, you can talk to us about anything that happens in your life. Do you own a Goggomobil ? Just kidding. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I’ve not driven one, but I’ve sat in one, at a dealership, had a very good poke around, and this car would pretty much outclass anything in the same spec range, and would certainly outclass anything even in big dollar range regarding quality, features and fit and finish. It was quite jaw dropping to inspect.
We now just need Michels road test report 😍

Styria

The Godfather
I am not all that familiar with prices of new cars, but I would hazard a guess that the Germans would easily better the $100K. mark with many of their offerings. Mind you, unless I am mistaken, Michel's Hyundai (Palisade ?) comfortably pushes to $90K. or more - at those prices, they fall outside the "cheapies" range. I really think that the Koreans (Kia and Hyundai specifically) are really riding on the crest of a beautiful money wave. This has become more and more evident in the last eighteen months. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I am not all that familiar with prices of new cars, but I would hazard a guess that the Germans would easily better the $100K. mark with many of their offerings. Mind you, unless I am mistaken, Michel's Hyundai (Palisade ?) comfortably pushes to $90K. or more - at those prices, they fall outside the "cheapies" range. I really think that the Koreans (Kia and Hyundai specifically) are really riding on the crest of a beautiful money wave. This has become more and more evident in the last eighteen months. Regards Styria
You are spot on Styria.
We can thank Alan Bond for bringing Hyundai to Australia. First into WA, then the rest of the country, and of course their very top cream of the crop offering is Genesis.
Gone are the days of where Hyundai first started with cars, that were cheap and cheerful, and not made all that well this was the first car called Excel. These things sold quite well, but reputation caught up with them.
If I remember correctly, they started at $9,990.00 on road for the version 1, which was quite horrible and not very good in all aspects. Then V2 came along which was greatly improved in all of these previously bad aspects, and a much more modern, and non old fashioned boxy car. Again not 100% sure but these sold for $10,990.00 on road, then the final V3 came along, and this model sold in huge numbers, a superbly reliable and well built little car it seemed everyone bought one. I do remember these sold for $12,990.00 for manual and $13,990.00 for auto In 2 door format. I think they were $14,900.00 for a 4 door.
I‘m currently looking for a cheap car for a grand nephew, and these V3 cars still pop up for $5-7k.
Of course they charged ahead in quality and quickly surpassed any Japanese car in bang for buck and interior and what it offered.
I think Hyundai were the first to start offering huge free standard warranties capped price servicing etc , which proved how good they were. Funny though, Toyota was the last to offer longer warranties and capped price servicing.
Hyundai is quite an amazing company which of course owns Kia, which still seem to run completely as direct competitors, with only mechanical and underpinnings product sharing, the rest of the car ranges offered by them are still quite unique and both developed independently in house.
The Palisade is a stunning car, in all ways, congratulations Michel for owning one.

The very first Kia arrived here in the shape of two versions of Ford Fiesta.
These were such a good car, super reliable, durable and a huge hit for Ford, but not many people knew they were this unheard of Korean car called Kia.

This story has a lot of the current MG story about it we have discussed on other pages here.
IMG_0445.jpegIMG_0446.jpegIMG_0447.jpeg
Ford / Kia Festiva.
My sister still owns the very first model of the newer body shape shown below, which is now 25 years old.
IMG_0448.jpeg
IMG_0450.jpeg

Last edited: