Glass Technology

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You may recall I asked about recommendations for someone to polish a very deep scratch out of my diriver's side window of the SSII. Well, the job was done by Glass Technology (google them) who has operators in various areas.
I don't know the name of the actual operator as it was arranged by Sam Movizio. The end result is brilliant and, although, some may argue that at $330 it was expensive, it is still far cheaper than dismantling the entire door and window assembly. and then replacing the Sundym glass.
The scratch was deep and ran in several lines across the glass along the entire vertical plane. If I look very carefully I can see that work has been done but really one needs a magnifying glass to pick it. I am very pleased with the result - and very satisfied by the work Sam has done to eradicate a number of scratches on the car. The end result is quite exciting.:D
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
BenzBoy any chance of seeing the end results?

I would be quite interested to see the results as I am sure anyone else here would.

Cheers Slim.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
BenzBoy any chance of seeing the end results?

I would be quite interested to see the results as I am sure anyone else here would.

Cheers Slim.
Tim - that would work if I had a "before" picture so you could see the original scratch - but alas, I don't. Thus, all you would get now is a picture of clear glass...not very exciting or informative. I should have taken a photo before the job was done...
Regards,
Brian

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I got rid of a metre long arc wiper scratch from the front windscreen of SEL 69L.

It took about 4 hours of elbow grease and about 30 grammes of 10,000 grade CERIUM OXIDE to do. You need lots of patience and your favourite radio station tuned in to relive the boredom while the job seems to proceed so slowly. I left a tiny length of the scratch behind to show how the job was done. NEVER use an electric powered buffer, unless it is water cooled. You will crack the glass with localised heating. I obtained the cutting compound from Naxos Chemicals. I made a lot of mess on the car and myself, which was fairly easy to clean up.

The bill for $300 would seem about right if you pay the guy to do the job for you. He uses a water cooled buffing machine with a 4" disc. I have seen him at work on some of our cars before they were delivered to the customer.

I know of a W107 and a W126 that had deep vertical scratches in the side sliding glasses. In each case, I told the owners that the cause of the scratching must first be removed, before the scratch can be dealt with. I each of these cases the problem was caused, courtesy of Mecedes Benz, by piece of metal embedded in the sealing rubber along the bottom edge of the glass. I don't know if the scratches are still there in these cars; I have lost contact with the owners.

I can find the name of the guy who will do the work for you, if anyone is interested.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I agree with BenzBoy on the use of that man, especialy on the side glass.

However, on a W116 or other early Benzes, it would certainly be better value to replace the screen, epecially if your insurance policy covers you for a windscren replacement every year.

Styria

The Godfather
I guess BenzBoy must be referring to his Rolls Royce Phantom (SSII) ? If indeed that is the car he refers to, a spare glass/screen would come at a premium, or be unavailable at all. Or, indeed, is he referring to the Silver Spirit (?) - whichever, the supply would be pricey. With our 116s, glass is freely available, whether that'd be the side glass or, for that matter, a readily available front screen as advocated by Michel.

Speaking of side glass, I have genuine heat resistant 6.9 side glass available, for both sides, for $150.00. This amount includes the Bailey channelling as well. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I guess BenzBoy must be referring to his Rolls Royce Phantom (SSII) ? If indeed that is the car he refers to, a spare glass/screen would come at a premium, or be unavailable at all. Or, indeed, is he referring to the Silver Spirit (?) - whichever, the supply would be pricey. With our 116s, glass is freely available, whether that'd be the side glass or, for that matter, a readily available front screen as advocated by Michel.

Speaking of side glass, I have genuine heat resistant 6.9 side glass available, for both sides, for $150.00. This amount includes the Bailey channelling as well. Regards Styria

I am referring to the Spirit II. A replacement glass is available but not within the timeframe before the next Concours - and not as cheaply as for a W116. Glass for the PII is as easy as calling Ralph Moore as it is all flat glass and can be cut to shape.
Regards,
Brian