AUDI A7 3.0 litre TDI

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
A few months ago, I spotted that very same model, except for being a Quattro Diesel, in a Car Yard at Blacktown. You couldn't help but be impressed by the specifications, that promised fantastic road holding with quattro drive, outstanding economy and a beautiful interior. It was somewhat expensive at $22K., but it was a lot of car for the money, being of 2011 vintage, with an initial sticker price when new somewhere near the $80K. to 90K. Exact details escape me. I sort of figured that 20 years ago that was me wanting to buy.
In the meantime, I spotted that very same model, but not the same car obviously, at my local Garage, where it had been sitting for weeks waiting for some "engine" parts to arrive, much to the frustration of both Mechanic and the owner of the car. So when I found this video, I opened it with more than passing interest, as I particularly appreciate videos of a mechanical nature, rather than one of opening and closing doors, and revving cars at a standstill. Quite boring in its own way.

This video is in a language foreign to me, but I suspect Polish/Russian, but the language is not that important. Dismantling and replacement procedures are well documented and illustrated at most times, and it is a revelation to see the amount of work and mechanical skill required to attend to issues such as timing chains and gears etc. etc. It is patently clear that this is a beautifully designed and assembled engine, but the complexity is daunting, but it bothers me that we are witnessing a single row timing chain that appears to be located at the back of the engine - next to the firewall. Needlessly to say, rectification requires removal of engine from the car, and many hours of remedial work. I have come away from watching the video that I would never be able to afford the cost of maintaining a car such as this one, notwithstanding the fact that from a driver's point of view it would be sensational. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Painfully it reminds me of the 2011 A3 convertible we owned.

A beautiful car that proved to be a total shit box after 5 years.
That’s why we see great Audi’s at bargain basement prices.

They should be dismantled at the 10 year mark and recycled.
Not as spare parts but as proper recycling, crushed and the materials made into something else.

I quickly advise anyone not to buy one if it is over 5 years old or 100k on the clock.

Biggest piece of garbage I have come across.

A real shame considering the glorious days of probably the best racing car and heritage ever.
Autounion.
18A6C419-F2C0-4BEE-8319-F1CAB7591A21.jpeg18A6C419-F2C0-4BEE-8319-F1CAB7591A21.jpegC034A0BC-DDFA-4F51-ADD4-D7FAF81F0C3C.jpeg

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Patrick, was that the car that you owned during the last eighteen or so months ? If I remember correctly, there was an Audi that appeared on TK at some stage. Speaking of "unreliability", I tend to think that Volkswagens could be included in that category, as well as BMW and the Ford Focus/Fiesta range, and should I say it, even the Mercedes range. I have on my PC a feature or App. called Quora and the pastings that are handed out to BMW really makes one avoid an older BMW. Very expensive to maintain, but my Mechanic "down the road" has ventured to suggest that "if you think BMWs are expensive, try Subaru".

My partner maintains that anyone can purchase a Benz, but will they have the money to maintain them properly. Mind you, a lot of those sentiments can probably be applied right down along the line - with hardly any exceptions. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria,
Yes it was the one that appeared here.

It had just over 100k on the clock and it would consume a whole sump of oil down the the add line (4 litres) in around 350km, however blow no smoke at all.

It would also just do the weirdest things, for no reason.
All Audi’s I have been involved with are the same.
I’ve never seen one without issues.

My saying to anyone wanting to buy a second hand car is——-
“Japanese or Korean, never European”

This includes all of the other shit boxes made in Europe
Focus
Fiesta
Last Commodore
Etc etc
Anything that comes from Europe with over 100k on the clock is something young people should steer away from.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I live in small and tightly held street where almost everyone knows their neighbours. Our neighbours seperatley own an A3, A6 and Q5 which were purchased new and serviced regularly. The A6 has done nearly 300,000 ks and is still a highly desirable example. None has had any issues. We used to own an S2 which had no issues until it met its death courtesy of a trailer with no lights.
Patrick, are you sure your A3 was not a Jaguar in disguise? That is, simply marking its spot? It is hard to otherwise explain such oil loss.
Our other neigbours each own a 3 series, 5 series and 7 series BMW and the story is the same. Each one is serviced on schedule and none has an issue.
I can judge only on what I see.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, and yours are perfectly valid observations. I looked at a 2015 4008 Peugeot SUV only just yesterday showing about 150K. kilometers and I reckon the oil hadn't been changed for God only knows how long ......it was that black. In contrast, with my Holden Captiva where the oil is changed every six months, the appearance of the oil is almost like from "straight out from the bottle" and the engine is super quiet. V6 - 3.2 litre Holden engine.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Regular oil changes have to be good. I know a fully synthetic oil may not deteriorate with age the same way as a purely mineral oil but after 12 months oil must contain a lot of contaminents that need to be removed. Also, the 3.2 litre engine was probably one of the world's best designed engines so that is a good start.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Brian,
Perfectly valid points.

