Shannons auction 29th Sept

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
All good Michel. Still the Brougham is what interest me at the Auction as I love that model for no rational reason. :D

Rational or not... it's your desire ;)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I still miss the factory Black HT Brougham I sold it was Fiji High Commission car. :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I still miss the factory Black HT Brougham I sold it was Fiji High Commission car. :D
I bet...

We all have a car or two that we regret having sold. :eek:
I could name more than 10 or 20 :rolleyes:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have a few as well. Being a slow learner that causes a few problems. Being married twice means I must be a slow learner. :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys a few interesting cars coming up in Melbourne Auction and most have no reserve. For Styria a 1970 Rover P5B http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/F2B3766J24P3WB8F/#.VBK5urDSbIU

In all honesty, and I also maintain from a totally unbiased perspective, I do think that the Rover Coupes were a beautifully styled car - quite elegant looking, yet also a little sporting with those Rostyle steel rims, and the built in very special ( in their fitting) fog lights.

Somewhat unfortunate, British Leyland got heir hands on the P5B, neglecting the necessary engineering development to take account of the much lighter engine and drivetrain, resulting in a harsh and bouncy front end ride, and lacking directional stability on anything but the best of roads. Additionally, perhaps in keeping with some products of the late '60s and '70s (including Mercedes), bodies were inclined to rust, the thickness of metal used for the bodies became thinner, and under body rust proofing (on the P5B) became very marginal in application. In addition, the BW35 gearbox just could not cope with the weight of the cars. These are some of the reasons why I much prefer the six cylinder Coupe versions that the genuine Rover Company built between 1963 and 1965. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Styria what do you think of the Rover and expected sale price. :D

Geoff, I have commented upon the P5B Coupe for sale. The picture, the advertisement, underline my comments regarding Combis and others etc. etc. of similar ilk in the Newcastle thread - how could you even contemplate one of those when compared with the Rover, or of course, the Rolls Royce 2door, at the prices quoted. The word "quirky" comes to mind - it is one I just couldn't think of when I posted in the Newcastle thread. The price of $10K. Is utterly reasonable -you get a lot of car for your money. Incidentally, Shannon's Sales spiel is remarkably correct, and conveys all the right messages. Need to give them credit for that. Regards. StyrIa

Styria

The Godfather
I know my name is not Styria - but - with rust in the sill etc. the car is only a project. I despise rust!
Regards,
Brian

.......I didn't realize the car had a rust problem - just validates my thoughts on Rover P5 Coupe cars produced by Leyland. Regards. Styria

......that can now become quite an expensive car !

Last edited:
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I must confess the only Rover coupe I have driven was the 3 litre version so I cannot comment on the V8 version. And we are going back a very long time to when I drove the Rover. It was when I was working for Keir's of Canberra as a bus driver in the late 80's. :D

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Ok results are in . Rover P5B sold for $6500 . Citroen Light 15 $17500 . MGB $7500 .65 Thunderbird $9200 . 66 Kombi Camper LHD $74000 :eek: .56 220S Mercedes $5500 . 67 RR Park Ward 2 door $24500 . 68 Holden Brougham $17500 . http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/?id=current

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Like I said when Tim posted picture recently the price they are getting is absurd . They have gone over 200k US for early 21 window models. I have driven a few in my time and they were never a car that I enjoyed driving. So no but the stupidity of people paying that sort off money is good for a laugh if nothing else. :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Like I said when Tim posted picture recently the price they are getting is absurd . They have gone over 200k US for early 21 window models. I have driven a few in my time and they were never a car that I enjoyed driving. So no but the stupidity of people paying that sort off money is good for a laugh if nothing else. :D
I have to agree - some years back I went for a drive in a Kombi thinking it might be worthy buying to take the dogs to a dog show but Miss Olga refused to even piss on the wheels. It turned out to be like driving an egg carton with no power. In a front end smash one would hope to be killed outright rather than suffer the loss of both legs...:eek:
"Bloody horrible" is the summary I would give one.
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Just remember in a frontal crash the crumple zone usually stops at the front wheels. In a forward control van like a kombi or hi ace and similar you are the crumple zone as you are in front of the front wheels. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
in a forward control van like a kombi or hi ace and similar you are the crumple zone as you are in front of the front wheels. :eek:

ouchhhhhhhh :mad:

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And there is the reason I think people paying these ridiculous prices are idiots. :D

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son

Attachments

• 1976-mv-agusta-350-s-ipotesi-motorcycle.jpg
    1976-mv-agusta-350-s-ipotesi-motorcycle.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son