More 6.9 cleaning

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have already referred to some of the cleaning processes when carrying out a valve grind and de-coke. Whatsmore, I have referred to a 12 hour time frame (approximate) required to remove both heads. It should be borne in mind, that the time quoted does not include the cleaning procedure advocated. One can easily spend another three hours on that - not that I ever really time myself.

There is another factor often overlooked, and that I have not yet talked about. It includes the dismantling and cleaning of auxiliary engine components once they have been removed from the engine, items such as exhaust and inlet manifolds, and a host of other gear. For example....

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69005.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69006.jpg

These are just some of the various bits and bobs that needed cleaning, wirebrushing, dismantling etc. etc.
ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69004.jpg

You can easily spend a day or two getting all that stuff to your satisfaction - cleaning, painting etc. - it can be never ending.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69002.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69003.jpg

All in all, a sizeable job - I guess it depends how good you want this work to turn out - on both function and astethic bases. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks BenzBoy. I admit to being quite suprised, and a little taken aback, at the amount of cleaning that had to be carried out. That engine had always looked 'pretty good' up on top, but once you got into the nitty gritty, things took on a different perspective.

Anyway, most of the stuff's been cleaned and painted, the heads are with the Engineering Shop, and I also passed onto them the lower half of the inlet manifold for cleaning purposes. There was no way I could have done a satisfactory job on that. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And that is how I ended up spending 3 weeks cleaning and polishing the motor on the Spirit. I did have the fuel head taken off and sent to Bosch for checking and they did a sonic clean on it while it was there so that helped. I then coated it with Swissvax Motor Shine and it is still perfect 12 months later without any further cleaning. One of my little helpers is an Electrolux steam cleaner - it moves all the grease from an inaccessible point to a place where I can wipe it off. And of coures, the old stand-by; kerosene.
There must come a point where one says "ENOUGH!!!".
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

TJ 450

With engines, I'm of the opinion that you can never do too much cleaning. There's always something that could be done better, that's where compromises come into play.

Tim

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Tell me, TJ 450, have you in fact removed the heads from your 6.9 as well ? If so, anything in particular that you have found, and also at what stage are you in putting things back together again ? If available, I would love to see some pics on topklasse.

Also interested to see just where you are with your car and the time frame you may be up against before it is back on the road ?

What about paintwork and interior ? Are they up to scratch or do you need to carry out a lot of work ? Lots of questions, but I am interested. Regards Styria

TJ 450

Hi Styria,

I haven't removed the heads, although they could be removed soon if I decide they need to be. Now would be the time to do it, as I have removed everything else including the brake booster and exhaust manifolds for other reasons (refurbishment).

I have reason to believe that someone has "bodged" the LH cylinder head at some point, as there is a mismatch of bolts, some with slightly rounded-out heads and that missing spacer. Having said that, the engine did run near perfectly and compression readings were great. Unless I discover anything untoward, I'll probably just retighten the bolts and install a spacer.
Speaking of which, I would be delighted to take up that offer of yours.

As far as the progress of my car is concerned, I'm in the process of rebuilding the transmission as well as re-bushing the rear suspension. I have removed the subrame and it has been powder coated.
In theory, it should be running and registered in a few months time.

Progress has stalled for a bit, as I encountered an unexpected problem with the transmission. That is that the needle bearing between the front and intermediate shafts had self-destructed, chewing out the running surface on both shafts. In this case, the respective parts out of a standard 450 trans will fit and run. However, they are considerably under-engineered in comparison the the units from the 6.9s version of the trans.

So, I have the option of finding a good used 6.9 trans to source the parts, or having the existing units built up and machined. That's where it's at, at present.

Condition-wise, I'm happy with the condition of the interior. I fitted blue MB-Tex seats out of a 280SE, that are in as-new condition. I know it's not the same as leather, but I find it far more practical.

The paintwork has polished up quite well, but it will certainly need a proper respray. It is a very solid car with little rust and I have checked every nook and cranny.

I'll post some pics as soon as I compile them.

Regards,

Tim

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi TJ450, thanks for the update - I was aware that you were having some sort of problems with the box as I do occasionally visit the 116 site as a guest. The spacer, or equivalent thereof, I would only be too happy to send to you. Just let me have your postal address again as I did not keep it when I sent you those suspension parts a little while ago.

As far as that spacer is concerned, I am certain it is only on the left hand head - I will double check as soon as practicable. Are you able to confirm this ? I am still scratching my head trying to work out why MB never fitted a shorter bolt.

BTW, if you have head bolts with worn Allen heads, try and replace them now - any weakness or possible cause for frustration as far as head bolt removal is concerned is better addressed now rather than later on. Access is very limited once components are bolted back in again. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a few more close up pics of camshaft positions. Not that it matters that much, but I have placed nylon ties in positions relative tp where the camshaft chain wheels have to be refitted. Also, last but not least, a pic. of Geleaming Beauty's engine bay - I have thrown it in just for well....whatever.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69024.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69025.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69026.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69027.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69028.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69029.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69030.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69031.jpg

Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As I've said, the amount of time involved in proper cleaning and dismantling was quite substantial. Three pics to illustrate the finished product other than the heads that are with the Engineering Shop, and the exhaust manifolds that I just had no room for when I transported all the stuff home prior to the Easter break - obviously, there were other parts as well, and a host of tools and sundry parts, and there was nothing else that could be fitted into the boot and back seat.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69033.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69032.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69034.jpg

The pictures may not tell the full story, but anyone that has actually been involved in the removal and replacement of heads on a 6.9 and the cleaning involved, will understand the extent of time it takes. I am on my second time around with the huge help of Mercules on Gleaming Beauty (the first job) so I can speak with some knowledge on the subject matter. Regards Styria