I should have added in my post that the car I was referring have probably been passed through many hands, and had not seen OEM dealer servicing probably after 6 months of its life.

Properly maintained Europeans are of course good examples for sure.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Patrick, where did you go wrong with the Audi ? From reading your posts since you joined, it always struck me that you are a man of significant knowledge and guile who'd be right at home in picking good from bad, or vice versa. Were you perhaps fooled by the cute appearance of the car, or had it been prepared for sale in keeping with your standards of preparation ? Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria,
This was a very well cared for and serviced car, (by a local mechanic not Audi) one owner and just near me in the Blue Mountains.
Under the car, inside and under the bonnet were like new.
Of course the owner said nothing regarding any “issues”

The oil issue was completely unknown to me as I did not read or research anything about these 1.8TFSI engines.
It, and it’s non turbo VW variant were probably the most prolifically made engines in the VW group.
The non turbo engines were not effected.
When inspected, oil was clean as a whistle, inside the rocker cover was gleaming, and it blew zero smoke no matter how I drove it.

It was only when drilling down into engine groups via engine numbers and year of manufacture (2010-2011) that this issue came to light.
The forums I found were quite detailed in their findings.

These same year cars had electrical issues that would cause the dual clutch transmission to do weird things from time to time.
This was being addressed by a recall by Audi when I was in the process of selling the car.

Audi did tell me that the oil issue was common, and that if the car had of been serviced at Audi the issue would have been picked up and full piston and liner rebuilds were common.

It has changed how I look at European cars, and that when anyone intends to by a car that is around 10 years old and over 100k on the clock, good research is recommended before purchase.

Lastly, yes my wife also fell in love with the cute car, with a deep blue exterior and cream leather, it’s our combo of choice.

First time I have ever been caught out, but a good lesson learned.

The 2005 Mini convertible was a far better car in all aspects, and we should not have sold it.

In closing, to add to the original post, these once “very” expensive cars are now cheap for a very good reason.

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
That's not good Patrick. I am aware that the Turbo 1.6 litre engine which is currently used by MINI, BMW and Peugeot/Citroen has a major problem with the timing chain despite the engine being awarded for its efficiency and design. The plastic casssette holding the timing chain is prone to breaking with disasterous results - and again if the cars are serviced by an authorised agent then the issue is rectified as part of a normal service and nothing is said to the owner. I am aware of one authorised Peugeot/Citroen service agent who gave up the agancy simply because this rectification was costing them money and time - the allowance for the work by PSA was not adequate.
It's also true that some early Silver Shadows were given a complete new floor pan during a regular service and York Motors had a team who could strip the interior, replace the floorpan and re-install the interior overnight without a word being said to the owner the next day. I know this because I know the person who was Head of Service at the time.....
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I think to discuss matters freely one way or another, is what TK should be all about. TK should cater for many facets of car ownership, preferably details of repairs and the cost involved, what we experience when we add another car to our stable and whatever experience you have/had with the cars, we should be free to discuss any other make of car and perhaps even some of our private likes and dislikes. We need not be an "Open Book", but it is great to share knowledge. This thread is partly achieving the targets that I envisage to be part of TK, and certainly no harm has been done. Thank you to everyone. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It is fair to say that even the BMW Mini does not enjoy a good reputation judging by the information is available on the net. Costs of parts are horrendous, and reliability appears not to be its strongest suit. Plus it is hellishly expensive NEW for what you get, and losing big time in the Depreciation Stakes. Regards Styria

N..B. Thank you Patrick for your comprehensive reply.
Michel - you are a man of many talents - next thing you tell me that you have command of the Romanian language. I wouldn't put it past you.

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
What a great thread.

Imagine a Silver Shadow being gutted and re fitted overnight.
What a job.

Yes,
A mate of mine bought his wife an Audi A2.
Nothing but trouble from the time they owned it, until the time they traded it on a VW Tiguan Wolfsburg.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I would run not walk away from any current diesel second hand if its fitted with a PDF . As having seen what happens when they block intake with soot and go into limp home mode and they all do .You are looking at a bill literally that will make your eyes water to clean out intake and everything attached