Glass cleaning

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
New screen seems impossible to clean ...:confused: Small white Dots all over. Claying has improved them. Then cleaning with "Invisible Glass" doesn't leave screen streak and smudge free. Looks ok until the sunlight hits it. ??????

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
New screen seems impossible to clean ...:confused: Small white Dots all over. Claying has improved them. Then cleaning with "Invisible Glass" doesn't leave screen streak and smudge free. Looks ok until the sunlight hits it. ??????

face-palm.jpg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
If you can’t get it clean, Just bring me the car Sean, and I will clean it for you.

Or try metho & window cleaner mixed together use more metho than window cleaner say 70/30

Last edited:
OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Patrick, I now believe that the answer is Metho. The cause may well be the protective covering residue on a new Screen. I had a similar problem on my new VW Golf a few years ago. I don't remember how I sorted that.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
The small dots are most probably hard silicate material, stuck very securely to the glass.
Loose dirt needs to be removed first, then oily films.

1. Rinse the windscreen with water.
2. Scrub the windscreen thoroughly with an old pot scourer, using a strong mixture of car shampoo and water.
3. Scrape the windscreen with NEW razor blade installed in a paint scarper.
4. Clean with a commercial glass cleaner.

In most cases, oily films on the inside of the glass can be removed a commercial glass cleaner and large paper towel.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
We clay our screens everytime we wash our cars.
Huge difference.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well yes, the installer said to bring it to him if I ever wanted the Glass cleaned, at the time of fitting. I think i have got rid of the white dots with Claying and elbow grease.:)

260ebenz

Master
Hello Sean I have had the same problem with the new windscreen in the C220 would you believe?

After speaking to Novus Autoglass and they came back out to my house only yesterday and Tim from Novus did say to use Rain-X to clean the screen and to apply two coats of the Rain-X.

Two coats of Rain-X no more white dots or smearing is visible on the screen!

There is noticeable water beading on the screen which is a sign the screen has been cleaned with Rain-X.

Novus did say to regularly keep applying the Rain-X.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Good to hear that I'm not alone with this issue. I will apply Rain X.
Clean first with Metho mixed with water in a spray bottle. I was starting to think that it was the Micro Cloths I was using. I had an issue a few weeks ago with a greasy screen .. looked ok until water was on it. It was the wiper Blade , a new genuine Bosch Blade fixed the problem.:)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I have learned that to wash a Micro Cloth..Hand Wash:D.. mild detergent ..rinse well and Air Dry only ...... no heat.