107 break upgrades

More threads by ajsimpson

ajsimpson

Hello everyone, I have been in China for the past few years and cannot get access to the site over there.
I want to upgrade the breaking system on my car. Upgrading to a larger rotor & calipers would obviously give greater braking power, but it would also allow access to much better types of break pads.
The break dust displayed on newly cleaned wheels from traveling around the block in some cases is just too much to bare.
I have read that Akebono <http://www.akebonobrakes.com/index.asp> makes a ceramic pad that will fit onto (I believe) the 129 500SL, that people seem to be quite happy with. I'm sure that there other companies out there with comparable pads, but the smaller pads, just like smaller tyres, limit ones choices.
Has anyone considered, or know about swapping their break setup?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, A.J.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi A.J. - I don't think a lot is known as far as brake modifications are concerned - I have reason to believe that a swap from a W126 set-up is possible, and can be carried out, but I have no real knowledge about the modification.

The braking system from a R129 would be vastly different, and I doubt if you could adapt it to a 116 or 107 for that matter. With the speed restrictions so rigidly enforced in this country, particularly in the states of Victoria and New South Wales, and getting lower and more severely punished constantly by substantial fines and loss of licence points, a well set up standard braking system should provide plenty of sufficient stopping power. Regarding the brake dust, I can supply you with units that are just about dust free, and I have used them successfully for a number of years now. They're about $A70.00 for the fronts. Regards Styria

OP
A

ajsimpson

Hi Styria,
I understand what your saying about the ever increasing speed restrictions going on in that part of the world. China too, they have cameras all along the highways & on every corner. But, then again driving over there is a whole nother matter. Not that I would like it, but somehow I think I could swallow it easier if a govt. would come to me and say "I need X more money from you this year", and let me go on with my life. Don't crawl behind a rock on the side of the road, or hang a tiny camera from a pole that I can't see. Embezzle like a man, be up front, and not like some cheap hooker with only one date for the night.
Any way, I have searched up & down, front to back and have yet to find anything on the subject.
Once again it looks like R&D is in my future.
Tell me more about the pads that you have.
I have not yet come to the point of griping about lack luster breaks, but I'll probably get to it.
The break dust is killing me, though. Few things look more horrible & disgusting than black break dust on an otherwise clean car. I can't get around the block with this setup, and you couldn't pay me to use I those break shields.
Thanks, A.J.

Styria

The Godfather
Well A.J., not that much to tell about the pads - they are available for both the front and the rear. The rears are about $3.20 cheaper. Brakingt efficiency, or lack thereof, is not an issue with those pads, although they take about a fortnight to settle in properly. As well, I always endeavour to use my brakes lightly, and I try to avoid heavy braking during the settling in period. Brake pad life is about 30K. Regards Styria

A

Afro107

If you want to go 15" or 16" ET30+ wheels and larger brake discs from late 560 cars you could replace upper + lower arms and steering nuckle from these cars.
It would give you 4 pot calipers braking and larger discs (rotors).
Apparently subrame is identical from 1st to the last 107.
I did not check this my self, I read it somewhere on another forum

That would be quickest upgrade with minimum engineering.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Afro107, welcome to topklasse. Your information regarding the 107 subframe is interesting, and I certainly had not been aware of this. Plus, do you mean to say that 560s had four pot calipers on the fronts ? I have not owned a 107, let alone 560 etc., and it would be interesting if in fact they had four potters. Regards Styria

BTW - perhaps others with more intimate knowledge than myself might be able to shed further light on this matter.

A

Afro107

I am not 100% sure.
AFAIK, later 560SL 107 with wheels having offset ET30 and more had control arms a bit longer thus geting deeper into the wheel, probably for knuckle to be in the centre of the wheel. Also, steering coupler was longer for obvious reason. Disc (rotor) was with biger radius (hence 15" or 16" wheels) but not sure if 4 pots were optional (like AMG) or standard. Should have some relation to W124 parts (if not the same) or W126.
If subrame is not compatable with both arms types, the whole subrame assembly should be.
Before you venture into buying one, please measure and check for your self.

All this info I got from Benzworld.com and chassis/body paper manuals.

OP
A

ajsimpson

Hey Afro107, Excuse my late thanks for the info. Way busy doing other stuff. I think that I once saw that info from Benzworld and could not locate it again. I think that this upgrade will also give you the ability to use the later style wheels too. I have a very nice set that I purchased a few years back but I think that they are for a 500sl, but I think that they will fit a 560. The question now becomes, how do I handle the rear? Whatta ya gotta do, change the whole rear assembly?
A.J.

Styria

The Godfather
Hey Afro107, Excuse my late thanks for the info. Way busy doing other stuff. I think that I once saw that info from Benzworld and could not locate it again. I think that this upgrade will also give you the ability to use the later style wheels too. I have a very nice set that I purchased a few years back but I think that they are for a 500sl, but I think that they will fit a 560. The question now becomes, how do I handle the rear? Whatta ya gotta do, change the whole rear assembly?
A.J.

Hi AJ, I am not being a 'smartie pants', but it's got to be the 64K. question, hasn't it ? I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. BTW Afro 107, have you carried out much work on your car, and do you find it reliable as an everyday conveyance ? Regards Styria

OP
A

ajsimpson

Hi AJ, I am not being a 'smartie pants', but it's got to be the 64K. question, hasn't it ? I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.

Don't worry Styria, I'm not insulted, but I'm not exactly sure if I know what that means?
Anyway, I am now on the lookout for a full front & rear suspension from a 560SL.

Does anyone know if you can swap in the suspension parts from the 126 SEC model?

I really want to use those bigger breaks!

A.J.