Leather Woes

More threads by E200K

OP
E200K

E200K

Indeed it is Mr S. He seems reluctant to tell us more. Maybe that spot was caused by other nefarious activities? :eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Nefarious activities? Me, sir? I'll have you know that my little brown stain is of the unadulterated type.

That said, I'm back from a trip to Fiji so it's time to get it removed.

OP
E200K

E200K

Right, finally got around to fixing it.

Applied a small amount of Leatherique Prepping Agent and once dry sanded the spot gently. Then applied some Leatherique Custom Colour Dye with a cloth, just dabbing a very small amount of dye onto the leather. I then repeated the dye application each day and 4 days later.... hey-presto, mark is gone. Almost. The matching of the dye colour to my leather (from a headrest I left with the guys at Permanent Painted Coatings) is so close you can hardly see the difference. The trouble is that because I know where the mark was, I instinctively look straight at it when I open the door. All said and done I'm still quite pleased with the result.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Right, finally got around to fixing it.

Applied a small amount of Leatherique Prepping Agent and once dry sanded the spot gently. Then applied some Leatherique Custom Colour Dye with a cloth, just dabbing a very small amount of dye onto the leather. I then repeated the dye application each day and 4 days later.... hey-presto, mark is gone. Almost. The matching of the dye colour to my leather (from a headrest I left with the guys at Permanent Painted Coatings) is so close you can hardly see the difference. The trouble is that because I know where the mark was, I instinctively look straight at it when I open the door. All said and done I'm still quite pleased with the result.

Good work!! Maybe you will feel inclined to give all your seats the once over now? Concours here comes E200K?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
E200K

E200K

Good work!! Maybe you will feel inclined to give all your seats the once over now? Concours here comes E200K?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Still not sure about entering the 126 into the MBCNSW Concours. It's a bit of a work in progress and I was hoping to be finished in time for the Concours but it looks like time will beat me. I'm quite happy with the paintwork and the interior & boot are ok, but I'm not going to have time to get the engine bay up to a decent standard nor get the wheels as I'd like them.

I've actually wasted a lot of time by becoming snow-blind. Rather than get all the car to a decent standard I've allowed myself to get bogged down into trying to get a particular part to look perfect.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Still not sure about entering the 126 into the MBCNSW Concours. It's a bit of a work in progress and I was hoping to be finished in time for the Concours but it looks like time will beat me. I'm quite happy with the paintwork and the interior & boot are ok, but I'm not going to have time to get the engine bay up to a decent standard nor get the wheels as I'd like them.

I've actually wasted a lot of time by becoming snow-blind. Rather than get all the car to a decent standard I've allowed myself to get bogged down into trying to get a particular part to look perfect.
I know what you mean. It took me 3 weeks worth of evening work to get the Spirit engine bay up to scratch but I have not had to touch it for a year...well, there is always 2010.
Maybe just enter and see what happens?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

John S

There is always the display class, or even the 'Road Class' which is for daily drivers so neither the engine bay nor underneath the car is checked. Come along and enjoy the day.

OP
E200K

E200K

There is always the display class, or even the 'Road Class' which is for daily drivers so neither the engine bay nor underneath the car is checked. Come along and enjoy the day.

I'll definitely be there but I might have to dust off the W210 and enter that.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi E200K, in my opinion, you're pretty hard on yourself, aren't you. I think the standard you're aiming for is extremely high and meritorious (now there is a word) and I'd reckon that your 300SE will do extremely well.

Getting back to your leather woes, I am sure it must give you no end of satisfaction to carry out the job to your liking. Nothing like self-satisfaction. Regards Styria

OP
E200K

E200K

Hi E200K, in my opinion, you're pretty hard on yourself, aren't you. I think the standard you're aiming for is extremely high and meritorious (now there is a word) and I'd reckon that your 300SE will do extremely well.

Getting back to your leather woes, I am sure it must give you no end of satisfaction to carry out the job to your liking. Nothing like self-satisfaction. Regards Styria

I'm sure a pro would have done a better job on the leather but at the end of the day you're right, there is more self-satisfaction in doing it yourself. It's also a question of econometrics (there's another word for you).