S111 E type Shannons

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
BEAUTIFUL

But I want my Parchment interior:rolleyes:

B13

Love the Series III e-type convertible. I'm MB through-and-through but I'd take one of these over a W107 350SL/4-speed manual or a 560SL any day.

Jaguar fans seeth when I give them my thoughts that the Series 1/2 was under-powered and ugly because many seem to see the S1/2 as perfect and the S3 as being too large/overweight and the engine too big... us 6.9 owners know there's no such thing as too large/overweight car with too big engine.

Perfection for me would be a 1973 S3 E-type with british racing green duco, black interior and 4-speed manual box.

I.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Love the Series III e-type convertible. I'm MB through-and-through but I'd take one of these over a W107 350SL/4-speed manual or a 560SL any day.

Jaguar fans seeth when I give them my thoughts that the Series 1/2 was under-powered and ugly because many seem to see the S1/2 as perfect and the S3 as being too large/overweight and the engine too big... us 6.9 owners know there's no such thing as too large/overweight car with too big engine.

Perfection for me would be a 1973 S3 E-type with british racing green duco, black interior and 4-speed manual box.

I.

I'm with you Ian...

Would your be a high roof coupe?
Or a 'no roof' ragtop?

Tony66_au

Jag guys are a touchy mob which was why after attending a handful of club outings I went it alone and basically attended their concourse day and didnt bother with membership, I wanted to do my car my way and had help from a serious old timer outside the club scene so I was pretty much ok.

I think that given a choice of cool Jags id pick a 1955 onward XK140 or later XK150 Coupe, very Jaggy and years ahead of its time.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Friend bought a white XJS Coupe white Jaguar a few months ago.

V12 motor blew up and Chev running gear has since been fitted.

Chev running car was fitted by previous owner.

Aren't the V12 Jag motors known to blow up correct?

A very tidy looking XJS it is a 1983 model from memory, Jag was purchased from the Hunter Valley from the original motor.

Current owner has invested money since purchasing the XJS are they a good car?

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
You're killing me Sir Geoff..... :eek:

Is he Sir Geoff now ? I was never consulted about this exalted rise in status ? I would have thought that he would have to earn his spurs. :D Anyway, come to think of it, TK is full of whatever - a Godfather (tickle me), a Professor (grumpy sod), the Prince of Oman or Arabia, an Ant from the bush at Wilberforce, and now a Sir - very impressive. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Is he Sir Geoff now ? I was never consulted about this exalted rise in status ? I would have thought that he would have to earn his spurs. :D Anyway, come to think of it, TK is full of whatever - a Godfather (tickle me), a Professor (grumpy sod), the Prince of Oman or Arabia, an Ant from the bush at Wilberforce, and now a Sir - very impressive. Regards Styria
Thank you Mr P.
You are too kind.:D

366-mustnt-grumble.png

And don't forget Lord Des - he is still with us.

Regards,
Grumpy Sod

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Ah yes Godfather...

Sir Geoff earned the title allright.

He is almost at Lord Des' level in having 50 posts in one day!

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Being rather Circular does that mean i am a member of the Round Table :eek: LOL

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria oh by the way this is post 23 for the day and i have passed 900 . Flying around for a couple of days starting Sunday :eek: i hope i have not worn out my welcome

Tony66_au

Timothy,

The 5.3 lt V12 is a very durable engine, I drive a 79 SII 5.3 for ages with a 6 cyl diff instead of the taller V12 Diff and there wasn't a day went by that I didn't launch the thing HARD and chase the needle to the red manual shifting the auto box.

They develop issues but mainly electrical and injection system.

Blowing up a V12 is unheard of unless you have done something silly and even then they just dont go boom.

Whoomph, clatter and chugga chugga yes but Bang no.

As for fitting a Chev engine?

Well you may as well buy a commodore as the alloy V12 weighs far less than an LS1 or similar and the installation of a cast iron lump upsets the handling and feel NO Exceptions.

Philistines!

And I've fitted a lot of SB Chevs to Non GM cars.

260ebenz

Master
Timothy,

The 5.3 lt V12 is a very durable engine, I drive a 79 SII 5.3 for ages with a 6 cyl diff instead of the taller V12 Diff and there wasn't a day went by that I didn't launch the thing HARD and chase the needle to the red manual shifting the auto box.

They develop issues but mainly electrical and injection system.

Blowing up a V12 is unheard of unless you have done something silly and even then they just dont go boom.

Whoomph, clatter and chugga chugga yes but Bang no.

As for fitting a Chev engine?

Well you may as well buy a commodore as the alloy V12 weighs far less than an LS1 or similar and the installation of a cast iron lump upsets the handling and feel NO Exceptions.

Philistines!

And I've fitted a lot of SB Chevs to Non GM cars.

Thanks for the info Tony.

Mates white Jag sure does look to be in original condition the white paintwork and caramel colour leather interior looks superb!

I have sat in the Jag and the Chev motor did have excellent acceleration.

Will find out more what actually happened to the original V12 Jag motor and report back.

Cheers.

Tony66_au

They go hard as anything with a SB Chev does but they don't feel the same and are not "Right".

A 5.3 replacement engine from a Jag wrecker isn't expensive either and a good "runner" that has been tested and has mileage history etc isnt much more than a few thousand dollars.

I bought a Cooked convertible XJS years ago and she sat in my garage for a few years before I decided I was not going to "Chev it" as to do the job properly was going to cost me 5 to 7k with A/C, engine senders, the kit and suspension mods so I called a few wreckers and 3 had 5.3's in stock with vehicle history, mileage etc and one even offered to start the unit (They had an Engine cell) and give me compressions etc.

$1800 long motor and hot tested while I watched, I asked about the timing chain and they offered to replace it for an added $300 using genuine parts if I was happy to hang about and wait (ALWAYS do the timing chain especially if the engine is out of the car as they are a tricky pain in the bum to do).

Good value and half the price of a transplant

Tony66_au

They go hard as anything with a SB Chev does but they don't feel the same and are not "Right".

A 5.3 replacement engine from a Jag wrecker isn't expensive either and a good "runner" that has been tested and has mileage history etc isnt much more than a few thousand dollars.

I bought a Cooked convertible XJS years ago and she sat in my garage for a few years before I decided I was not going to "Chev it" as to do the job properly was going to cost me 5 to 7k with A/C, engine senders, the kit and suspension mods so I called a few wreckers and 3 had 5.3's in stock with vehicle history, mileage etc and one even offered to start the unit (They had an Engine cell) and give me compressions etc.

$1800 long motor and hot tested while I watched, I asked about the timing chain and they offered to replace it for an added $300 using genuine parts if I was happy to hang about and wait (ALWAYS do the timing chain especially if the engine is out of the car as they are a tricky pain in the bum to do).

Good value and half the price of a transplant