AUDI A7 3.0 litre TDI

More threads by Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
What year is your benzboy estate Brian

BenzBoy

Grand Master
2015 Motec.
Handbook instructions advise a 30 minute highway run every 2 months. The alternative is the dealer runs a special programme to burn off rubbish from the particulate filter.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes that was what I was getting at if they clog up its a very big job cleaning I saw a few while working at a Mercedes repair business . PS a catch can may help . The problem seems to be since PDF introduction that Diesels really don't like prolonged city driving

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It's a very good reason for an Italian Tune-up. However, spining out to 4000 rpm could not be called Italian.... more like a granny-run!
Yes, Patrick, I believe you could be correct about another diesel in the family. More to come when it arrives.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes when they clog up which seems to be most off them doing school runs and nothing more the cost is literally eye watering to repair. To the point you may even question if they charged you for a new engine in repair bill

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Any diesel that also runs DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid] or what we more commonly know as AdBlue have this issue reduced by around 90%.

Vehicles running EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) only, were designed to not need the “new tech” or cost of AdBlue due to the fact they run a lower pressure diesel diesel injection system.
This produced very low levels of Nitrous Oxide (which AdBlue was designed to combat) however produce high levels of soot (unburnt fuel and burnt fuel sediment due to a poor combustion or flame front propagation)
This is what clogs up DPF’s very quickly without maintenance or upkeep or the good drive as Brian describes.
This is the main issue as you are describing Motec.
You are exactly correct in saying that the “school run” destroys these, however the simple good drive once a month will eliminate this.

Vehicles running a DPF (and/or EGR) that run AdBlue run an extreme high pressure common rail plus unit type injection system thus produce very little soot, so not so detrimental to the DPF, but they produce extremely high levels of Nitrous Oxides.
AdBlue treats this immediately as an “after (combustion) treatment” so the very first vehicles to be rated Euro 6 were AdBlue type systems.
These systems are quite reliable and only bad or contaminated AdBlue will cause them to fail.

This system will benefit from regular open road longer drives once a month or two, but it is not as detrimental as the straight EGR & DPF systems are.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes Patrick I'm aware off AdBlue mostly fixing issue but most diesel vehicles until latest round off euro compliance don't run the systems . Mostly Euro 6 compliant Diesels and almost all after September 2015 in passenger vehicles from Europe . Off course the world is now running short off AdBlue and talk is it may be restricted in sales to keep it for heavy transport . Next question is does your new car run AdBlue I'm guessing not with suggestion to highway drive. Also i think we can count on you doing this . Which Patrick will agree almost no one who owns one actually does . I mean even going to a service station is a challenge for some owners sadly .

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Hahaha,
Yes you are spot on, car owners are certainly de evolving to the point they don’t even know where to put fuel in some cases, as they always have someone else to do it.

I’ve been asked on many an occasion to go to our local Men’s Shed to put together basic “how to” on cars.
I’m stunned at how some people don’t even know how to open their bonnet or check/add air to their tyres.

In regards to AdBlue, some cars have a non serviceable cartridge that is designed to last the length of the service interval, so the customer only ever sees a DEF charge on their service bill.

It’s all very interesting that’s for sure.

By belief is that by making cars more simple, they have certainly made them more difficult.

Modern owners manuals don’t even show the new owner basic checks or serviceable (by them) items.

My 1925 Chevrolet owners manual tells you how to remove the head and do a valve decoke.

How times have changed.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes 60 or so years ago owners manuals told you how to adjust the valves . Todays tell you not to drink the battery fluid

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Believe it or not seen it in a few my KIA owners manual has a few US style warnings like that . Beggars belief it really does