More variations on a theme

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just breaking up the thread a bit for easier viewing - sorry, but very little, if anything on 107's or 116's. I like the next one - you be the judge.

mbhistoric_w116coupe.jpg

Yes, it is a 116 Coupe - it probably never saw the light of day. I am not sure, so perhaps someone else may be able to enlighten us.

I really like the looks of this Finnie - somewhat more graceful, in my view, than the Crayford conversions.
mbhistoric_w111sb.jpg

Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Love the coupe and the wagon....:p
Don't you hate it when the designers come up with such beautiful shapes and some bean counter says "Nein"..... :(

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Love the coupe and the wagon....:p
Don't you hate it when the designers come up with such beautiful shapes and some bean counter says "Nein"..... :(

Jawohl, mein Herr ! Steiermark

Martin280s

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Martin, I just knew that somebody would end my dream - but, it was nice whilst it lasted. However, no one, but no one is going to spoil the next lot because.....because I know they're for real.......:D

I spotted this Pullman right at Berchtesgaden on the way to the Koenigsee - as an aside, if anyone ever has the chance to visit that area, go ahead and don't miss it. The scenery is breathtaking. Well, this is the car...

MikeNo3272.jpg

...what a handsome beast - so to speak. Arthur Love from the M100 Club reckons it must belong to a chap called Konrad..well, if it is him, you"d have to say that money mustn't be an issue because it is not your typical European Diesel Econobox. Anyway, this is the area I'm talking about...

MikeNo3278.jpg

Obviously unrestored, but when in this condition, you don't touch them, do you....

MikeNo3273.jpg

MikeNo3275.jpg

MikeNo3276.jpg

....and that is the back of it - ah well (!), what else would it be :eek: .....

MikeNo3274.jpg

MikeNo3274.jpg.....

and here is its very much alive brother - it is one of two built by Mercedes Benz for Dr. Fritz Nallinger and it resides in the MB Museum.....

mbhistoric_w100c.jpg

It just has to be one of the most handsome, or prettiest cars, I have ever seen - unfortunately, not in the flesh. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I love the Pullman....and the sedan

But I am afraid the convertible (in this case only cos I luuuurve convertibles) doesn't do it for me...

A Corniche is next on my shopping list...

Rolls-Royce-Corniche-II-Converti-1.jpg

Martin280s

Styria,
You know I'm not a great fan of restoration jobs. I much prefer to see a car which has aged gracefully than one which has had a ground up rebuild. That Pullmann (I believe it should have two Ns unlike the railway carriage) is a good example of the thinks I enjoy seeing. :D

Some restorers go over-the-top and make the car better than original and in my honest opinion, render the car worthless.

My Lady Genevieve has some signs of age and a few spots of rust to be dealt with... mainly on the door skirts and programmed for mid-October... but on the whole she is as she was built, just a few years older. :)

P.S: Did you receive the PM I sent you?

G

GreaseMonkey

Photoshop or not, I love the w116 coupe. And yes the original Universal Finnie wagons were just right. Where can I get one?
Chris

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Photoshop or not, I love the w116 coupe. And yes the original Universal Finnie wagons were just right. Where can I get one?
Chris
Hi Grease Monkey, obviously I cannot be certain, but I suspect that the Finnie Station Wagon may well be the 'real McCoy'. I say this because the 600 Convertible was, in fact, built for Nallinger, then one of the MB directors and if you have a look at the caption or writing underneath the pics of the two cars, it is in fact the same.

Michel - that Corniche is quite magnificent but, in this instance, the 600 Cabriolet would get my vote.

If there is any car more imposing than a Roller, it is certainly the 600 - I do not think for one moment that they 'give' in any way to the Roller of their periods, i.e. 1963 - 1981.

Martin 280S - I tend to agree with you only to a certain extent. I do know what you mean by 'over-restoration', and whilst the die hards will refer to the 'right patina' when assessing an old, or older car, I do think there is a difference between being 'old with the right patina' or just being totally over the hill condition wise. The Pulmann (spelled correctly ?) certainly had the right patina - it was in fact in marvellous condition. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, I spotted these at the Mercedes Dealership in Graz, Austria. Not this trip, but the one I undertook three years ago. We're talking at another somewhat special 600 Grosser...

P9230055.jpg

P9230058.jpg

I guess there isa nothing special about the exterior, but have a look at the interior - unfortunately, windows were closed...

P9230056.jpg

P9230057.jpg

The interior has obviously been re-trimmed judging by the dark piping on the seats, plus take note of the TV screen and the hidden DVD facilities in the headrests. A bit of money tied up in this baby, but a very impressive car indeed - I still think that they should have fitted the 6.9 to the later models - for some reason, MB perservered with the 6.3 engine. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
At the same dealership, I also spotted this beautiful 300 Coupe dating back to the sixties....
P9230050.jpg

P9230049.jpg

This car was very much down on its haunches - a not unusual sight for the air suspended models with levelling valve problems although, in fairness, I have no idea how long it had been parked in the bay.

Mind you, the stupid so and so that I am, I asked if I could speak to the Service Manager so that I could clue him up....hmmm...there is one born everyday..well. I thought I would help and I was ready to don a pair of overalls just in case they needed help. Needless to say, three years later the car had moved on.

This car was also in superb condition otherwise - again, the words heritage and tradition come to mind.......

Perhaps the "Disabled" sign provides the appropriate clue - also note the single exit exhaust pipe...

P9230051.jpg

Last edited: