6.9 they need saving

More threads by 260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Three 6.9 they are in much need of restoration.

6.9 are at Salt Ash.

Attachments

• Silver 6.9.jpg
    Silver 6.9.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Silver 6.9 (2).jpg
    Silver 6.9 (2).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Blue 6.9.jpg
    Blue 6.9.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 6.9.jpg
    6.9.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 15

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Strictly parts only.
Which parts?
Engine and ancillaries, gearbox diff and all suspension components.
To be put aside, and rebuilt if and as when required.

They made seven thousand odd 6.9's, so it's the 6.9 parts specific that should be retained.
They made nearly half a million W116's, so body parts in theory should always be more readily available.

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like only two cars to me. The silver one might be worth saving as a whole car... The other one is junk and only worth saving anything that's not melted

Styria

The Godfather
I think the silver car, if it is the same, (and I suspect it is) has been the subject of discussion previously on TK. I recall bb (Brendan) looking at the car some three years ago. It had been left with the guy at Saltash to be sold, but it was a transaction badly and irresponsibly dealt with by leaving the car parked under a tree, with a very rusty roof, poor interior, but the owner had spent a lot of money on the suspension prior to placing it on consignment with the owner of the Saltash property.

I did ring the car's owner at the time, and he was aware of what was happening to his car, but by the looks of it, he never got the chance to sort out the situation. A most unfortunate incident. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
From my records, the silver one is a 1979 model #5715.
It's been out of rego since 2006.

Styria

The Godfather
From my records, the silver one is a 1979 model #5715.
It's been out of rego since 2006.

Michel, how can you allocate the chassis number quoted by you and being particular to the car now being shown as a Saltash car ? Question also to Tim - did you take the photographs ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Michel, how can you allocate the chassis number quoted by you and being particular to the car now being shown as a Saltash car ? Regards Styria

I checked the rego against the RMS website and it gave me the last 4 digits of the VIN. Then I checked it against the registry that NATHAN had given me and it showed that car and a little more history...

Oversize

Grand Master
You should be a detective Michel! :cool:;):D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Photo's of the 6.9's are from the MBCCC Facebook site.

I am a Member of the MBCCC and I know the guy who took the photos I will see him on Saturday.

Styria

The Godfather
I checked the rego against the RMS website and it gave me the last 4 digits of the VIN. Then I checked it against the registry that NATHAN had given me and it showed that car and a little more history...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michel, do you know if this is the car that has been previously discussed ? Did it belong to a guy called "Alfred", and was he the one, and is this the car, that was handed to the owner of the property on consignment ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Styria; Michel said:
All I can give you is a bit more history as per my Excel spread sheet.
It was previously registerd as AFI84M (which at the moment is not assigned to any car).
Previously seen at the Darling Harbour Classic, Goodmans Auctions as Lot 315 (I believe in 1998).
The expected auction price was between 22-24K, but was passed in.

That's all I have.

-bb-

Noble
Wow what blast from the past! I can't believe they are still there! I visited them in back in 2008 when someone was interested in the silver car (obviously never purchased it) and stumbled on the burnt one while there.

Here are some videos I took at the time that are still up on YouTube.

The silver car:

The burnt car:

Threads from the time:

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47

http://topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63&page=2

http://www.topklasse.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166

http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/torched-aussie-6-9/msg50318/#msg50318

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
I'd imagine they'd be a lot worse for wear in the 6 years since that video was taken! And they weren't too good back then... :eek:

-bb-

Noble
I want to see them in the metal again. I'm in that area regularly (have to go past there to get to my father's house). Will drop in next time I'm going past.