107 Imports

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Just found out that 280 107's were Imported by Mercedes in the mid Seventies for a couple of years. Identifying mine as a "Private Import" seems to put people off purchasing, like it is some kind of orphan with no availability of parts. I'll remove these words from my ads to allay any fears.
Sean

A

Afro107

One does not have to be well informed and a simple look at the VIN will tell if your car is an import or not.
Imports should not put off a non-consumer buyer, quite opposite.

Consumers are not attracted by top imports for valid reasons but well balanced price tag will attract those buyers with limited elbow grease.

When I am ready for my next classic Merc, an import will be at the top of the list.
I work on my own cars, I love cars with better spec engine and, IMO, import were usually less sun abused.
Import in this case being a HK, JPN or a RSA car.
UK cars, a.k.a. rust buckets, are off the list unless exceptional in every aspect.

End of the day, any car will sell for any price as long as there is a time to wait for the right buyer.

got a link to your car FS ad?

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
There is a lot of myth surrounding "imports" and I have been reliably informed by well-intentioned people that an import is not as good as an Australian made Benz. Huh? Maybe there is a factory just outside Sunshine that I have never heard of?????
I would think twice about buying an import though from a country that puts salt on the road in winter unless I had the opportunity to have a poke around underneath with a screwdriver...
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Import has always constituted a dirty word for some, sometimes perhaps for good reasons that are best known to the detractors themselves. Sure enough, England and Hong Kong are not real favourites, primarily on account of possible rust issues with English cars, and an unduly hot and humid climate in HK - plus, in HK, cars hardly ever get out of second gear on account of heavy traffic.

Gleaming Beauty (my 6.9) was originally exported to Kenya, presumably as a Hire or Diplomatic car. It used to be 050, Taxi White. However, being a German Export, it has the high compression engine with the different camshafts. I have always found that the high compression or dirty engine sounds different to the Australian version. Regarding non-OZ complied cars, there can be some variations or idiosyncrasies that can apply to overseas cars, particularly those from South Africa. I also think, Sean, that you need to consider the advertised price on your car. It is substantial and that may put off some prospective purchasers. In addition, rightly or wrongly, to some the V8 version can be more attractive. Regards. Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well you are right Styria, price has a big influence , unfortunately some want a concourse car for the price they see some of the stuff going through auctions. I'll let my car run for the duration of the current Unique Cars magazine to see if the right buyer turns up. I'm in no hurry to sell except that I don't have anywhere to store it. It's a nuisance squeezed into my driveway.

I have in mind to ask for highest offer over $20K. I know we never recoup all the money spent bringing a car up to scratch, but it's hard to write of so much money over such a short time. Probably $10 Grand in a couple of years.

Sean

A

Afro107

Well you are right Styria, price has a big influence , unfortunately some want a concourse car for the price they see some of the stuff going through auctions. I'll let my car run for the duration of the current Unique Cars magazine to see if the right buyer turns up. I'm in no hurry to sell except that I don't have anywhere to store it. It's a nuisance squeezed into my driveway.

I have in mind to ask for highest offer over $20K. I know we never recoup all the money spent bringing a car up to scratch, but it's hard to write of so much money over such a short time. Probably $10 Grand in a couple of years.

Sean

IMO, that is the very thing that should done before the spending rather than after. It saves a lot of heartache
There is absolutely no financial appreciation of these cars that are abundant and relatively young.

I think that you could sell your 280SL (english red?) for the asking price
A prospective buyer will have to agree with your norms of evaluation and patience is a virtue that will bring him to you.
Lack of either warrants for some adjustment, like everywhere.

@ Styria

I inspected a few UK and HK cars (C107's, R129's) and so far none HK cars had any obvious rust issues where all the UK cars had something developing or well into matastasis. It must have been a coincidence, I will definitely take your input into consideration.

abl567

Super Moderator
Sean, If you need/want secure undercover storage Sydney Metro for the 107 drop me a line, I can help:D